FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

• Premium Member
 "Zero Gravity" just shared with me that they have developed 2 windscreens for the FJ-09 one is "short double bubble" screen and the other is a "sport touring" screen. I was told that they hoped to have them up on there web site by next week. I used one of their sport touring screens on my FZ1 and it was an improvement, hopefully it will be help the FJ also. 
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

• Premium Member
Short review of my Laminar Lip. I've got about 20 miles on it so far. I'm looking for reduced wind noise. I never had a buffeting problem.

Ordering was easy. Just under $100 shipped IF you select USPS Priority (default is the more expensive UPS Ground). They do allow returns so long as you don't use the adhesive and don't scratch it.

Initial set up is relatively easy. They recommend placing it between 1" above the stock windscreen and halfway up the Laminar Lip (maybe 2.5" above the stock screen). I used painter's tape and rode with it taped in those two different places on the stock windscreen. I settled on a position about 2" up, because I didn't like seeing the gap between the bottom of the Lip and the top of the windscreen if I looked down. I still look over the top of the Laminar Lip at their max recommended height with the windscreen in the tall position. I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam. There is no interference with mirrors or handguards in any of the 3 positions.

It's an improvement, but it's not a miracle. Think of it this way: the wind noise with the Lip is about the same volume as the stock screen when the bike is moving 20 - 25 mph faster. IOW, wind noise at 50 mph with the Lip is similar to wind noise without the lip at 25 - 30 mph. The sound has more bass. This is with the screen in my preferred positions (up with the Lip and down without). Wind noise behind the screen in my normal riding position is now quieter than standing up well above the screen in open air (used to be the opposite).
I still get airflow into the top vents of my helmet and I still had light rain hit me with the face shield up. The windscreen doesn't shimmy, at least up to ~ 70 mph that I rode.

21094120359_e590c32c6a_c.jpg

20659885583_84dabc2162_c.jpg

21289112111_97cab7b7bb_c.jpg

Here's the BUT:

All the benefits above are with the Lip on in a specific position and the windscreen high. Lip low + screen low = improvement and Lip high + screen high = improvement. But Lip low + screen high = small improvement and Lip high + screen low = no improvement. The Lip is designed to be placed once on the screen and left. It can be adjusted, but it's a pain to do so.

There is some low frequency, small amplitude buffeting between 30 and 40 mph when my helmet shield is cracked open that wasn't there before. It goes away if I speed up, slow down, or tip my chin down slightly.

There is a patch of turbulent air if I raise myself up from sitting to a squat. Air is still clean if I stand all the way up.
At night there is a small amount of glare reflected from the dashboard.

Overall, I would say that the screen is worth considering. I think I will keep it and ride with it. The price is good. They have a liberal return policy. It will probably be perfect for a few people, but it will not work for everyone.

• Premium Member
Perporter, do the stock handguards have full or almost full clearance when turning with the Madstad? 
Also, at 6'4", do you find yourself looking OVER or THROUGH the screen?

Stock hand guards hit the screen in full lock situations. I followed Doctore777s' lead and ordered KTM  hand guards. http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-original-factory-handguards They work a treat, and don't hit anything any time.  I look over the screen.  

Hi, enjoyed your detailed review of the laminar lip screen.
I wanted to ask the amount of wobble you might have noticed due to it being only adhesively attached to the original Yamaha screen?
I have used those 3M adhesive locks but not sure how to trust them to hold a screen at highway speeds, rain, etc....wondering if 1 day it will just blow off and hit me in the face?

• Premium Member
I returned my 26" touring screen from Parabellum. I am a small screen, feel the breeze kind of guy. Plus it is 105F on my patio right now. I'll need a monster screen for 3 months out of the year - but will pull my windbreaker over my jacket instead.
Parabellum made a good product though, just not for me.
Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

i see Givi has just released a touring windshield, anyone tried it yet???? 

I have one. My results with it have been indifferent.  
Im 6ft 2 with a 34 inch inseam.

The quality is good - typical givi. Whilst its an improvement on the stock screen my helmet is still left in a buffeting zone so I have taken it off . I think it would be good if you were less than 5ft 10 tall.

So far I have brought the ermax touring screen and now the givi.It drives me mental that yamaha ruin a bike that has touring potential with such a poor screen. Still they are not alone- I had 2014 Vstrom 1000 that buffeted so bad it felt like your head was in a clothes dryer. The problem was solved when I got a givi airstream for it.

Im back to the short do it yourself screen that Fred designed- it works best for me.

Anyone in New Zealand want to buy an Ermax or Givi screen - send me a personal message :)

• Premium Member
Hi, enjoyed your detailed review of the laminar lip screen. I wanted to ask the amount of wobble you might have noticed due to it being only adhesively attached to the original Yamaha screen?
I have used those 3M adhesive locks but not sure how to trust them to hold a screen at highway speeds, rain, etc....wondering if 1 day it will just blow off and hit me in the face?

Very little. The whole screen wobbles a little more than it did without the Lip. The Lip doesn't seem to move relative to the screen.

Guest fzrcraig
I bought the Ermax Touring Screen - better than stock but still noisy and some buffeting. Screen also moves around a lot. So I went the opposite way with a Parabellum fly screen. Rode around town 45 mph and below with an open face helmet and it was acceptably smooth air. Will have to try at highway speed with a full face but seems like a good option for the summer months. Screen is quite thick, very solid and tips slightly more forward at the top as a result of the spacers provided (1/2"). Plastic caps cover the screws.

I installed my Parabellum windscreen a couple weeks ago and now find my self riding with my visor up most of the time and I can actually hear the motorcycle. 

What height Parabellum did you get and how tall are you? I was considering doing the package deal with the touring and fly screens but I'm not sure what height touring screen to get. I'm 6'1", by the way.