• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

Yep. 

"How does it work?". Please clarify..................

It deflects wind onto your upper chest and not head , thus removing buffeting and extreme noise . Is that what you want?

A previous post explains how I fitted it.
Bunyip.  What I meant by "How does it work?" is how is the "roar"?  Or are you one of the fortunate ones that don't seem to have that issue?

fzknm,

the roar has gone. There is still some wind noise, but only marginally more than on my gsxr. The roar before was dreadfull. Thats why I did the fix. I got to the stage where I didn,t want to ride it.
There may be better solutions, but I am happy, and even for those not fully satisfied by the fz6 screen, I would be surprised if it is not a significant improvement. Plus it is so cheap I don,t think you can go wrong by trying it. As I said before, if you still find it too noisy, cut some more off the top of the screen- say 1 inch at a time.

I ordered one, too... can't go wrong for the cost, right?
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

• Premium Member
A few weeks ago I wrote up a review of the Ermax Sport plus Puig visor over in my introduction thread.  In the hopes that it will be easier to find in a more relevant thread, here it is again.

Since I wrote this I've put a bunch more miles on the bike and I'm still pretty darn happy with this screen setup.  I keep meaning to experiment with the Puig position but then I ride it and completely forget about it. :-)  I even get better rain protection than I anticipated; got to try it out in a real frog-strangler a couple of weeks ago.

The other thing I forgot to mention originally is that I really like the fact that this setup puts the Puig visor well below my line of vision.  It's not horribly intrusive even on the Ermax Touring screen, but I don't even notice it on the Sport.  I think the smaller windscreen even fits the bike's aesthetics better.

Hope this helps someone out.  Wish I had a pic to post, but I'm off on holiday right now.

-- cut here --
I finally had the time to put the Puig visor (medium size) on the Ermax sport screen (on medium height) and take it out for a couple of hundred miles of mixed riding.

Verdict? This is my favorite screen setup of the five I've tried: Yamaha stock, Ermax touring, Ermax touring + Puig, Ermax sport, Ermax sport + Puig.

Even at rather supra-legal highway speeds the wind is only a light rumble. At backroads speeds it's basically nothing, as good as or better than anything else I've ever used. It's easy to hear my music and even if the earplug doesn't seal properly it's no big deal. On top of that it's low enough that the screen is completely out of my way visually.

I will have to debate whether or not to go back to the touring screen with Puig in the fall, for more coverage against the cold, but I can say right now that I would be happy to run the sport+Puig setup permanently. It's quieter than the touring + Puig and still does a pretty good job with wind protection. (Maybe too good for yesterday's 90-105F weather. :P )

YMMV, of course. When I tried poking my head up a few inches I got a lot more wind rumble, so if you're a little taller maybe it wouldn't work as well, although perhaps in the highest screen position it would cover most people. I'm 5'4", although with a L/XL torso so my head height is closer to average than my absolute height would suggest.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

While waiting for my super cheap shorty to arrive, I'm still playing with my current set up (Puig deflector + stock screen) and I realized that the screen has a lot of play in it before it hits the stopper support brackets.... I bent them forward about ½" or so, and now they're just touching the screen. I went for a 100+ mile run today, and noticed less buffeting since the screen isn't bouncing as much (doubly so with the added weight of the not-light Puig) at higher speeds. I did notice a bit more wind roar, but less buffeting.
Give some, take some, I guess.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

• 2 weeks later...
It looks like I'll get to be the guinea pig for the Puig Touring screen.  I'm half convinced that I'm the first person in the world to buy one because there are absolutely no real world pictures to be found...or, I guess, the other buyers have better things to do than posting pictures of it on the internet...

Puig also posted a virtual wind tunnel test that looks promising.  @wessie was good enough to direct me to BS Motoparts for a good price, but I have no idea how long shipping will actually end up taking.  I'll report back once I've received it.

7646f-1.jpg
//QED

• Premium Member
It looks like I'll get to be the guinea pig for the Puig Touring screen.  I'm half convinced that I'm the first person in the world to buy one because there are absolutely no real world pictures to be found...or, I guess, the other buyers have better things to do than posting pictures of it on the internet... 
Puig also posted a virtual wind tunnel test that looks promising.  @wessie was good enough to direct me to BS Motoparts for a good price, but I have no idea how long shipping will actually end up taking.  I'll report back once I've received it.

Not long if it is anything like a mate's experience. He sold an exhaust from his last bike, a Triumph Tiger on Ebay. The buyer was in the boondocks of California. The parcel left Cheltenham in the UK:
Home to Tewkesbury
Tewkesbury to Bristol
Bristol to East Midlands Airport
East Midlands Airport to Cincinnati
Cincinnati to San Francisco
San Francisco to Sacramento
Sacramento to Pioneer
all inside 34 hours!

Hope you get the same service

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Wow - a 5.42 gf/cm^2 times less pressure in and about the area of the helmet. While Im not sure about the units of pressure / force, anything 5x less has to be an improvement.

Would love to know your thoughts on the windshield when you get it installed.

Capture.PNG

Wow - a 5.42 gf/cm^2 times less pressure in and about the area of the helmet. While Im not sure about the units of pressure / force, anything 5x less has to be an improvement.  
Would love to know your thoughts on the windshield when you get it installed.

Capture.PNG

Looks like it does a great job of cutting off air flow to the helmet. Not a good idea here in NC in the summer. 
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

• Premium Member
I called the US Puig office this Monday and was told the screen was not being imported into the US yet. Also called Tucker Rockie and Western Power sports and neither had heard of it. If any US members got it, I would love to know from where.
The wind chart does make it look like a great screen.

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675