FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

• Premium Member
I installed the VStream Sport/Tour windscreen and although it's much better than the stock one I'm still getting a significant amount of buffeting. I don't want to say that I'm disappointed with it but it doesn't reduce the buffeting nearly as much as I had hoped. At lower speeds (below 50 MPH) I can ride comfortably with my faceshield up which is very nice although at freeway speeds the buffeting and wind noise is really bad. On the freeway here in California (lots of traffic) it feels like I'm getting hit from wind from all directions! I was really surprised how bad it was. I later found an empty stretch of road and got up to about 75 MPH and it's much better than the freeway of course but the wind noise and buffeting is still very noticeable. I'm 5'9" and i found that if I ducked my head an inch or two it pretty much went away so I'm thinking that the Touring model would have eliminated this. I regret not getting the Touring model but I still may before my 1000 mile trip at the end of the month.
I'm sorry to hear that you aren't happy with your V-Stream Sport/Tour model of screen, especially after you seemed excited to get yours after my review. You said that if you ducked your head an inch or two, the buffeting went away. So I am wondering if you had it set in the highest position, if that would have made a big difference? Or maybe the Touring screen is just the one that you need. Anyway, sorry for the disappointment!! I still love mine, and it works perfectly for me. Good luck!!

I installed the VStream Sport/Tour windscreen and although it's much better than the stock one I'm still getting a significant amount of buffeting. I don't want to say that I'm disappointed with it but it doesn't reduce the buffeting nearly as much as I had hoped. At lower speeds (below 50 MPH) I can ride comfortably with my faceshield up which is very nice although at freeway speeds the buffeting and wind noise is really bad. On the freeway here in California (lots of traffic) it feels like I'm getting hit from wind from all directions! I was really surprised how bad it was. I later found an empty stretch of road and got up to about 75 MPH and it's much better than the freeway of course but the wind noise and buffeting is still very noticeable. I'm 5'9" and i found that if I ducked my head an inch or two it pretty much went away so I'm thinking that the Touring model would have eliminated this. I regret not getting the Touring model but I still may before my 1000 mile trip at the end of the month.
I started with the Touring Model. It really is effective at eliminating all noise and buffeting. But I found it very unpleasant having to look through the screen and in rather strong wind I felt it negatively affected the bike's stability. I replaced it with the Sport Touring (medium) one. It is somewhat better than the OEM screen. My advice is that you should not expect massive improvements from any screen. I'm 5'8".
I ordered the Touring model earlier so I'm interested to see how different it is. The top of the Sport/Tour model (in the highest setting) is right at eye level which I didn't mind until I got into the twisties. It wasn't bad but took a little getting used to.

I'm sorry to hear that you aren't happy with your V-Stream Sport/Tour model of screen, especially after you seemed excited to get yours after my review. You said that if you ducked your head an inch or two, the buffeting went away. So I am wondering if you had it set in the highest position, if that would have made a big difference? Or maybe the Touring screen is just the one that you need. Anyway, sorry for the disappointment!! I still love mine, and it works perfectly for me. Good luck!!I'm not unhappy with it I had just hoped for better protection on the freeway. Most of my riding will be on side streets and in that case the Sport/Tour model is a big improvement over stock. I'm just concerned about my upcoming trip which will require a lot of highway miles. I have the Touring model on order so we'll see if it's any better once I get it installed. Please don't feel the need to apologize. I realize that we all have different opinions and we don't all ride in the same environments so any review is subjective. With that being said I would much rather have the Sport/Tour model than the stock windscreen!

• Premium Member
Have the Cal Sci tall. Great, for me, for the cooler times of the year. I'm 5"11 and can see over it in the high position which is the best position for me. It is indeed a barn door but effective. Bought a Cal Sci tinted sport and really like it. I run it in the high position also. I am enjoying the clean air. Get a bit of rumble, whoppee! The shorty looks great on the bike too, if thats important. Not sure if the PERFECT windshield exists. Lovin' my bike!
2015 FJ 09 Matte Gray
2006 FJR 1300
IBA member

So I finally got my VStream Touring windscreen installed and it's a good improvement over the Sport/Tour model in my opinion. The windscreen is just tall enough to eliminate all buffeting. It blocks all air in front of me but leaves a good amount of air on my arms. At first I was a little disappointed by this but I think it will be appreciated in the warmer months. 

I also read somewhere in these forums that the stock handguards had to be removed or adjusted because they made contact with the windscreen at full lock. This is not the case with either the Sport/Tour or the Touring model.

20160315-152541.jpg
20160315-152447.jpg

When I bought my FZ6R back in the days I went on a mission about windscreen. The stock one was horrible with buffering. Options were very limited since it was a new model so I bough some lexan and start testing different size and shape of screen. Anywhere from 14" up to 24"!!! It was expensive and quite a leaning experience...

What I conclude from the experience was size don't matter! I end up going much smaller and testing with laminar lip style add on... that did work great! I end up getting a smaller screen after a while since Puig came up with a really nice tinted touring screen. I added a MRA lip that is totally adjustable and doesn't look too bad. It comes with 2 type of attachments, you can either drill your screen and use the hardware they supply or a clamp style and doesn't not require any drilling. I did a 5500 miles trip last summer with this setup and it work like magic!

Not sure what works best for the FJ but the bottom line is bigger is not necessary better. A smaller screen with a MRA lip could be a better option?

