FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

Guest rszk
FWIW, I had the Puig spoiler on too, but the Madstad system is still superior in every way. Less wind noise, less buffeting and more wind protection in the crucial lower torso. This equates to much better rain protection as well. The spoiler only helps with buffeting on the top of your head.

FWIW, I had the Puig spoiler on too, but the Madstad system is still superior in every way. Less wind noise, less buffeting and more wind protection in the crucial lower torso. This equates to much better rain protection as well. The spoiler only helps with buffeting on the top of your head.
In about an hour UPS should be dropping off my screen. :) 

I'm still using the stock shield for now on my FJ09. I do have the MRA Screen on 2 other bikes and they work better than they look. I'm changing my seat before doing anything to my windscreen.  Lesson learned from the past.

15J09-05FJR1300-07DL1000-16GSX1000S

• Premium Member
I just got my two Parabellum screens today and gave each a quick test on the highway. The flyscreen is great, but also much more like what I am used to. The touring screen was "wind roar" free, but I had some buffeting noise around the top of my helmet. I say buffeting noise, because my head was NOT being buffeted around. The fact that my torso had no wind on it at all was kind of trippy and awful since it was 91F here when I went out. Have never had a screen like this and not sure what to make of it. Do I save it for winter?
Here in northern California I need my jackets vents working 6-7 months out of the year.

Both screens are well made, the material is flawless and the mounting hardware is easy to use.

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
how is the wind noise with the flyscreen? its to hot here in fl for a touring screen in the summer to.
It is good, meaning not too much.  Not as quiet as the double bubble on my Daytona, but much, much better than the stock one.  No wind roar at all.  In the low position the wind blast hits me just above the bottom of the visor.  In the high position about eye level.  (5' 8" 29 inseam)I am going to run some tests  to see if the same shape but a few inches taller, would send the blast over my head, but allow air to the jacket. Cheers

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

I found the stock screen with an MRA Xcreen sport deflector to work much better than stock screen alone. With screen in lowest position, air flow was very smooth with little noise. Left your head in nice clean air. Due to neck surgeries and bad back I needed something taller. Went with a CalSci tall +7 1/2". It is wonderful. I can ride with face shield open, no buffeting or noise. Definitely not sporty looking but not ugly, and very functional. I am 6'3" with 36" inseam. Table on CalSci site indicated a medium height screen would work best but I was looking for ultimate protection and tall has worked out great. I have no trouble looking over the screen. My 2 cents.  PS  I always wear ear plugs.  I want to be able to hear my fellow inmates when we're sitting around the old folks home reminiscing about all the motorcycles we road back in the day.

I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. The talll CalSci is still loud for me unless I lower my head a bit. I can ride with visor open (even tested without helmet) but start getting to 70 mph and is loud, even with ear plugs. Did not go with the MaxStad because of looks (I think it requires hand guard removal?).

I think adding the deflector to my CalSci may do the trick.

Guest rszk
Madstad system. Have to remove the cosmetic front piece of the handguard, but the other part still fully functional. No additional spoiler like Puig or MRA needed which also doesn't enhance look.Looks fine for me!
298ADF6B-73F6-4688-8CC6-6C9FDCC4B598_zpsks4xozpw.jpg

I've installed the MRA X-Creen Sport on the standard screen, it fits well, it's not too ugly and i hope to get some benefits back (i've heavy noise from air turbulence that comes directly on my Shark Speed-R , i'm 183cm tall and it's very very hard to drive with them).

I'll make some testing when it stops raining.

@scotto thanks for the quick write up regarding the MRA XCreen. I just ordered for one to put on my stock windscreen. Went with the clear color. I will be saving up for the Parabellum touring and fly screen in the next few months :D

@filo79 let's hope for no rain! I'm excited to eliminate the wind turbulence without dropping a load of cash.

The Madstad is the ticket FJ-09 owners. There is an issue with the OEM handguards contacting the screen but I am working on the set up still. I will write a review when I have it completely sorted but it is like night and day from the stock screen to the Madstad.

Guest rszk
Sorry, off topic... 
Are those the Yamaha Driving lights? 
Yes.  Made by SW Motech. They will burn your retinas! 

• Premium Member
By looking through the comments and reviews from fellow riders here. Can see that the cal sci touring screen does a better job in deflecting the wind, reduce noise, buffeting and turbulence. Any more cal sci screen user able to give more reviews on the riding experience?
The wind noise is drastically lower with my large Cal Sci screen. Now the dominant noise is the engine and induction instead of the wind.  

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Someone mentioned they thought removing the handguards also made for less turbulence. I removed mine for clearance on a 20" Madstad. 1) the Madstad is excellent. 2) Without a proper test I also 'Suspect' the guards cause some of the trouble we are having with the OEM set-up. When shopping for Barkbusters I compared their bracket shape and dimensions, and where they line up in relation to the levers , bars and windshield. It dawned on me the Yamaha handguards are an abomination. LOL! I may still use them. But why the huge mounting bracket, weird shape and mounting so far away from the bars?