FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

• Premium Member
I called the US Puig office this Monday and was told the screen was not being imported into the US yet. Also called Tucker Rockie and Western Power sports and neither had heard of it. If any US members got it, I would love to know from where. The wind chart does make it look like a great screen.

Cheers
see the link posted above to BS Motosport in Germany - they will ship worldwide
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I've put about 400 miles on my new FJ09, and just ordered a CalSci medium screen after trying the MRA sport Xcreen. The MRA screen worked great on my old V-Strom but caused the stock FJ screen to shake excessively at highway speeds. A lot of folks here have tried the short and tall CalSci but has anyone tried the medium, which is 1.5" shorter than the tall?  I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam and a Schuberth C3.

I bought the calsci short wind shield and am sorry to say it didn't do a darn thing for me. If I strain really hard and try to stick my torso up and then truck my chin to my chest the noise is almost gone. It must be a combo of where my head is in the air stream and hitting under my helmet to make all the noise. I am 5'11" with a 30" inseam and my helmet is a Shoei Neotec for reference.
'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

Seems like there are a too many variables to predict what's going to work and what's not. I am going to give a short screen a try. The stock works best for me in the lowest position, but still far from good.

• Premium Member
I installed the calsci medium for my trip through the Tetons and Yellowstone. I am a hair under 6 feet with a 30 in inseam.  Overall a good experience.  I did not care for it in the low position as the wind hit me right about the eyes. In the upper position the wind hit the top of my helmet. I did have a bit of excessive wind noise, not too bad, but I am wondering if that could have been caused by the wind being directed towards the upper front air vents on my Arai Defiant helmet. Regardless of the position no turbulence elsewhere and I was glad to have it touring. Big difference over stock.  

• Premium Member
Just installed my Cal-Sci Touring screen (the Large) and took a quick ride to get dinner.  The replacement rubber bumpers were missing, so I'll call them tomorrow to find out about them and if I can pick something up local.

But, at 6'3" with a 33' inseam and the screen in the lowest setting and seat in the higher setting, I could ride at 50mph with my visor open. I tried ducking down behind the screen and it was amazingly quiet and calm. Tomorrow, I'll try the screen in the highest setting and the seat in the lower setting, but I think I'm going to like this screen when I want a taller/touring screen.

I also got the shorty and will put that on probably Thursday since it's still to warm in Texas to run a tall screen around town.

EDIT:
Rode into work this morning with the screen in the highest setting and the seat in the lower setting.  Got some buffeting on the highway and there was more of a roar in my helmet than normal.  I'm not sure if the buffeting was due to traffic or not.  I did notice if I crouched down (like I mentioned above) it was quiet and calm.

I guess I've got some "testing" to do this weekend when I've got more time.

bunyip,

that changes the whole look of the bike, making it look a lot sportier. It looks really nice.
There is a post out there where a guy makes his own screen from scratch and posts videos on how to cut and bend and finish the screen.

I really dislike the standard flat screen. Having swapped the original hand guards for some acerbis guards I find that I have much more clearance so I can have a wider screen at the bottom and the wind noise I quieter as well.

I was toying with the idea of buying a MRA double bubble screen and trying that but I try buying a FZ6 screen and using that as a template for a custom build screen

• Premium Member
I installed the calsci medium for my trip through the Tetons and Yellowstone. I am a hair under 6 feet with a 30 in inseam.  Overall a good experience.  I did not care for it in the low position as the wind hit me right about the eyes. In the upper position the wind hit the top of my helmet. I did have a bit of excessive wind noise, not too bad, but I am wondering if that could have been caused by the wind being directed towards the upper front air vents on my Arai Defiant helmet. Regardless of the position no turbulence elsewhere and I was glad to have it touring. Big difference over stock.  
Ya know, I'm wondering if that's what I'm experiencing with my Cal-Sci.  I'm 6'3", got the large, and the noise seems "excessive".  I also have the same helmet. 
I'll be playing around with the various screens I have this weekend to see if it's going to work or if I'm going to go back to the Ermax (short/sporty/whatever) and stick with it.

bunyip, 
that changes the whole look of the bike, making it look a lot sportier. It looks really nice.
There is a post out there where a guy makes his own screen from scratch and posts videos on how to cut and bend and finish the screen.

I really dislike the standard flat screen. Having swapped the original hand guards for some acerbis guards I find that I have much more clearance so I can have a wider screen at the bottom and the wind noise I quieter as well.

I was toying with the idea of buying a MRA double bubble screen and trying that but I try buying a FZ6 screen and using that as a template for a custom build screen

Could you post a pic of your Acerbis hand guards and tell us what model they are? Thanks 

Got my calsci medium today. In low position it doesn't block all wind, lets a nice amount of clean air over the top. Comfortable to ride with the helmet shield up, to around 50 mph. Gets a bit noisy at 85 mph but nothing like stock shield. Can duck to avoid noise but will try in high setting tomorrow.

UPDATE: high position blocks most of the wind at low and high speeds, no need to duck (I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam). Will be perfect for cold weather.

• Premium Member
So I added the Puig clip on visor (medium - 250mm wide) to my Parabellum Flyscreen and it is a HUGE improvement. Haven't fine tuned it yet, but I am very happy with the airflow now. Roar and windblast are gone, but I still get air to my deltoids - where my jacket vents are. Will wash the bike this weekend and get a picture up.

Cheers
Here is the pic:  http://s296.photobucket.com/user/daleh627/media/Flyscreen%20wVisor_zpstbmzqy8n.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675