FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

Question for anyone with the MadStad.... do the windshield mounting holes line up with the holes in the stock? On my '06 Uly I used the MadStad bracket with a Parabellum wind shield, it worked well.

• Premium Member
Just thought I'd chime in here too. I installed an Ermax Sport Screen last week, but today's the first time I've been up to highway speeds. Today, I also removed the hand guard thingys (whatever they're called) before heading out. I'm not overly fond of them and I've read where some people thing they cause buffeting/noise. Lastly, I'm 6'3" with a 33-34" inseam and the seat in the high position.

The buffeting was much better than with the stock screen. The Ermax is in the lowest position and I noticed that the wind was hitting me in the center/top of my chest. If it crouched just a little, things felt even better. So, I've lowered my seat and I may play around with raising the screen. But, I thought I'd toss in my experiences.

I was really worried about the wind noise.  Thought I really messed up.

New to street bikes but chose the fj over a harley ultra after 500 miles and a 2005 st1300 5 mile test drive.

Bought the fj with no demo, based on reviews and articles.

I didnt have a helmet and couldnt find one that fit me right after 6 different shops. No helmet and ear buds was way too much noise and just not comfortable.

Purchased an Ibuki modular helmet today, perfect!
Stock screen all the way down under 50mph, over 50 full down, awesome! 
80 miles mixed riding today and I didn't want to ever get off that bike!

No buffeting, wind noise is like a cracked window in a car with helmet vents open. This helmet is designed specifically for the buffeting.  Love the built in sun shade and the modular set up. It was about 410 otd  but I pulled the trigger to keep the look of the bike and to get a helmet that I truly enjoy wearing!

Truly an amazing bike and much more nimble  and fun than the ultra or st1300.

Factory bags come on Monday and I'm going to stop the $$$ bleeding for a while!

5'11 235 broad shoulders. 

Hope this helps!

I received and installed the Puig windscreen extender today (on the stock screen), and it's definitely an improvement. There is a lot of tweaking you can do to change the height and angle of the screen, so it'll just take some time to dial it in a bit further. I can't say it's quiet behind the screen(s), but it's way less buffeting than before. And I can REALLY hear the bike now - it was kind of shocking how loud the bike became under me. I like it :)
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

I received and installed the Puig windscreen extender today (on the stock screen), and it's definitely an improvement. There is a lot of tweaking you can do to change the height and angle of the screen, so it'll just take some time to dial it in a bit further. I can't say it's quiet behind the screen(s), but it's way less buffeting than before. And I can REALLY hear the bike now - it was kind of shocking how loud the bike became under me. I like it :)
Pics please 

If anyone is interested...

I purchased an Ermax large in clear and installed it for about 20 miles. It's just not for me. I think if I was taller, it would be a GREAT shield to keep wind off your body, but not your helmet. I'm 5'5" / 5'6" and it hits me right in the head on my short seat. If anyone is interested in purchasing, PM me and we can work out a deal. I paid $124 shipped so throw me an offer. I'm here in Southern California if that helps.

-Jeff

• Premium Member
parabellum shortie , minimum wind protection (not bad for summer ) 

well made , thick enough ,round edges
happy so far :)

How is noise? Helmet in smooth air or turbulent? Buffeting? Does it attach to stock mounting hardware? How tall are you? Thanks!

I modified an MRA shorty from my Kawasaki Versys to fit the Madstad adjustable brackets.  Needs black screws instead of the stainless steel or I'll paint them. Looks OK except for the Kawasaki sticker.

Rf9Dl0rhttp://imgur.com/a/MKI42

It works Fantastic up to 70mph depending on what's around me on the slab! I'm 5'6". Calm air at lower speeds around town and on two lane backroads. Nice clean air flow to helmet and bearable with visor Open! I appreciate the shorty shield here in 100 degree 40% humidity Tucson. Everyone go online and buy the Madstad brackets at least. ;)  Mount your windshield of choice. Take off the handguards for the wider shields and Voila! The design Yamaha should have built for us!

The 20" Madstad shield required the handguards to come off on my bike. They have sent me a slimmer, less wide, 20" shield to test with handguards on.
The 20" is the bomb for everything, the shorty I mounted is better for clean air to my upper body and helmet, Without turbulence.
No More painful noise and beat about the head turbulence!

Good point on posting speeds. My large CalSci works fine below 70 mph but gets just as bad as stock at 70. I'm planning to go make some sound recording with various configurations since this noise thing is really driving me crazy (5'8", 29" inseam)