I installed this windscreen from National Cycle before even riding my new FJ-09.  I really didn't like the look of the stock screen and I haven't heard anything really good about it.  

Mine is the middle size "sport tour". http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=fj-09

nat5.jpg

nat1.jpg

nat2.jpg

nat3.jpg

I have an update!

My first experience with this National Cycle Sport/Touring was sort of weird.  I moved it up and down.  In the highest position the huge freaking hand guards (?) rubbed against the screen severely  limiting handlebar movement.  I also had my old Nolan N102 on.  Like someone here mentioned, at high speeds I got a slight buffeting.  Yeah, it was annoying.

Since then I've had nothing but perfection!  What's my secret?  Well, I started by putting the screen all the way down and left it there.  I have been riding with my new helmet, a Kali Carbon Blackness rockstar of a helmet.  The thing is a work of art.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfdG1msq929xIGe2Zvd2DL4c6PImRBliuBkNzK50vJIXpioeFX 

I've put over 300 miles on with this helmet and windshield combo.  Zero buffeting.  No noticeable turbulence that I can remember.  With my cheapo earplugs in it's as quiet as I think is possible on a motorcycle. 

I'm 5'8".  Loving this eff-jay

When I bought my FZ6R back in the days I went on a mission about windscreen. The stock one was horrible with buffering. Options were very limited since it was a new model so I bough some lexan and start testing different size and shape of screen. Anywhere from 14" up to 24"!!! It was expensive and quite a leaning experience...  
What I conclude from the experience was size don't matter! I end up going much smaller and testing with laminar lip style add on... that did work great! I end up getting a smaller screen after a while since Puig came up with a really nice tinted touring screen. I added a MRA lip that is totally adjustable and doesn't look too bad. It comes with 2 type of attachments, you can either drill your screen and use the hardware they supply or a clamp style and doesn't not require any drilling. I did a 5500 miles trip last summer with this setup and it work like magic!

Not sure what works best for the FJ but the bottom line is bigger is not necessary better. A smaller screen with a MRA lip could be a better option?
I would much prefer to have a shorter windscreen that I look over than through. I thought about the MRA blade but I was pretty surprised at how expensive they are and I couldn't find anyone that had used it on the FJ. I've spent enough money for now so I'll stick with the screen that I have for now but keep an eye out for reviews to see if this will be a better option. 

I have an update!  
My first experience with this National Cycle Sport/Touring was sort of weird.  I moved it up and down.  In the highest position the huge freaking hand guards (?) rubbed against the screen severely  limiting handlebar movement.  I also had my old Nolan N102 on.  Like someone here mentioned, at high speeds I got a slight buffeting.  Yeah, it was annoying.

Since then I've had nothing but perfection!  What's my secret?  Well, I started by putting the screen all the way down and left it there.  I have been riding with my new helmet, a Kali Carbon Blackness rockstar of a helmet.  The thing is a work of art.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfdG1msq929xIGe2Zvd2DL4c6PImRBliuBkNzK50vJIXpioeFX 

I've put over 300 miles on with this helmet and windshield combo.  Zero buffeting.  No noticeable turbulence that I can remember.  With my cheapo earplugs in it's as quiet as I think is possible on a motorcycle. 

I'm 5'8".  Loving this eff-jay
I'm surprised to hear that your handguards are making contact with the windscreen. The molds are perfect on both models that I have. Have you modified the angle of the handguards or modified them in any way?

Just remove the factory hand guards (mostly useless) and put on a set of KTM guards. About $70 shipped to the US, perfect fit! Took 30 mins to install, and blocks way more wind. Looks better and doesn't hit any aftermarket shield!

Just remove the factory hand guards (mostly useless) and put on a set of KTM guards. About $70 shipped to the US, perfect fit! Took 30 mins to install, and blocks way more wind. Looks better and doesn't hit any aftermarket shield!
I also went with the KTM "style" hand guards.  Got them off ebay for less than $30.  They work great!  Much better than the stock guards.  However, I've rotated the bars forward and found that they would collide with the GIVI D2122S screen I recently got.  I had to rotate the bar a little rearward and all is well. 
The KTM guards are far better than the stockers, that are much too far forward of the bar/controls.

Im running the Puig touring screen with the removable deflector (which is a necessity for this screen) and love it. I spoke with Puig's customer service before ordering and they sent me the hand guard displacers so that I could keep the stock hand guards attached.

I agree that the stock guards are not very good in terms of functionality, but I do like how they look with the bike. I have a set of Barkbuster Blizzards that I use when the temperature drops.

Back to the windscreen though. The Puig does flex a bit if you are behind a vehicle on the highway, but it you have clean air it is not the bad. I am 6 foot even, and with the deflector attached, the screen at set to the medium height setting and seat in the low position, I am able to ride with my visor open at highway speeds without a problem. The air barely catches the top of my helmet so if I open the vents I get airflow, but no buffeting and pretty quiet when they are closed.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

My first experience with this National Cycle Sport/Touring was sort of weird.  I moved it up and down.  In the highest position the huge freaking hand guards (?) rubbed against the screen severely  limiting handlebar movement.  
I'm surprised to hear that your handguards are making contact with the windscreen. The molds are perfect on both models that I have. Have you modified the angle of the handguards or modified them in any way?
The windshield is of highest quality and I strongly recommend it.  My hand guards are right where the should be and still the contact is made.  Perhaps if the guards were rotated slightly the problem would be eliminated.