FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

• Premium Member
I went to California Scientific yesterday as I live right down the road from them. They were out of the clear taller screens because everybody on here is buying them up, haha!! He told me to come back in the afternoon, and he should have some more. Well, when I called to make sure he had one for me, he said he made five that day, and they were already taken. Guess I should have had him set one aside for me.

But on another note, the short tinted screen has been changed slightly from the pictures on their website. He told me that when they did further testing on it, the wind was hitting them right in the face, so they made it slightly smaller so that it would hit you in the upper chest/below the helmet area. So if you are thinking of buying the short tinted one, check with them first to make sure it is what you want.

These screens seem like good quality stuff though, so I will be picking up either the taller one, or both. Not too sure about the short one, since I do a lot of freeway riding. We will see...

These over-sized hand guards really crippling the windshield options. I think Yamaha should have gone with lower profile hand-guards, like Kawi Versys did, that would have allowed wider wind screen for better touring capability. The first thing I'd do is replacing hand guards for slimmer ones, as a bonus, you can fit a hippo hands on slim guards easier. And we all know a combination of heated grips and hippo hands miffs is a mmmm thing during winter months!
Hi Nick, welcome to the site.  Although they are calling the FJ a sport touring motorcycle, you will find more sport attitude than touring attitude.   I try to keep a balance.  I tried to make my FZ a touring bike, so when the FJ came out I was in, in a flash.  I also have a FJR so touring is what I do.  I am with you on the windshield options.  I do think that the larger touring versions will do just fine, although I haven't tried one yet.  Waiting for more reviews and the current set up is okay and will  work just fine in the warmer weather.  I bought Oxford muffs for the FZ and they do not fit over the hand guard mounting frame after taking off the plastic guards, so I will end up having to remove the entire works.  They work great and are now on the FJR.  Easy to switch bikes.  Most here have never used muffs, and when you use the name hippo hands it kind of dates you.  Keep up the good suggestions, we have a lot of teaching to do. ;) 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the find ! Just made the order for the larger windshield. I will post pic when its installed

How was it to install? My larger windshield arrived today but looks like there's more work involved than a few screws. It appears to increase the coverage a lot.

• Premium Member
Thanks for the find ! Just made the order for the larger windshield. I will post pic when its installed
How was it to install? My larger windshield arrived today but looks like there's more work involved than a few screws. It appears to increase the coverage a lot.
5 minutes tops, then snap on the covers, another 8 seconds.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Howdy,

I ordered the OEM touring windshield Yamaha has available when I bought my Fj-09 last week and I just installed it. It requires removing half of the hand guards to install but it is much bigger and I haven't seen any mention of this windshield here yet. I like the looks so far but I haven't taken it on the street quite yet ( Tomorrow looks good!) so we will have to see how it handles. 

Guest bmidd
Are any of you guys of the taller variety like myself? I'm 6'4" tall so the stock windscreen doesn't work well for me whether it's all the way up or down. The lowest setting hits right under my chin around my neck and the upper feels like someone is slapping my head back and forth. If you are my size, which direction did you go? I'm leaning towards he short screen because it would probably hit me in the chest. Any input will be appreaciated, thanks!

Are any of you guys of the taller variety like myself? I'm 6'4" tall so the stock windscreen doesn't work well for me whether it's all the way up or down. The lowest setting hits right under my chin around my neck and the upper feels like someone is slapping my head back and forth. If you are my size, which direction did you go? I'm leaning towards he short screen because it would probably hit me in the chest. Any input will be appreaciated, thanks!
You're only 6'4"? Sheesh. I remember being that short once :) I have only done 20 miles since picking the bike up this morning, too windy out for it to be nice.
At 6'7" I found the OEM touring screen a bit noisy (helmet) when fully up, better in the lower position. Too early to tell properly yet, watch this space...

I ordered the Ermax touring windshield about a month ago. Hopefully, they will by arriving Stateside very soon. Attractive, well made and very good value. Now, if I can get delivery, I'll tell you more.

Should be getting them in in about a week or less, depending on how far behind the customs guys fell behind from this snow storm we just got hit with!