Another Oil Thread (Sorry...........) re Rotella, API SG and up AND JASO MA & MA2

So, much discussion on the ST-Owners forum re Rotella T4, T5 and T6 and Shell's compliance to JASO MA + MA2 as well as dropping of API SG and more recent gas engine suitability.

I understand that Shell indicates compliance or equivalency to JASO MA + MA2, but is not actually certified by JASO. I'm OK with that.  If memory serves me correctly (a dubious assumption I'm told.........) Rotella used to have reference to meeting or exceeding API SG, SM etc. but those gas engine references have been dropped and Rotella now indicates the diesel engine CK-4 standard only.

Question: Are people comfortable continuing to use T4 dino or T6 full synthetic in their Tracer if the labeling no longer references the gas engine SG and up compliance?  If not, have you moved to another non motorcycle specific oil that is compliant to API SG and JASO MA / MA2?

• Supporting Member

This thread discusses that:

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Did they change the oil or just drop the certifications?  If the chemical composition of the oil hasn't changed I would keep on using it, should be able to get the sheet that describes the properties and additives and compare with the standards.  Probably lots of discussion on Bob the Oil Guy.

I've used T5  and T6 in the past but not in a while.  There are several folks on here that have been using T6 for tens of thousands of miles without any issues.  Last bike I used it on was a Yamaha FZ6.  Seemed like the bike would make more valve train noise sooner than with some other oil brands.  Yup totally un-scientific for sure!  That bike had a gearbox that could be somewhat finicky about low RPM slow and lazy shifts, high RPM fast shifts were always butter smooth.  Some oils shifted better than others.

It's another oil thread.

🍿 time to sit back and watch the show 🙂

• Thumbsup 2

9 hours ago, KellyL said:

I was also of the understanding that API was redundant if JASO MA/MA2 specs are claimed, as it's more stringent than API for [Japanese] moto applications. According to Rymax, any oil with JASO MA/MA2/MB etc already meets/exceeds API SG, SH, SJ, SL, and/or SM.

I had not seen this before, so good info. Rotella T6 claims MA / MA2 compliance and the Rymax link indicates that by definition this means is meets or exceeds API SG.

• JASO MA: This is the standard specification for oils that are used within one oil system (where the engine, gearbox and clutch use the same oil). These oils don’t contain any friction modifiers.
  • JASO MA2: This is a higher standard specification for modern motorcycles. These oils are suitable for use in motorcycles that have catalytic converters in the exhaust system.

The Tracer has a cat, so JASO MA2 compliant oil should be OK.

Other links supporting the "if MA2 then SG and up compliant" premise.

https://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/JASO_MA_JASO_MB.php

https://www.repairsmith.com/i/blog/jaso-ma2/

2 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Doesn't matter, stick with any 40 or 50 weight oil and you are gonna be good to go.

Oh, this you can't do.  Not "any". 

I mean, your engine won't explode, but wet clutch bikes and friction modifiers = slipping clutches.  Maybe not an issue if you never push your bike hard, though.

But realistically as long as you're using a decent oil of the correct viscosity without friction modifiers (most automotive oil), it'll be fine.  Covered by warranty?  No, it won't be, so if you're still under warranty make sure you follow the manual recommended specifications if you care about that. 

20 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Oh, this you can't do.  Not "any". 

I mean, your engine won't explode, but wet clutch bikes and friction modifiers = slipping clutches.  Maybe not an issue if you never push your bike hard, though.

But realistically as long as you're using a decent oil of the correct viscosity without friction modifiers (most automotive oil), it'll be fine.  Covered by warranty?  No, it won't be, so if you're still under warranty make sure you follow the manual recommended specifications if you care about that. 

Any weight of 40 or higher has so little amount of friction modifiers if any at all, there is nothing energy conserving about a 40 or 50 weight oil. I personally run a true PAO synthetic motorcycle oil, but too many worry about oil too much when it comes to motorcycles, it's actually quite interesting to me. :)

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/20/2022 at 6:55 AM, draco_1967 said:

I would still be using T6 if I could find any. It has become very hard to find anywhere. Fortunately, I still have 3 gallons, which should get me through the next year of riding between two bikes. 

I bought T6 yesterday at an O'Reilly's auto store in Clovis CA. I have been using T6 on my Tracer 900 GT since I bought it new shortly after it came out. And before that I used T6 on my FJ09 before I got the Tracer.

btw, it was harder to find the T6 here in California than it was in Washington State where I lived before my move down to California. But I did find it at the 2nd auto parts store I tried, so unless I was just lucky, it seems like it is generally available. It may be a COVID thing that it is just harder to get now vs prior to the COVID issue

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, DavidS said:

I bought T6 yesterday at an O'Reilly's auto store in Clovis CA. I have been using T6 on my Tracer 900 GT since I bought it new shortly after it came out. And before that I used T6 on my FJ09 before I got the Tracer.

btw, it was harder to find the T6 here in California than it was in Washington State where I lived before my move down to California. But I did find it at the 2nd auto parts store I tried, so unless I was just lucky, it seems like it is generally available. It may be a COVID thing that it is just harder to get now vs prior to the COVID issue

I might have to give the Rotella a try. I have used Castrol Power1 for years but the price just shot up 60%. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I've bought it on Amazon and also a brand called quicksilver which is also a synthetic With jaso spec

It's cheap as you can get it in the brick and mortar without having to go out and spend gas money