2021 Tracer 9 GT - First Oil Change

Bernard

Hi all, I'm sure several of you have done your first 600 mile maintenance and beyond on your 2021 T9 GT's... curious if anyone can link the relevant oil filter? I ordered an OEM: A-5GH-13440-61-00 based off PartZilla/BikeBandit/etc. 

Curious if there is a K&N or similar aftermarket variant? K&N's website simply reports back an error with no available parts matching the MTT9GT.

Thanks as always and looking forward to the many years ahead.

Edited by Bernard

I had the dealer perform my 600 mile check-up and he installed the exact Yamaha filter you list. 

Here are the items he replaced at this check: Oil Filter, Drain Plug Gasket, and 10W40 Oil.

image.png.8accd63d16d37a17bcb6cbfe159d90af.png

Edited by TracerNed
added info
  • Thumbsup 1

Best bet is to use the Yamaha oem filter. Especially so during the warranty period. Those oem filters are easy to find at the Yam dealers, and online. They don’t cost much, and each filter is good for up to 8k miles. It’s hard to find a reason not to use the oem filter. 

• Thumbsup 3

I bought a handful of oem Yamaha filters from Rocky Mountain ATV at about $9 each. If you buy enough moto stuff your shipping is free. The filters are not going to go bad sitting on the shelf and you'll always have one on hand.

Edited by Cogswell
  • Thumbsup 1

Thanks all! Definitely going OEM at least through the warranty period. My main reason for an aftermarket oil filter is to easily wrench it off with a socket and torque a new one on to spec. I'll just get it hand-tight and be sure to leave my hulk hands in the toolbox... I do have a handful of KN-204's from my FZ6/FZ1 but the volume of the filter appears a bit different, likely still usable but may require a bit more oil to be in the proper range. Probably overthinking it all as usual. 🙂

1 hour ago, Bernard said:

Thanks all! Definitely going OEM at least through the warranty period. My main reason for an aftermarket oil filter is to easily wrench it off with a socket and torque a new one on to spec. I'll just get it hand-tight and be sure to leave my hulk hands in the toolbox... I do have a handful of KN-204's from my FZ6/FZ1 but the volume of the filter appears a bit different, likely still usable but may require a bit more oil to be in the proper range. Probably overthinking it all as usual. 🙂

That K&N 204 is used in several Yamaha engines, the Tracers included in that bunch. The FJR is obviously a bigger engine than the 900 Tracers, and that's the filter which is used in that engine. All I have used in my Tracer for 3 oil changes, and the filter brand of choice for the last 4 bikes I have owned.

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, Bernard said:

Thanks all! Definitely going OEM at least through the warranty period. My main reason for an aftermarket oil filter is to easily wrench it off with a socket and torque a new one on to spec. 

Exactly. And the same reason I use K&Ns on my bikes. Filters as good as OEM also.

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, TracerNed said:

I had the dealer perform my 600 mile check-up and he installed the exact Yamaha filter you list. 

Here are the items he replaced at this check: Oil Filter, Drain Plug Gasket, and 10W40 Oil.

image.png.8accd63d16d37a17bcb6cbfe159d90af.png

Ok but why 2 drain bolt "gaskets" and 4 quarts of oil? 😏

1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

The Hiflo's are also great filters and I have used them as well, and any issues with K&N are greatly exaggerated.

Balls if you ask me. I have used umpteen and none have had any failures and the oil looks just the same as with the OEM BMW or Yamaha filters. I have used them on a BMW R1200RS, S1000R and now the Tracer 900GT. It is popular to knock K&N oil and air filters on the interwebs for various reasons. Of course everyone is free to make whatever choices they like and whatever they see as best for them.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

I am not sure why they used 2 drain bolt gaskets.  I thought the same thing when I posted this, did not really pay attention at the time.  I will ask when I take it in for the recall. 

As for the 4 quarts of oil instead of 3.4, as you probably know this is normal shop practice to round up.