Just checking in

To let you know I'm still breathing.  :D

Pretty good Summer, didn't do a lot of riding this year, probably less than 1000 miles.  :(   Generally busy, plus family stuff.

I bought my daughter's 2022 Ninja 400 from her (because reasons...) and am rediscovering the fun of a little bike.  Kinda half-way looking for a set of used bags for the FJ as I'm starting to have problems swinging my leg up and over the tail bag, but I need the storage as I use the FJ a lot for quick trips to the grocery store.

PHWM1.jpg.5aa89c68c8b8cba08ab692006bc1f3b4.jpg

Between my two, the grandson and a neighbor, I've got a garage bay full of bikes for the Winter.  Even ran a new circuit to support all the battery tenders!

• Thumbsup 8
  • Like 1

My wife had a Z-400 for a short while.  Same bike as the ninja but a bit more neutral seating position.  I rode the bike once and I still feel the pain.  Extremely uncomfortable for me. 

I had that many bikes in my garage last winter, kid moved and took his cbr600 with him, wife sold her bonneville.  Now I'm down to the Tracer and the Honda Dream that is non-functional parts bike.  I have another dream that is on shelves or in ziplock bags. 

Yeah, I wouldn't want to ride the Ninja all day, or even for more than a couple of hours, but it's pretty fun in the twisties.

Daughter sold it partly for health reasons, and if she gets to a point where she wants to ride again, it'll be right here.

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, roadrash83 said:

phpaul, I don't see any XS650's in your pic's? I hope you haven't gone all modern on us🙂

Yeah, pretty much.  The XS was fun 40 years and as many pounds ago.  Not so much now...  I relived that for several years around 2010 or so, but the FJ, modern suspension, fuel injection and ABS pretty much took the shine off the Nostalgia Bike thing...:o   And Sweet Mother of Pearl, that CP3 engine...8)  I've been riding that bike for 7 seasons now and I still giggle like an 8 year old girl at a pajama party when I grab a handful of that thing!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Know what you mead about swinging the leg over.  With the top case on I have the grab my foot and "help" it over.  Keep thinking I'm going to do some limbering exercises but haven't gotten around to it - yet.  Doesn''t help my right knee is the one I shattered the kneecap on and is not quite as good as the left but its very close.

6 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Know what you mead about swinging the leg over.  With the top case on I have the grab my foot and "help" it over.  Keep thinking I'm going to do some limbering exercises but haven't gotten around to it - yet.  ...

I'm over 60 and find it's getting harder every year.  Top case or not, I usually have to kick my leg up and slide my foot across the seat, heel down.

I keep telling myself I'm going to start stretching ... yep, any day now.   🙄

• Thumbsup 1

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

• Premium Member

I've had to use the "Cowboy" mount for a few years even after my lumbar fusion.

Easy peasy once you gain confidence and learn not to park where the bike is leaned too far over to either side.

With my girth and mass I'm just worried about the sidestand snapping.

It's possible to Cowboy mount on the centerstand butting urging the bike forward off the centerstand is difficult and when you do catching forward momentum with the front brake and avoiding tipping sideways was always tricky for me, so I abandoned that method.

A by and by.  When you pull the bike up on the centerstand, even when trying to do so perfectly straight front to back and with the pivots lubed, to you hear a creaking, grinding sound that raises the hair on the back of your neck? Every time?

Center stand "cowboy mount"  (I like that!) is my preferred method.  Problem is getting off as I have to put it on the side stand, get off and then put it up on the center stand.  Once, while parked on the grass at a motorcycle show, the side stand dug in, I hooked a boot lace on the tail bag and the whole works landed on top of me.  The crowd in the parking area was considerate enough to turn away before they started laughing...

Using the "put your foot on the tang, grab the luggage rail and lift while pushing down with your foot" method makes it easy to get on the center stand, and I can still rock it off the stand after mounting without tipping over.

No odd noises that I can't attribute to knees...:o ;D

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

I have a tail bag and have to mount cowboy style on sidestand. I dismount by exactly reversing mount. I can mount and dismount normal if no tank bag. I weigh about 220 and believe the sidestand will withstand the rigors of me mounting and dismounting.

I'm 62 and not as agile as I was before.

The only issue I've had is when the ground is wet, mounting can be a challenge.

Can't believe I'm even talking about this stuff. Still think I'm 20. Ha

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, fr8dog said:

... Can't believe I'm even talking about this stuff. Still think I'm 20. Ha

My wife says I'm a 15 year old fool in an 80 year old body.  🤪

• Thumbsup 1

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

• Premium Member

My wife says I'm a 85 year old in a 68 year old body.

And that would mean my father, who unfortunately is still with us at 100, as only the good die young, was 15 when he spawned me.

"Huh, what did you say honey, I'm sorry, I didn't hear you dear?"

Selective hearing has been proven scientifically to be a real phenomenon.  Interestingly, men suffer from it almost exclusively compared to women.

• Supporting Member
38 minutes ago, phpaul said:

Your's too?  ;)

I think that’s a common spousal perspective.   She’ll periodically wander past as I’m doing something foolish, and casually ask “your life insurance is paid up, right?” 

• Haha 2