FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

Wonder if the Givi screen with the laminar lip would work for us tall blokes??
Don't know, but you might consider a very short screen.   Since getting the FJ in May, and watching the forums, it seems everyone is trying to completely eliminate any wind/ buffeting.   

With a VERY short screen on, the wind hits me at the bottom of the helmet. Completely clean, clear air.  I am 5'10", so do a degree, YMMV.  But, my torso is completely out of the wind.  

My previous ride, a 2003 Triumph Sprint ST, with a full fairing, the wind hit me in the same place, and just like the FJ, 300 mile, 8hr days were very comfortable.  I am 46 yrs old, not 26. :)  Maybe everyone is trying to make the FJ into a GoldWing? :)

Installed the Calsci large today (+7.5"). It works with stock handguards. I didn't get a chance to test it out on the highway yet, I'll do that tomorrow. I am 6'3".

I bought it used and I think it was missing some of the rubber mounts to rest against, so I'll have to hit up calsci for more.

20150921_172136_zpsfapi4ji5.jpg

20150921_172142_zpsrxdnee7u.jpg

20150921_172158_zpsadrvati1.jpg

New one is a good 7.5" taller:

20150921_173234_zpstozuw7do.jpg

Guest highplainsrider
I tried the Laminar lip. Don't wast your money. It didn't really help and in some cases, makes the buffeting worse. On top of all that it is ugly as hell. I think the issue with it is that the laminar lip adds a few inches horizontally and introduces too much drag to the stock screen and mounting. At highway speeds, the whole assembly flaps around quite a bit making a stable airstream virtually impossible. Add in a head wind and I was ready to pull it off and leave it on the side of the highway. I'll try the 30 day trial policy and see what happens.

@ Rocky,   hey watch out for the bottom two mounts. the windscreen can pull through the rubber grommets . I have had this happen twice.  I spoke to Calsci about it and they are aware and suggested installing stainless steel fender washers under the plastic cap mount , I believe I used 7/8".  Calsci will send them if you ask I believe.  I painted them black and only did the bottom 2. The top ones get the opposite effect.  There is a lot of deflection backwards at high speeds with this screen but it works well otherwise for me but I am 5'-9".  I am working on a solution for the deflection.Hope this helps someone

Guys,

I will post a proper review (when I have finished my full testing!) but here is a quick review.
I bought an MRA double bubble screen- its shorter than the stock screen and looks way sportier.
my main journey is a commute into London which is 20 miles of motorway then the rest town riding.

I am 5ft 8inches with a 29" inseam and the seat is in the low position. Due to my previous bike experience I tend to lean forward.
I have removed the stock handguards and replaced with Acerbis which I think makes a big difference with the buffeting.
I have a Shoei neotec (which I think may be a size too large) and I ride with Mackie earplugs.

My main concerns are getting the quietest journey possible but also I HATE the buffeting - my last bike (triumph sprint RS) had no buffeting at all - in fact I don't remember any as bad.

First Journey: screen in the lowest position. buffeting so much better almost gone, noise much better, I would consider this acceptable if I had to. speeds travelled upto 115mph. I found that if I sat up really straight the noise became slightly quieter. if I ducked low it was blissfully silent.
However the lack of backache (from the RS) was replaced by some neck ache)

Second journey: scree in the top position Buffeting very slightly worse but not worth worrying about but noise worse. neck ache didn't seem to be there.
didn't feel feel as good but couldn't tell you why to be honest.

next journey will be in mid position.

I did wonder if using the lowering links to lower the bike but then putting the seat in the high position with the screen in the low position could give me the best of the bad bunch .

I reckon this screen could be good for a 5ft 10 rider and its cheap as well

It looks like I'll get to be the guinea pig for the Puig Touring screen.  I'm half convinced that I'm the first person in the world to buy one because there are absolutely no real world pictures to be found...or, I guess, the other buyers have better things to do than posting pictures of it on the internet... 
Puig also posted a virtual wind tunnel test that looks promising.  @wessie was good enough to direct me to BS Motoparts for a good price, but I have no idea how long shipping will actually end up taking.  I'll report back once I've received it.

7646f-1.jpg

I bought one and whilst I was initially excited, that felling was short lived,  when I found the hand guards hit the Screen! 

No matter what setting I used,  the hand guards would hit the screen,  and I  one instance almost caused me to fall off. 

I contacted Puig, and was advised used to adjust the handguards in by 10mm, which as we all know isn't an option,  as such I returned the screen, but have to live with the scratches on the inside of the handguards caused by the screen. 

I bought one and whilst I was initially excited, that felling was short lived,  when I found the hand guards hit the Screen!  
No matter what setting I used,  the hand guards would hit the screen,  and I  one instance almost caused me to fall off. 

I contacted Puig, and was advised used to adjust the handguards in by 10mm, which as we all know isn't an option,  as such I returned the screen, but have to live with the scratches on the inside of the handguards caused by the screen. 

Sorry to hear you had a bad (and dangerous) experience.  I'm not sure what they meant by adjusting the handguards by 10mm. 
To be fair, the instructions specifically instruct you to remove the handguard outer deflector; and this warning is also on the website.

I don't find there is a huge difference in look with the outer deflectors off, particularly once I replaced the screws with hex bolts and black bolt caps.  Some people strongly disagree with me, though.  Either way, I'll be putting on their accessory hand guard covers when they are released (their Canadian rep tells me this will be late November or December) which will negate the issue.
//QED

• Premium Member

Sorry to hear you had a bad (and dangerous) experience.  I'm not sure what they meant by adjusting the handguards by 10mm. 
To be fair, the instructions specifically instruct you to remove the handguard outer deflector; and this warning is also on the website.

I don't find there is a huge difference in look with the outer deflectors off, particularly once I replaced the screws with hex bolts and black bolt caps.  Some people strongly disagree with me, though.  Either way, I'll be putting on their accessory hand guard covers when they are released (their Canadian rep tells me this will be late November or December) which will negate the issue.

I managed to modify my guards so I could leave them on.. Not a huge deal and you can hardly even tell..