Shifting

So I’m new in the world of motorcycles. I was looking around and found a 2019 tracer 900 for a good deal. I took it for a test ride and was able to shift without using the clutch, but only at high RPMS. So my first thought is cool it has a quickshifter installed. Bought it, rode it home, started to work on it a little and I realized it doesn’t have a quickshifter like I thought and was told. So my question is why was I able to shift at high RPMS if it doesn’t have a quickshifter on it?

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

You stumbled on an advanced technique :)

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

Personally I do not have one, but there are a few threads here that discuss installation and whatnot.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

The quickshifter was standard on the GT in 2019, but not on the base model Tracer.  Don't use mine a lot.  It's nice on occasion but its function is not the smoothest.  I have tried quickshifters on other bikes and they tend to do a better job.  I think the one that comes with the GT could be better calibrated.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member

I have a quick-shifter on my 2019 Niken and added the OEM quick-shifter to my 2017 FJ-09 and both work/worked great. They shift changes are really smooth over 4000rpm, below that they can be clunky. FWIW the manual calls for use above 12mph and 4000rpm. I had issues when I installed the one on my 2017 until I made a few slight changes to the rod travel length. Easy install and fun to have.

• Thumbsup 1

The QS on the 2019 only upshifts and is very cluncky at best.  I rode one in Spain and was very disappointed with it.  On the other hand I have a 2021 T9GT and the QS is awesome both up and down.  Once you get used to it you use it all the time.

• Thumbsup 1

My 21 Tracer GT has the QS on it, and it seems to work fine.  This is the first bike I've ever had with a QS.  I have come to like it, especially during high acceleration on-ramps.  Pulling clutch at 9krpm isn't as clean as a clutchless QS.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing wrong with the 19 GT QS.   Its operator error. There are times to use it and times not to use it. It is not design to be used all the time.

You got to be hard on the gas and in the upper rpm range for proper use of the QS. I can use it in 1st with no issue, but I am hard on the gas and wait to high rpms to use it.

• Thumbsup 2

• 1 month later...

Hello all, I’m reviving this thread to ask for help with a QS I have now installed. I’ve been using it for a little while now and want to make sure it was put on right. I bought the OEM shifter kit from Yamaha. I maker sure the distances were correct. My question is, when I upshift and I’m not at a high RMP, like really taking off, it almost feels like the bike “hiccups” when it goes to the next gear. I want to make sure this is normal and if it’s not how to fix it. Thanks I’m advance for the response.

@Nick62
The real "trick" for QS is you need to be accelerating, especially for 1-4 gears. Now we're not talking the sort of acceleration you get when stuffed in traffic coming off a green light, I'm talking you're taking the majority of the weight off the front wheel type of acceleration.  That's when it's fantastic, or at least for me.

With that being said, I also bang through the gears 4-6 while I'm just cruising as well using the QS, the higher gears don't seem to care one bit about acceleration.

Unfortunately this seems to be highly machine/rider dependent.  It's been debated back and forth about the measurements, angle... yada yada. Seems to make no difference for me. Not only have I rotated my QS off a cog on the spline, but also extended it quite a bit at the length.  Others I've seen have to fiddle with everything to make it "happy" in their own application.

Long story short, it's not an automatic shifter for lackadaisical shifting 1-4 gears. It's a quick shifter for when your on the beans, use it as such.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
38 minutes ago, Nick62 said:

Hello all, I’m reviving this thread to ask for help with a QS I have now installed. I’ve been using it for a little while now and want to make sure it was put on right. I bought the OEM shifter kit from Yamaha. I maker sure the distances were correct. My question is, when I upshift and I’m not at a high RMP, like really taking off, it almost feels like the bike “hiccups” when it goes to the next gear. I want to make sure this is normal and if it’s not how to fix it. Thanks I’m advance for the response.

What RPM are you at when you say 'when I upshift and I’m not at a high RMP'? Because if you are below 4000 - 5000rpm it's not meant to be used. I occasionally used to get the clunk when barely at 4000 rpm in the low gears, but couldn't reproduce it at higher RPM's. See your owners manual for proper operation. 

The “hiccup” is the QS cutting engine power for a set period of time. Cutting engine power takes pressure off the tranny gears in order to shift without the clutch. 
Using the clutch does the same thing only in a different way and takes longer to do so. 

Old school clutchless upshifts are done by preloading the shifter,then quickly blip the throttle to relieve engine pressure on the gears and upshifting during the blip. 

So if ya are  not going fast enough, you feel the power being cut more so than being on the gas.

Oh….I believe the QS switch is a pressure transducer. Meaning if the switch senses any pressure from the shift rod, it will activate.

The switch does not care about rod length or position…..just is there pressure on it or not. 

The only reason to fiddle with rod length and such is to match the shifting style and needs  of the rider and not to make the QS happy.