Helmet cleaning?

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member

Stumbled across this site looking for accessories. 

How often do you all clean your helmet?

Also this is the first time I've seen someone recommend applying carnauba wax to a face shield. Anyone attempt this?

https://www.araiamericas.com/care-and-cleaning

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member

Quite a lengthy thread here on helmet stink

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, betoney said:

The Shoei pads and liner are removable/ replaceable, I throw them in the wash once in awhile. 

That's my method as well FWIW (another SHOEI helmet).  Seems to freshen up the interior nicely. 🙂

• Thumbsup 2

On 3/1/2023 at 5:22 AM, maximNikenGT said:

How often do you all clean your helmet?

Also this is the first time I've seen someone recommend applying carnauba wax to a face shield. Anyone attempt this?

https://www.araiamericas.com/care-and-cleaning

I clean it when I come near passing out when I don my lid.  I mean, it's not like I'm sharing my helmet, so my nastiness is ok with me, as long as it doesn't interfere with consciousness. 

I've tried various things on my face shield over time, and I always come back to just cleaning it and leaving it alone. Invariably whatever miracle thing I put on will smudge, smear, or attract bees (looking at you, lemon pledge). 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Put  dryer sheet inside helmet on garage shelf. Spray with Fabreeze for fabrics. I switch between 3 helmets. As for face shield, I use a silicone type tech polish. Hot water soaks bugs away easily. Plexus is good but sure has gotten $$$$.

Wax is made for paint not for visors. Use a product made for the visor plastic. RainX or Plexus work very well. NO paper towels should be used either. They can scratch the visor . Use a wet wash rag or microfiber cloth to clean it.

Two things to add:

1) I clean my helmet interiors with, well, a helmet interior cleaning product. Crazy, I know... There are several; I've used Helmet Fresh with excellent results. I've found that the pads never quite fit and feel the same after laundering, and they can take a very long time to dry. With Helmet Fresh, you just need a few hours to dry and the helmet is fresh as a daisy and fits and feels the same as ever. Read and follow the directions, even if you don't want to...

2) Use more than one helmet, especially in the summer. The extra time to air out makes a HUGE difference. Same as with another intimate garment, boots; if you're sweating in the same pair every day and they never get a chance to air out, things are gonna get very rough in there.

Waxing the shield does work, but I'm too lazy to fart around with paste wax; I use a clean/wax detailing spray. On the bike, I carry a small spray can and a couple of microfiber towels in a ziploc bag. I'm experimenting with a little pump spray bottle of helmet cleaner from Cycle Gear. It smells very odd, but works wonderfully.

• Thumbsup 1

On 3/1/2023 at 9:03 AM, Heli ATP said:

I find that wearing a skull cap under my helmet is the best defense against helmet stink. There are many moisture wicking caps available for under $10.

eBay is a good source

Indeed, I also shave my head and this is a must as well......makes a big difference in comfort and helmet not getting funky. :)

• Haha 1