FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

I took off the hand guards because I didn't want the conflict with the windscreen. I do not regreat it. My windscreen is wider and I get no buffeting, it is fairly silent, no back pressure and doesn't bounce around on the mounts. Sorry, you can't buy it you have to make it. DIY Windscreen.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
I took off the hand guards because I didn't want the conflict with the windscreen. I do not regreat it. My windscreen is wider and I get no buffeting, it is fairly silent, no back pressure and doesn't bounce around on the mounts. Sorry, you can't buy it you have to make it. DIY Windscreen.
It's my view that the performance of the screen is more related to the ridiculous more-about-form-than-function knuckle-guards than  anything else.   The 'waisted' front shape of the screen is necessary to avoid it fouling the guards.   If that was not an issue, the lower part of the screen could be wider and do a better job... The guards could, with some benefit, also be much closer to the rider's hands too, IMO.
That said, for me the screen is quite OK, at 5'10" or so and mainly riding in pretty benign temperatures - like today, end of the first month of 'winter' and 23 deg C (74 deg F).
L of S

I thought it was my windscreen buzzing, too... but upon (slightly less-than-safe investigation while riding) I discovered it was actually where the outer hand guard rests on the bracket at the very inside of the guard. A tiny piece of foam completely silenced a nasty buzz.
I took the hand guards off before I got home from my first ride. I couldn't lane split with those on. Stock screen had zero buzzing. The Touring one is just obscenely tall. I read about about using rubber washers. 

I thought it was my windscreen buzzing, too... but upon (slightly less-than-safe investigation while riding) I discovered it was actually where the outer hand guard rests on the bracket at the very inside of the guard. A tiny piece of foam completely silenced a nasty buzz.
I took the hand guards off before I got home from my first ride. I couldn't lane split with those on. Stock screen had zero buzzing. The Touring one is just obscenely tall. I read about about using rubber washers. 
Cut it down. 

Now that my big ugly bike is performing just as I like it (with the Givi screen, Givi extension and puppy grips) I tend not to come round here so often any more.
If I get the chance I will do some measuring and post the results with pictures.

• Premium Member
To anyone who has removed the handguards as part of the windscreen thing...did you install bar-end weights or anything else in their place?
I just removed mine today. For now, I just put a smaller bolt in using the stock metal piece. It sticks out a tad, but ok for now. Leave the black insert in. Haven't test rode it yet, but should make lane splitting much easier. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

To anyone who has removed the handguards as part of the windscreen thing...did you install bar-end weights or anything else in their place?
I just removed the Alum end piece from the handguards and used a shorter bolt and put it back on the end of the bars.  Looks okay: 

8gQU7BE.jpg

Yes, since fitting a Puig deflector I can now hear the induction roar and engine noises. Nothing to worry about but it does make some odd noises at times and drastic differences in the whine from the transmission in different gears. 
Still using earplugs as even the lower noise levels will cause damage as the effect accumulates over time.
You're using it with the stock windscreen?
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

• Premium Member
Yes, since fitting a Puig deflector I can now hear the induction roar and engine noises. Nothing to worry about but it does make some odd noises at times and drastic differences in the whine from the transmission in different gears. 
Still using earplugs as even the lower noise levels will cause damage as the effect accumulates over time.
You're using it with the stock windscreen?
No, as per the review, I am using it with the powerbronze touring screen http://fj-09.org/thread/1671/puig-deflector-powerbronze-screen 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I found the stock screen with an MRA Xcreen sport deflector to work much better than stock screen alone. With screen in lowest position, air flow was very smooth with little noise. Left your head in nice clean air. Due to neck surgeries and bad back I needed something taller. Went with a CalSci tall +7 1/2". It is wonderful. I can ride with face shield open, no buffeting or noise. Definitely not sporty looking but not ugly, and very functional. I am 6'3" with 36" inseam. Table on CalSci site indicated a medium height screen would work best but I was looking for ultimate protection and tall has worked out great. I have no trouble looking over the screen. My 2 cents.  PS  I always wear ear plugs.  I want to be able to hear my fellow inmates when we're sitting around the old folks home reminiscing about all the motorcycles we road back in the day.

I found the stock screen with an MRA Xcreen sport deflector to work much better than stock screen alone. With screen in lowest position, air flow was very smooth with little noise. Left your head in nice clean air. Due to neck surgeries and bad back I needed something taller. Went with a CalSci tall +7 1/2". It is wonderful. I can ride with face shield open, no buffeting or noise. Definitely not sporty looking but not ugly, and very functional. I am 6'3" with 36" inseam. Table on CalSci site indicated a medium height screen would work best but I was looking for ultimate protection and tall has worked out great. I have no trouble looking over the screen. My 2 cents.  PS  I always wear ear plugs.  I want to be able to hear my fellow inmates when we're sitting around the old folks home reminiscing about all the motorcycles we road back in the day.
I ordered a Madstad, but was considering a spoiler. I decided against the spoiler convincing myself the OEM screen too flexible. Well your experience shoots that to pieces. I'm 5'6" so it sounds like the spoiler would have directed the air flow over my helmet. Do you have a pic of the MRA spoiler on the original screen? Fit and looks was something I also had doubts about.