tracer swingarm on fj

trevinator

1 minute ago, peteinpa said:

Impressive!  Good sticking to it and making it work.

I on the other hand like my quick steering and flickability.  The key to avoid instability is a light grip on the bars. You can't fight an oscillation, just grip lightly and it will be stable. 

there was no avoiding the 100mph death wobble with the panniers and stock swingarm. the bar ends would move back and forth at least an inch when going that fast, and it was very unnerving. this has almost completely solved it. the wheelbase was just too short to be stable. its still flickable, but now its also stable at speed. if you had ridden my bike with the wobble it had at those speeds, you would think twice about passing a car.

Seems to be a lot of variables involved with the shake. I got my bike used and ran it up to the then 115 mph limit. No problems. At the time no bags, trunk, or hand guards. It has a V-Stream Sport windshield.

Now Shad small bags, ECU tune now no governor.  I've had it it over 120, no problems.

Can't call it.

Edit:  That's it! It's the beak!

Edited by peteinpa
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Congrats on the mod. 👍

Did you notice it affect your rear suspension?

i have not ridden my daily commute yet, so i dont have a good read on that yet. but so far, from the bit i have ridden it, it feels about the same if not a little more plush and it feels like the shock isnt so much of a pogo stick. it feels more planted. i'll know better tomorrow on the way to work, but so far, i really like it.

• Thumbsup 1

49 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Seems to be a lot of variables involved with the shake. I got my bike used and ran it up to the then 115 mph limit. No problems. At the time no bags, trunk, or hand guards. It has a V-Stream Sport windshield.

Now Shad small bags, ECU tune now no governor.  I've had it it over 120, no problems.

Can't call it.

Edit:  That's it! It's the beak!

without the panniers, it was fine, no wobble. but my girl has some WIDE hips to carry all my luggage.

EDIT: the beak actually helped the aerodynamics.

20220530_180254_HDR.jpg

20220530_180306_HDR.jpg

20220530_181123_HDR.jpg

Edited by trevinator
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Yikes!  Those panniers are huge, no wonder!  With my Shad SH36 panniers and SH46 top box, tank bag and pillion dry bag (and KTM hand guards + stock size but thicker DB with small spoiler) I have no stability issues up to 110 but I really  don't go there often, fully loaded or not sans panniers and pillion bag.  Now my forks have been revalved + .95 springs and I have a K-Tech Razor R shock.  Maybe your suspension is a factor?

One thing I've learned when packing for a tour is to layout everything you think you want to bring along, then put back half of it.

Cute little kitty!!!

IMG_9603.jpg

CoverCollage_1617635367601.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

Yea, I found with the new ohlins rear shock and stoltec carts with .95 springs that most of my issue is gone. Ill definitely still get a steering stabilizer after i flash the ecu but the suspension quelled 85% of the wobble. I bet the hand guards would fix another 5%, but i am jealous of your tenacity. You went balls deep on the project and it worked haha Looking good man, thats a dope Tracer

• Like 1

Rode it to work and back yesterday. On the way home I noticed the rear bottom out a couple times. So I figure, whats another upgrade? Ordered a 09-12 zx6r rear shock with what appears to be an aftermarket progressive spring already installed. I'm hoping I can find a number on the spring to identify it, but if not, I'll try it out and if it's too soft still I'll get a spring. But at least this way I will have MUCH more adjustability. High/low speed compression, rebound and preload.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

You may need to cut the saddle tray to install...

I might try to install it with the reservoir facing down, but we'll see how it fits and what allows for the easiest access to the adjusters.

On 5/31/2022 at 8:04 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

Yikes!  Those panniers are huge, no wonder!  With my Shad SH36 panniers and SH46 top box, tank bag and pillion dry bag (and KTM hand guards + stock size but thicker DB with small spoiler) I have no stability issues up to 110 but I really  don't go there often, fully loaded or not sans panniers and pillion bag.  Now my forks have been revalved + .95 springs and I have a K-Tech Razor R shock.  Maybe your suspension is a factor?

One thing I've learned when packing for a tour is to layout everything you think you want to bring along, then put back half of it.

Cute little kitty!!!

IMG_9603.jpg

CoverCollage_1617635367601.jpg

what spring rate did you go with for the rear shock? im about 275 and racetech was calling for a 12.8ish rear and 1.04ish front spring rate. the 2019 tracer, they call for a 13.0 rear rate, which im guessing the slightly higher rate is due to the longer swingarm. i have an 11.6 spring sitting on the counter for the zx6r shock i ordered because i would prefer a softer ride for commuting. i just ordered a set of 90kg racetech fork springs as well to balance it out with the heavier spring in the back. i also have a zx10r shock with a 10.7kg spring on the way as well, just in case i find the 11.6 too stiff. for $35, i figure why not.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, trevinator said:

i have an 11.6 spring sitting on the counter for the zx6r shock i ordered because i would prefer a softer ride for commuting. i just ordered a set of 90kg racetech fork springs as well to balance it out with the heavier spring in the back.

The .90kg fork springs should be way soft for your weight, I'm 210# and use .95kg springs

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

9 minutes ago, betoney said:

The .90kg fork springs should be way soft for your weight, I'm 210# and use .95kg springs

my bike still has the stock springs and it seems ok to me...... thats why im hesitant on going with the recommended weight springs for fear that they will be stiffer than i want. both the rear 11.6 and front .90 springs are a x1.3 rate increase approximately, so it should still be balanced. i was just concerned when i got the new 11.6 rear spring and its nearly incompressible!