The dumbest reason a quickshifter refused to work for months....

image.png.7af0fd864cf8a29f67456a2cd6a98d7a.png

Just that. The 02 sensor connection was not even 1 single Millimetre out of its socket.
I'm going to make a little aluminium cover for it.

It feels like the bike refused to run due to the alignment of the planets or something.... DUMB DUMB DUMB.

Edited by GeeAndTea
i cannot spell
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Confused 1

• Supporting Member

dumb...but a cheap fix!

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

It is only dumb if ya didnt figure it out.

I chased a fueling issue for over a year on my Seca and got so frustrated I bought the GT. 

As I was buttoning it for storage, the issue jump right out at me. The Seca has a vacuum operated fuel pump. Bout a year before , I changed the fuel filter. Alot of people complain about removing the tank to do so.

After looking at where the fuel filter was mounted, I thought they were crazy. The nut to remove the fuel filter was right there on a threaded stud. Undid nut, replace fuel filter, put nut back on threaded stud.

Turns out that “thread stud” was a long bolt that held the cover of the fuel pump in place as well as a fre more As I tightened the nut, that bolt backed out and was about a inch above the cover and twp other cover screws next to it were also loose. I tighten em, parked the Seca snd hadnt been ridden since.

It all made sense  because  the fueling issue only occur after steady  rpm with a small throttle opening. With such a small throttle opening and a vacuum leak, there was not enough vacuum to operate the fuel pump, so the carbs were running out of gas…..that is intil I open the throttle more creating enough vacuum for the fuel pump to operate.

CV carbs can be so much fun…..

Edited by duckie
  • Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, GeeAndTea said:

The 02 sensor connection was not even 1 single Millimetre out of its socket.

OK, I'm missing something here... how does the O2 sensor affect the quick shifter? 🤷‍♀️

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

11 hours ago, betoney said:

OK, I'm missing something here... how does the O2 sensor affect the quick shifter? 🤷‍♀️

I was thinking the same thing. The only thing I can think of is, for some reason, if certain types errors are sensed certain functions will be disabled. 
Because the 02 controls mostly fueling, the powers that be decided to disable the QS on a O2 error.

Just a WAG.

This does not make sense to me and i'll tell you why. My Tracer GT is 100% stock but my XSR900 is not.

I installed aftermarket exhaust on my 19 XSR900 and had the ECU remapped. At the advice of the tuner i also deleted my 02 sensor and plugged/capped it off. I have the OEM Yamaha quickshifter installed on the bike and it still works fine without the 02 sensor.

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

15 hours ago, duckie said:

It is only dumb if ya didnt figure it out.

I chased a fueling issue for over a year on my Seca and got so frustrated I bought the GT. 

As I was buttoning it for storage, the issue jump right out at me. The Seca has a vacuum operated fuel pump. Bout a year before , I changed the fuel filter. Alot of people complain about removing the tank to do so.

After looking at where the fuel filter was mounted, I thought they were crazy. The nut to remove the fuel filter was right there on a threaded stud. Undid nut, replace fuel filter, put nut back on threaded stud.

Turns out that “thread stud” was a long bolt that held the cover of the fuel pump in place as well as a fre more As I tightened the nut, that bolt backed out and was about a inch above the cover and twp other cover screws next to it were also loose. I tighten em, parked the Seca snd hadnt been ridden since.

It all made sense  because  the fueling issue only occur after steady  rpm with a small throttle opening. With such a small throttle opening and a vacuum leak, there was not enough vacuum to operate the fuel pump, so the carbs were running out of gas…..that is intil I open the throttle more creating enough vacuum for the fuel pump to operate.

CV carbs can be so much fun…..

Have a Honda Metropolitian scooter.  Has a fancy electronic fuel pump that is controlled by the computer - yes computer but not FI.  Old fuel pump went bad and had bee replaced by a vacuum fuel pump.  I bought it when it would not run.  Computer looking for resistance of fuel pump!  Old fuel pump was left in place - it overheated and melted and fell off!  I tricked the computer with a set of power resistors that mimicked the old fuel pump load.  Ran OK but wound up buying a wrecked scooter and getting computer form it along with the fuel pump I had bought.  Still working today!  Not sure the old computer was bad but still came out OK.  Bought wrecked scooter for $200 and sold parts left over for about that.  My other scooter has fuel injection, so much easier than carbs, until the computer messes up.

3 hours ago, metallion said:

This does not make sense to me and i'll tell you why. My Tracer GT is 100% stock but my XSR900 is not.

I installed aftermarket exhaust on my 19 XSR900 and had the ECU remapped. At the advice of the tuner i also deleted my 02 sensor and plugged/capped it off. I have the OEM Yamaha quickshifter installed on the bike and it still works fine without the 02 sensor.

I don't know what to tell you. Moving the 02 sensor connector did the trick.

• Thumbsup 1

Ok, inquring minds need to know….good point about deleting O2 sensor and QS still works. But did the remap have anything to do with it.

So, with the 02 not connected, were there any error codes? There should have been. 

Also, there is a difference in a connector not being fully seated and the pins of the connector not making contact. 

Edited by duckie

I am not sure if the remap had anything to do with it. Going back to 2020 i do recall the tuner (Flashed by VCycleNut on fz09.org forum and facebook) asking me if i wanted the ECU mapped for certain things. 02 delete was one of them. I was skiddish about it at first but he thoroughly explained the benefit of doing so and i gave him the OK. I don't think i personally could detect the 02 sensor activating and de-activating while riding but he is a racer and knows his stuff when it comes to precise mapping.

He told me there would be codes and the engine light would illuminate at first fire-up as it did. He also told me how to easily clear the codes with a simple OBD2 code reader and gave me the amazon link to buy the Yamaha adapter cable. Now that i recall this it seems very possible that the remap is probably why the 02 disconnect does not affect the quickshifter on my XSR.  

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

VCycleNut flashed my 2019 and included the O2 sensor delete, I never had to clear any codes afterwards and  never had a problem with my QS either.  (other than having a lazy ankle and messing up the 1-2 shift, lol)