FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

• Premium Member
My large CalSci is much quieter than stock at 70. I am 6' 34" inseam.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

I'm 5'9, 31 inch inseam. I bought the madstad 20" figuring it would be just about right, sure it looks like a barn door but I knew the extra air behind the screen would help eliminate some of the noise as well.
I was on the edge of getting the 22 as I will only use this shield if I plan to take log trips so the wind doesn't wear me out, and it regularly gets to be nearly 90 when I'm headed home from work.

While it is certainly much quieter the air rattles my helmet and head, the only way I can get away from this is if I duck my head a few inches. I will continue playing with the angle and height to see if I can get away without adding anything extra on. Devising some sort of laminar lip may be needed but for my trip this weekend it will have to do and will still be much more comfortable than stock.

If anyone has a 22" madstad and wants to trade/try a 20" let me know and I'm sure we can work something out. I'm located in southern Indiana

I'm 5'9, 31 inch inseam. I bought the madstad 20" figuring it would be just about right, sure it looks like a barn door but I knew the extra air behind the screen would help eliminate some of the noise as well. I was on the edge of getting the 22 as I will only use this shield if I plan to take log trips so the wind doesn't wear me out, and it regularly gets to be nearly 90 when I'm headed home from work.

While it is certainly much quieter the air rattles my helmet and head, the only way I can get away from this is if I duck my head a few inches. I will continue playing with the angle and height to see if I can get away without adding anything extra on. Devising some sort of laminar lip may be needed but for my trip this weekend it will have to do and will still be much more comfortable than stock.

If anyone has a 22" madstad and wants to trade/try a 20" let me know and I'm sure we can work something out. I'm located in southern Indiana
Madstad has a 60 day return I believe. Perhaps they will accommodate an exchange. Unless you are outside the return window? The Givi is the barn door. Madstad more the garage door. 

LOL it is a bit garage-door-ish, but I like it. The Cal Sci is the best looking shield I've tested, hands down, and is great for commuting and short Summer rides. I will be using the Madstad for longer trips, though. I think I'll drill the Cal Sci so I can mount it directly to the Madstad bracket. It'll stick out in front a bit, but should be fine.

Madstad has a 60 day return I believe. Perhaps they will accommodate an exchange. Unless you are outside the return window? The Givi is the barn door. Madstad more the garage door.

Alright. Thanks for the info, I'll have to give that a look. I just received and installed on Monday so I will be within any window for returns. I just won't have the bigger screen for my vacation trip this weekend

Just back from a 1500 mile trip to France. Had the Powerbronze touring screen with the Small Givi extender on. Result - if no cross-winds, absolutely brilliant. Listening to music through Sena SN5 bluetooth in Shark Evoline 3(generally faceshield up, visor down) clear up to 80mph, listenable to 100mph. If crosswinds present, reduces to 60mph for clear, 70mph for listenable. I'm 5'11, 32in inseam.

HOWEVER... riding in 39 degree centigrade heat, I would have sacrificed noise for a bit of wind flow! Still, not generally a problem in the UK!

Hornetmike have you tried the extender on the stock screen as a comparison?
I've ordered the puig clip-on to go with my powerbronze touring screen. I find it still too noisy despite eliminating all the buffeting. Hoping the clip-on will be the answer.

I recently purchased and installed the Parabellum flyscreen for my FJ.  I was getting a ton of turbulent noise while riding, in all windshield positions.  I recently rode the wife's SV, and got nothing smooth clean air, as opposed to sounding like I have a personal windstorm in my head at all times.  So I knew a change was in order, and got the flyscreen thinking it would give me smooth clean air like I remember on other, windshield-less bikes that I have driven.

For reference, I'm 6'3", with approximately a 33" inseam.  Currently wear a shoei rf-1100, but I believe it to be a size too large.  Same helmet I used on an SV and R6, and never noticed noise on those bikes.

Went for a test ride with the screen yesterday, first part of the ride had the windshield in the lowest position.  I still got a ton of noise, slightly less than with the stock screen, but still a lot of turbulent noise.  On the return journey, I bumped it up to the highest position, which to my surprise, resulted in a slight improvement, but still a lot of turbulent noise.  More than I would consider acceptable.

Getting a new helmet next month, probably an Arai defiant in the proper size.  Hopefully a better fitting and different shaped helmet will alleviate some noise. 

The quality of the windshield was quite good, with thick clear plastic.  The fasteners were much more rugged than the standard hardware, and Parabellum's customer service and turnaround times were good.  But the windshield failed to alleviate the original problem I was having with the bike.

O5QIaN6.jpg

Guest branthopolis
Getting a new helmet next month, probably an Arai defiant in the proper size.  Hopefully a better fitting and different shaped helmet will alleviate some noise. 

Just to add fuel to the fire..     Pretty much every review I've read about Arai helmets, and I will confirm based on my personal experience having owned several different models of Arai helmets over the years, is that they are LOUD.   Venting is great and everything else about the helmet is top notch though...  Hoping they have improved that aspect over the past few years because I'll be looking for a new helmet myself soon.. 

Just installed the FJ-09 Parabellum Flyscreeen and I will be writing up a full comparison between the Parabellum and the Ermax Sport screen once I put some more mileage on both.

So far I can say this:
The Parabellum Flyscreeen shown is the tint model and offers similar wind protection to the stock FJ-09 screen with substantially less buffeting and cleaner air. Cleanest air is in the low position and shoulders are hit with very light wind. I would say the body is pretty well protected. I was surprised how effective it was for its size.

I also rode with the Ermax sport screen. Also do like it. But I would say the upper body is less protected from the wind than the Parabellum. Also the Parabellum can be used in all three adjustable heights with out hand guard interference. The Ermax can be used in low and med positions but in the high position the hand guards interfere during full lock of the bars.

Until I have more time with both Ill say both are a drastic improvement over the stock screen when it comes to buffeting and noise. The Ermax I would consider possibly a better choice for HOT summer with more wind exposed to the helmet. The Parabellum Flyscreeen seems a better choice for more wind protection even in cooler weather especially the upper body/ shoulders.

I'm 6ft with 32" inseam w/ Shoei RF1100

view?usp=sharingview?usp=sharinghttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0B294YeaOYXiBWkpCYVhtNGxnU3M/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B294YeaOYXiBbk1wZHU3eGFQT0U/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B294YeaOYXiBZWxuLXZQcjJTcEE/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B294YeaOYXiBTlJmMFc0OEJmbFk/view?usp=sharing

• Premium Member

Just to add fuel to the fire..     Pretty much every review I've read about Arai helmets, and I will confirm based on my personal experience having owned several different models of Arai helmets over the years, is that they are LOUD.   Venting is great and everything else about the helmet is top notch though...  Hoping they have improved that aspect over the past few years because I'll be looking for a new helmet myself soon..
I hate to say it, but my Arai defiant IS loud.  Of course, this is my first helmet, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but, it is loud.  But, it also fits my head really well.

Guest branthopolis
I hate to say it, but my Arai defiant IS loud.  Of course, this is my first helmet, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but, it is loud.  But, it also fits my head really well.
I figured it would be..  I love Arai helmets but they are expensive..   I have wasted so much money trying to find another brand helmet that fits my head as well but isn't as expensive and it has been an entirely fruitless search for me.. 

Guest branthopolis
I find myself returning to Arai helmets also. Love the fit. I wouldn't know about the sound issues as I always wear ear plugs no matter what bike or helmet.
                                                                                      ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^