FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

Hi guys, 
Main problem with my tracer was extreme noise I was getting at higher speeds (above 80-90 km/h) with my SHOEI GT AIR Helmet and standard screen (no matter which of the 3 positions). The noise was almost unbearable, like, constant BASS sound from the subwoofer speaker. I could not ride my bike for more than 100 km without ear plugs. I was close to completely removing the windshield, but eventually bought this:

http://www.puig.tv/tuning-bikes/yamaha-mt-09-tracer-2016/racing-screen/c171en/f1-r2-m7092/

It's better. Far better. Wind is now flowing more predictably to my upper chest and that damn low "broooooooom" noise is gone. My helmet is now getting more free air also, so vents are working better.

My only complain about that Puig racing screen is that the screen is not resting on supports that hold the stock one (small rubber things). But I guess it's not needed because the screen is about 6 cm smaller.

Sorry on my bad English, I'm from Croatia btw, 35 years old Yamaha lover. Had Fazer FZ6S before, new Tracer owner, 2000 km on my clock ;)

What's your height?

LP

I've had the Powerbronze for about 3 weeks now and couldn't be happier. I'm right around 5'11" and the stock windscreen didn't work for me at all, way too loud and too much buffeting. Tried the CalSci shorty and it was an improvement over stock, but still too much noise and buffeting. With the Powerbronze you get air on the freeway, but it's clean air which I actually kind of like. Around town it's great! I'm not sure it would be the choice if you were doing extended touring, but for me and the kind of riding I do it's just about perfect...

Does the Puig deflector do anything for the stock windshield? Everyone saying it is awesome seems to also have a 3rd party windshield as well.
Probably but I'd bought the Powerbronze first and a) had disposed of the OE screen and b) preferred the dark tint of the Powerbronze screen. 
In hindsight, just buying the deflector may have improved things enough. 

For reference, here's the Givi 2122DT touring with the MRA X-creen sport extender/spoiler/deflector.

Adjustable on the move, in that position it gives a quiet zone that doesn't cause wobble of the peak on helmets.
I'm about 5"10 and 32" inseam in the old measurements.

The MRA X-creen sport is too wide for the stock windscreen, I have a Givi "universal windshield deflector" for that.
The stock screen and Givi "universal windshield deflector" will be going back on when the weather heats up again, as it gives nice clean air with with the blast hitting upper chest/neck. Sorry, no pictures of the Givi "universal windshield deflector" until I refit it on the bike.

incidentally, I rode an F800GS Adventure (and an R1200GS Adventure :-) yesterday and it also had quite a noisy stock screen.

P_20160820_171049_zps5h5gedp8.jpgP_20160820_171057_zps399zdakh.jpg
 Yes it does rain on the Sunshine Coast sometimes. 

Hello Folks,

Late to the party as I just picked up a 2015 FJ-09 from a private party... sits in my garage waiting for the title to come in so I can register it! :-)

For reference I am 6' 2" and 180 lbs without gear.

In terms of the most popular windscreen that is helping folks on the slightly taller side, what do you guys and girls suggest I try? Trying to tap into the Cult knowledge that exists on this wonderful forum. Thanks a lot!!

Hello Folks, 
Late to the party as I just picked up a 2015 FJ-09 from a private party... sits in my garage waiting for the title to come in so I can register it! :-)

For reference I am 6' 2" and 180 lbs without gear.

In terms of the most popular windscreen that is helping folks on the slightly taller side, what do you guys and girls suggest I try? Trying to tap into the Cult knowledge that exists on this wonderful forum. Thanks a lot!!
6'3" here.  The windscreen that worked best for me is the Madstad 24" screen.  It's for 6'4" + and works great.  It's fully adjustable with tilt and height adjustment.  It comes with support bracket that is better than the stock one. 
I had tried the Calsci large, but still got buffeting at the top of my helmet.

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.13491/.f

Here are some pics of it installed on my bike.
http://fj-09.org/thread/3655/24-madstad

• 3 weeks later...
I'm 5'9" with an approximately 32" inseam and purchased the Madstad 20" screen a few weeks ago at the recommendation of their customer service and site. Unfortunately the people helping me had no idea what they were talking about. They said the screen sizing measurements were taken at it's lowest position, and that the full range of stock adjustment can be used, and their own brackets can be adjusted to raise the screen for additional coverage. When it arrived, the instructions stated that the factory bracket must be in the highest of the 3 positions (it will work in the middle, but hits the plastic "v" in the lowest). I tried all heights and angles with the best results being the tallest and most forward (approximately 2" below eyes), which certainly looks a little goofy as opposed to having the screen closer to the bike, but I really don't mind the look.

The worst part is the low frequency booming that I am left with. Under 40 mph this screen is great. Above that and especially at highway speeds I get a horrible booming noise that is more annoying (but quieter) than no screen at all. What is strange is that I get no buffeting, just the sound as if the screen is filtering out all the high frequency noise. If I lower my head another 2-4" the booming is still there, indicating that the taller 22" or 24" might not help. Really torn as to whether or not I just return the whole thing for a refund and eat the shipping and restock, or live with it.

