2021 Tracer 9 GT - First Oil Change

Bernard

• Premium Member

I bought a oil filter cap wrench many moons ago that was specified to fit a Toyota and such.  Being for autos it was cheaper .  I just brought with me a Yamaha OEM filter to check cap wrenches, and also checked MC filters by Mobil 1 and Purolator PL14610 auto filters (that I also use)I just grabbed off the shelf.

Only issue with this cap wrench is I must use a spacer on the  ratchet drive because the cap wrench is too thin and the ratchet drive extends through it and pushs the cap out of engagement with the filter. 

5 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I've never found a correctly fitting cap wrench for a non-insane price here, but never looked hard either.

Mind you, I just use a pair of channel lock pliers and *grab* that filter, so I haven't looked in forever. Destroys it in the process, but it wasn't going back on the bike anyways  

Ugh!  The horror!  I thought I was old school, and even I use a band style oil filter wrench.  Your channellocks must have nice new sharp teeth.

On 4/3/2022 at 9:57 AM, Skidood said:

Ugh!  The horror!  I thought I was old school, and even I use a band style oil filter wrench.  Your channellocks must have nice new sharp teeth.

Nah, they're 20 year old Walmart ones.  I just set them tight enough to crush the filter sufficiently to get good grip.  

I actually own an old school band style stench strap wrench (what an odd autocorrect) and really like it,  but it doesn't go small enough for the little Yamaha filters. 

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 1

8 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I actually own an old school band style stench and really like it,  but it doesn't go small enough for the little Yamaha filters. 

Same here. Love that wrench. Doesn't slip since it tightens with the turn and applies the twist efficiently.

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS