FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

• Premium Member
Hi, Where did you go in Canada to purchase the Puig screen?
Also, do you have any pictures or more details as to how you modded the handguards?
I am undecided between the Puig and the Parabellum screens at the moment so looking at ease of install and effectiveness.
Thanks

I live close to the U.S. Border, purchased from revzilla and had shipped to a ups store near the border.. 15 minutes over the border to get it and 15 minutes back I had it at home. I have added pics to another thread here at fj-09.org http://fj-09.org/thread/2239/puig-touring-screen

Has anyone mounted the Puig screen with Puig hand guards?
The Puig hand guards don't exist yet.  According to a rep I spoke with, they are still in development.  This seems slightly odd considering they have pics up, but perhaps they are just tweaking the production process.  They are due out by the end of the year or earlier.
//QED

Hi, Where did you go in Canada to purchase the Puig screen?
Also, do you have any pictures or more details as to how you modded the handguards?
I am undecided between the Puig and the Parabellum screens at the moment so looking at ease of install and effectiveness.
Thanks
I bought it from bs-motoparts.com in Germany.  Ended up costing me about $250 and took about a week from ordering to receive it (~6 business days), so I was happy with them.  It looks like it's back in stock at revzilla, however.  With exchange and shipping the price should be in the same ballpark. 
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-touring-windscreen-yamaha-fj-09-2015 
//QED

my ermax touring screen arrived today so as the sun was out i thought it fit it on a give it a try, its alot better than the stock screen but im still not happy with it. wind noise upto 50mph is fine but then its gets a bit noisey. anything above 80 is not much fum so the search goes on. will try a short one next. im 6ft 2 with a 33" inside leg. the givi one looks like it will be ideal for me but its soo fugly.

• 4 months later...
I have the Calsci Large, but am still getting some buffeting, so I ordered the Madstad 24" clear today. I am 6'3". I think it will be better since it has it's own mounting system that seems more stable than the stock mount points, and allows air under to prevent the vacuum that causes turbulence.

Was a bit pricey at $287 shipped though :(

• Premium Member
I had the CalSci screen for over six months. Although I was happy with it as far as wind blocking and buffeting, I didn't really like it's looks. I recently bought two new screens from National Cycle called the V-Stream. I had previous experience with them when I had my FJR-1300, and loved the V-Stream screen I had on it. So I was really glad when they made new ones for the FJ-09. They have three sizes, the "sport' which is H-12" (30.5cm) by W-12.75" (32.4cm) dark tint, the "sport/tour" which is H-15.75" (40cm) by W-16" (40.6cm) light gray tint, and the "touring" which is H-17.25" (43.8cm) by W-17.5" (44.4cm) clear. I bought the sport and the sport/tour versions and tested them out this past week, since Northern California has been having perfect riding temperatures the last couple of weeks. I loved the looks of the sport version with it's dark tint, but there was some wind buffeting when riding at freeway speeds. It still works better than the stock screen though by far. I might use it in the summer when temps in the valley are high, and the wind will feel better to cool me down, since I always ride in full gear. But I absolutely love the sport/tour version!! It looks fantastic, and has virtually no buffeting. I am 6'0" and have it set in the low position, and it works perfectly. I have no report for the touring version, but I'm sure that it is even better if using it for long trips, or extensive freeway riding. They have their own bracket to mount to the OEM frame, but it is easy, and anybody can do it in minutes. The prices are okay on the National Cycle website, but I found them on eBay for a lot less.Anyway, I just wanted to put my two-cents in on some great screens!!
R0jhc695J8C27YyPdV1A.PNGoFnsfJBqdrfdO7AH7Oy8.PNGQ195ZHXfHI_Ij3OdWQBp.PNG

4386662.png  

4386661.png

4386659.png

I had the CalSci screen for over six months. Although I was happy with it as far as wind blocking and buffeting, I didn't really like it's looks. I recently bought two new screens from National Cycle called the V-Stream. I had previous experience with them when I had my FJR-1300, and loved the V-Stream screen I had on it. So I was really glad when they made new ones for the FJ-09. They have three sizes, the "sport' which is H-12" (30.5cm) by W-12.75" (32.4cm) dark tint, the "sport/tour" which is H-15.75" (40cm) by W-16" (40.6cm) light gray tint, and the "touring" which is H-17.25" (43.8cm) by W-17.5" (44.4cm) clear. I bought the sport and the sport/tour versions and tested them out this past week, since Northern California has been having perfect riding temperatures the last couple of weeks. I loved the looks of the sport version with it's dark tint, but there was some wind buffeting when riding at freeway speeds. It still works better than the stock screen though by far. I might use it in the summer when temps in the valley are high, and the wind will feel better to cool me down, since I always ride in full gear. But I absolutely love the sport/tour version!! It looks fantastic, and has virtually no buffeting. I am 6'0" and have it set in the low position, and it works perfectly. I have no report for the touring version, but I'm sure that it is even better if using it for long trips, or extensive freeway riding. They have their own bracket to mount to the OEM frame, but it is easy, and anybody can do it in minutes. The prices are okay on the National Cycle website, but I found them on eBay for a lot less.Anyway, I just wanted to put my two-cents in on some great screens!!

Thanks for the review. I have the sport/tour on order and it should arrive on Thursday. I can't wait to get it installed and get rid of the buffeting. I went back and forth between the sport/tour and touring models but the touring model just looked too big but I was worried that the sport/tour wouldn't be tall enough to eliminate the buffeting. Thanks for the confirmation.

• Premium Member
The flare on the V-Stream does indeed help with the wind buffeting greatly. Plus with the bracket that you install, it extends the screen out about an inch from the OEM screen placement to let wind under it, so that helps a lot too, kind of like the hole does in the CalSci screen.

Collegues, it's worth asking if these windshields are made of Acrylic - after watching the VStream video I see there is a huge difference. 
In what starts out as a simple video comparison, things  get intense real quick... and I see now that there is no reason any windshield should ever be made from Acrylic.

Does anyone actually have an acrylic windshield?

Acrylic does not scratch as easily, and the scratches can be buffed out, provided they aren't too deep. Polycarbonate can't be buffed, so any scratches are there to stay. Acrylic doesn't yellow over time like polycarbonate can though. Polycarbonate is more chemical resistant, so harsher cleaners can be used.

I had an acrylic Puig touring windscreen for my FZ1, and was rather disappointed how easily it scratched. If the (polycarbonate) Givi D2122S I ordered doesn't work for me, I'm definitely going to give the mid Vstream a try. The scratch resistant coating they apply sounds great. Best of both worlds.

Mark.

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

Collegues, it's worth asking if these windshields are made of Acrylic - after watching the VStream video I see there is a huge difference. 
In what starts out as a simple video comparison, things  get intense real quick... and I see now that there is no reason any windshield should ever be made from Acrylic.

Does anyone actually have an acrylic windshield?

From the Cal Sci site - 
"Plastics

Windshields for motorcycles are made from either polycarbonate (Lexan) or acrylic (Plexiglas). Each type of plastic has advantages and disadvantages.

Polycarbonate is an extremely strong plastic. Polycarbonate is about as transparent as glass. Polycarbonate cuts and forms easily at both room temperature and at higher temperatures. For machining purposes, you can work with polycarbonate pretty much the same as you would aluminum. Polycarbonate has a major drawback for windshield use: polycarbonate picks up water from the air. The water eventually makes the polycarbonate cloudy. This water will form bubbles if you heat the polycarbonate to forming temperatures. So, before you can form polycarbonate, first you have to place it in a drying oven at about 200° for about 12 hours. Because of this, only companies that manufacture polycarbonate make windshields. Polycarbonate is sensitive to ammonia, so glass cleaners like Windex should not be used on polycarbonate. Polycarbonate windshields need a coating to protect them from chemicals and prevent them from absorbing water from the air. This optical coating is difficult to apply uniformly, resulting in optical distortion. It also scratches and cannot be repaired with plastic polish. By far the most popular polycarbonate for motorcycle windshields is GE Lexan Margard MR10, aka "quantum coated." GE polymers was recently bought by a Saudi Arabian firm, Sabic - see GEPlastics.com. We don't buy products from countries that fund terrorism.

Acrylic is only about 3% as impact resistant as polycarbonate. Normal acrylic shatters upon impact, and therefore is considered an unsafe material for windshields. Acrylic is very chemically resistant, and is more transparent than glass - glass absorbs about half again as much light as acrylic does. Acrylic forms easily at high temperatures, about 300°. However, machining acrylic at room temperature is difficult. It's not very easy to cut acrylic with a saw or drill holes in acrylic without shattering or weakening the material.

Polycarbonate is a DOT approved material for making windshields; normal acrylic is not. Some states require DOT approved windshields, and therefore in these states a normal acrylic windshield is actually illegal, however these laws are rarely enforced. Normal acrylic can be shattered by an impact from a rock moving at speeds as low as 15mph.

We use a special high cost acrylic called Impact Modified Acrylic. This form of acrylic is DOT approved for windshields. We use only DOT certified impact resistant plastics to make Calsci windshields. Our windshields will not shatter if hit by a rock. We test our windshields by shooting them with a .22 caliber rifle and verifying that the windshield maintains its basic integrity without shedding small pieces that could impact your face or eyes. No windshield can protect you against everything, but we do our best to make certain that our windshields protect you against the small rocks frequently thrown up by other vehicle's tires. "

I installed the VStream Sport/Tour windscreen and although it's much better than the stock one I'm still getting a significant amount of buffeting. I don't want to say that I'm disappointed with it but it doesn't reduce the buffeting nearly as much as I had hoped. At lower speeds (below 50 MPH) I can ride comfortably with my faceshield up which is very nice although at freeway speeds the buffeting and wind noise is really bad. On the freeway here in California (lots of traffic) it feels like I'm getting hit from wind from all directions! I was really surprised how bad it was. I later found an empty stretch of road and got up to about 75 MPH and it's much better than the freeway of course but the wind noise and buffeting is still very noticeable. I'm 5'9" and i found that if I ducked my head an inch or two it pretty much went away so I'm thinking that the Touring model would have eliminated this. I regret not getting the Touring model but I still may before my 1000 mile trip at the end of the month.

• Premium Member

I installed the VStream Sport/Tour windscreen and although it's much better than the stock one I'm still getting a significant amount of buffeting. I don't want to say that I'm disappointed with it but it doesn't reduce the buffeting nearly as much as I had hoped. At lower speeds (below 50 MPH) I can ride comfortably with my faceshield up which is very nice although at freeway speeds the buffeting and wind noise is really bad. On the freeway here in California (lots of traffic) it feels like I'm getting hit from wind from all directions! I was really surprised how bad it was. I later found an empty stretch of road and got up to about 75 MPH and it's much better than the freeway of course but the wind noise and buffeting is still very noticeable. I'm 5'9" and i found that if I ducked my head an inch or two it pretty much went away so I'm thinking that the Touring model would have eliminated this. I regret not getting the Touring model but I still may before my 1000 mile trip at the end of the month.
I started with the Touring Model. It really is effective at eliminating all noise and buffeting. But I found it very unpleasant having to look through the screen and in rather strong wind I felt it negatively affected the bike's stability. I replaced it with the Sport Touring (medium) one. It is somewhat better than the OEM screen. My advice is that you should not expect massive improvements from any screen. I'm 5'8".