FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

• Premium Member
I'll be returning my CalSci. Have mixed feelings about it since in some ways is better than stock (e.g. visor open). But it was still too noisy for me. I'll be looking for a windshield again :-(
I was (am) right there with you @cbr600.  I returned mine last week.  I'm waiting to see some longer term reviews from a couple forum members on the Puig touring screen.

Is there a consensus on the best windscreen for a 6'3" person?

The stock screen is best in the low position for me right now,hitting right at the bottom chin of my helmet, but it's still kind of loud. If I put my hand up on top of the windshield, I can successfully deflect the air over my head and make it very quiet. So is there a screen that's 4-6 inches taller than stock?

• Premium Member
How was calsci with returning the windshield after it was used? I didn't get any change in noise after my tinted shorty
They were fine.  I only had it a week and I kept it in the plastic wrap (minus the hole in the front) the entire time.

The stock screen is best in the low position for me right now,hitting right at the bottom chin of my helmet, but it's still kind of loud. If I put my hand up on top of the windshield, I can successfully deflect the air over my head and make it very quiet. So is there a screen that's 4-6 inches taller than stock?
look into the Puig touring screen. im 6'3" and have that along with the visor and it works perfect

• Premium Member
that's a bit like asking 6 accountants to predict economic growth over the next 5 years - you'll get 6 different answers. 
Puig and some other makers have a laminar lip or deflector that clips on top of the stock screen. This will be just like holding your hand to deflect the airflow. I have found this to work for me. Odd looks but it is effective.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
that's a bit like asking 6 accountants to predict economic growth over the next 5 years - you'll get 6 different answers. 
Puig and some other makers have a laminar lip or deflector that clips on top of the stock screen. This will be just like holding your hand to deflect the airflow. I have found this to work for me. Odd looks but it is effective.
This is the one I am going to try:Puig Touring screen with visor

• Premium Member
I'm 6'4" with a 32" inseam, and for my money the Madstad is as good as it gets. Adjustability as the seasons change, no add-ons needed, and it looks great....subjective opinion of course on the looks. Completely objective opinion on the functionality, it just works the way you want it to. Will post pics soon. 

I got the Cal Sci medium this spring, and think its a HUGE improvement over stock. I am 5'10", and wear a Nolan N102 with earplugs. I also made a shorty screen based on the plans someone here, Scotty? posted. Its very short, but for $10 at Home Depot, and about 1 hr of my time, was definitely worth it. I run the Cal Sci for long trips, or during spring and fall. Summer time, or around town, the shorty is the way to go. Its not even too bad on the freeway. Clean air hits the bottom of my helmet, ZERO buffeting or noise. Its about the same as my Sprint ST.

@wessie That sounds like it works, but I'd like to avoid that clip-on if I could. I'm not a fan of how it looks. But if that's what I need to do, then I will

@perporter
I look forward to the pictures of the madstad. For me it's between that and the Calsci large.

Here are some pics of my Madstad bracket with an MRA windshield adapted to fit, for summer riding. The pics will at least show you the bracket. The Madstad website has pics of their windshield mounted on the FJ-09. I'm 5'6" and it works great. In the cooler months I will put on the larger windshield. I think you can buy the bracket separately also. 
http://imgur.com/a/MKI42

• Premium Member
I'm 6'4" with a 32" inseam, and for my money the Madstad is as good as it gets. Adjustability as the seasons change, no add-ons needed, and it looks great....subjective opinion of course on the looks. Completely objective opinion on the functionality, it just works the way you want it to. Will post pics soon.
O OK, got some pics, and will try to post here.This is the Madstad system. Don't know what I have to do to make them larger, GOOD help would be appreciated. 3977313.jpg

3977307.jpg

3977311.jpg