• Premium Member
nnamssorxela - did you tilt the screen to 60 degrees? I have been looking at the Madstad as well, and tonight I met a friend with an FJ-09 and a Madstad screen to swap bikes and ride for a bit to see if I liked it. In short, it was very comfortable, and put the wind up to the top of my helmet. No wind against my face or upper body, and much quieter than the stock screen. I didn't notice the booming noise you mentioned either. I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask a few more questions, but I'm leaning towards a purchase. Did you talk to Blair? I think he is the most knowledgable person, the lady who answered the phone didn't seem to know very much. I suspect that you may have an installation issue, as my friends Madstad doesn't interfere with any part of his bike, and can be adjusted up or down very easily.

• 2 weeks later...
David - I apologize for my delayed response. I agree that the lady I spoke to didn't know much, and I think the other guy I spoke with on the phone just wasn't familiar with the FJ-09, and didn't have the installation instructions nearby. I can't expect everyone to know everything, but a little disheartening that most of what I needed to know what right in the installation instructions, and they incorrectly conveyed that info to me. Since then, I have been speaking with Blair at Madstad via email. We have decided that I should try the "Sport SD" screen. He said that up until recently the Sport SD screen is what shipped with the FJ-09 kits, however the screen I got was the "new" design. I admit that the new design looks a lot better (IMO) than the old one, but he said maybe the old will allow the air to flow better.

The one I have has angled sides and a fancy "M" cutout at the bottom. The Sport SD is much more rounded and "simple" looking. Do you know which one your friend had? I suspect they didn't do testing with the new one, and just changed the looks.

• Premium Member
David - I apologize for my delayed response. I agree that the lady I spoke to didn't know much, and I think the other guy I spoke with on the phone just wasn't familiar with the FJ-09, and didn't have the installation instructions nearby. I can't expect everyone to know everything, but a little disheartening that most of what I needed to know what right in the installation instructions, and they incorrectly conveyed that info to me. Since then, I have been speaking with Blair at Madstad via email. We have decided that I should try the "Sport SD" screen. He said that up until recently the Sport SD screen is what shipped with the FJ-09 kits, however the screen I got was the "new" design. I admit that the new design looks a lot better (IMO) than the old one, but he said maybe the old will allow the air to flow better. 
The one I have has angled sides and a fancy "M" cutout at the bottom. The Sport SD is much more rounded and "simple" looking. Do you know which one your friend had? I suspect they didn't do testing with the new one, and just changed the looks.
I think you may have uncovered a problem with their new design. I was talking to Blair about what screen would be best for me, (new or old design), and he was touting the new one as much better. I asked him to look at your post on the forum and let me know what the issue was before I would order. He came back and said I should order the old version. He didn't say I couldn't order the new design, but I got the impression he felt he needed to address some issues. I'm guessing you found some things he hadn't seen before.  
I ordered the old version, and it should arrive this week. I rode my friend's FJ-09 and it had the same Madstad screen I ordered. I liked it a lot, and am anxious to get it installed on my bike and spend more time with it.

I wonder why he thinks it is better? It took several emails back and forth of me asking that question, and eventually he said that the hundreds of happy customers have received the "Sport SD" (which is the old design), and they just recently switched to the new design. Don't get me wrong; their customer service has been great, and Blair has been extremely patient over a dozen+ plus emails. I'm just frustrated at the whole experience, and even more so considering that I may have been their guinea pig at my expense. By the time it's all said and done, I'll have spent probably $60 in shipping (I already splurged on the Madstad in the first place), and I might not even get a shield that works.

I actually saw your post when I turned on my computer to buy an MRA X-creen, but after realizing the screen everyone else has been pleased with is different than mine, I may go fork over the cash for the "Sport SD" style.

I've tried 2 different helmets (Arai XD-3 and Icon Airmada) with the same results. Without earplugs the booming is less, but I think that's just because the higher frequency of the wind noise evens it out.

I've attached 2 images of what mine looks like. Now that I've gone to the KTM handguards, there's heaps of clearance.

EDIT: You can also see that my OEM adjusters are all the way up, and the Madstad adjusters are all the way up, creating a sizable gap between the headlight shroud and windscreen. It does look great though! Checked their site and now I can't find any photos of the FJ-09 screen??

IMG_20160926_182245.jpg

IMG_20160926_182325.jpg

• Premium Member
I think you may have uncovered a problem with their new design. I was talking to Blair about what screen would be best for me, (new or old design), and he was touting the new one as much better. I asked him to look at your post on the forum and let me know what the issue was before I would order. He came back and said I should order the old version. He didn't say I couldn't order the new design, but I got the impression he felt he needed to address some issues. I'm guessing you found some things he hadn't seen before.  
I ordered the old version, and it should arrive this week. I rode my friend's FJ-09 and it had the same Madstad screen I ordered. I liked it a lot, and am anxious to get it installed on my bike and spend more time with it.
What size did you order? I'm 6'4" w2ith a 32" inseam and I ordered the 22" screen, a year ago. My helmet is a Nolan N-104 EVO, and I ride with the chinbar up most of the time. I get a little air movement at the top of the helmet, and a little air around the sides to keep me comfortable in the 90-100+ temps we have here in Oklahoma. I also have a Corbin saddle which sits a bit taller than the stock saddle in low position. Did a 2000 mile trip the end of July out across west Texas to Montrose, CO, and the Madstad was perfect. I am a huge fan!