FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

I installed my Cal-Sci tinted shorty and like the result. I'm 6' and keep the seat in the low position. Screen position 1/2 so far.
Wind hits the helmet at the nosecone at low speed 30-40 mph, bugs can woft over the screen and hit your neck below 30 but the added ventilation when it's hot and humid is welcome.
At higher speeds wind flow moves up slightly, the roar seems less and following SUV's and pick-ups (Texas) produces less helmet wobbling.
At highway speeds (60-80 mph) in traffic with large trucks and associated turbulence this is a different bike, the shake and wobble I assumed was coming from the handguard wings and wacky fairing shape is greatly reduced. Clean air lets the helmet do it's thing for better or worse.
It is much quieter and seems stable at 90+ but I need a longer ride to confirm.
It is shorter, wider and not optically perfect when viewed at an angle, a non issue for me. I have no rain experience yet but assume my lower helmet area will get more water than the stock screen.

Well packaged, tire guage, micro-fiber cloth and cleaner included. Happy so far and what I expected, a long tour next week will be the true test.

I'm thinking.. how about drilling hundreds of 2mm holes on the windshield and make it look like a wafer...  :D.. maybe it will whistle too ;) 

Actually, you might be (unintentionally) onto to something... maybe a slightly larger shield with a Gold Wing-style vent cut low into it might do the trick.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

Gonna ride over to Madstad to look at their kit this coming week. Saw it mounted on a bike in a dealership here in Zephyrhills, Florida. Madstad is located in Dade City, Florida, next town North.
Did you ride over to Madstad yet? 
They now show an 18" version for the FJ-09, might work well for my multi-day rides (I'm 5' 7".)

I'm curious about how easy it would be switch back and forth between the 18" Madstad, and my current CalSci shorty (which I may cut down shorter.)

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Gonna ride over to Madstad to look at their kit this coming week. Saw it mounted on a bike in a dealership here in Zephyrhills, Florida. Madstad is located in Dade City, Florida, next town North.
Did you ride over to Madstad yet? 
They now show an 18" version for the FJ-09, might work well for my multi-day rides (I'm 5' 7".)

I'm curious about how easy it would be switch back and forth between the 18" Madstad, and my current CalSci shorty (which I may cut down shorter.)

I rode over & purchased a kit which I got for 20% off for cash & local pick up. Won't be able to tell you more as my FJ is still crated in New York. Won't pick it up till the end of April when I return to the frozen north after wintering in Florida. Didn't appear to be too difficult to switch between screens. You did notice that you have to remove the outer hand guard cover to fit the Madstad screen right?

Wait - the $200+ screen doesn't fit the bike as is?
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

• Premium Member
Wait - the $200+ screen doesn't fit the bike as is?
It doesn't have cutouts for the handguards, so they'll bump the screen before you hit the lock. 
That's probably at least part of why the Yamaha screen is so narrow, and it's why the Ermax has cutouts.

On the plus side, that means the Madstad screen has better coverage, and probably less noise/turbulence.  On the minus, you either deal with interference or you remove the handguards.  Take your pick.

I know that some people don't care for the handguards and that makes the decision easier.  I like the handguards so I wouldn't even consider the Madstad screen.  I bought the Ermax because a number of people said it has less noise/turbulence than the Yamaha screen, and at $105 it's not terribly expensive.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

That's what I mean, and I agree with your choice; it'll be the likely direction I go if I decide to change it, and I love the handguards, too.
I just don't believe it's 'made for the model' when it doesn't fit the model as it come stock, that's all.
s e t h

And again, I don't think I should have to modify my bike to fit an aftermarket piece designed for the bike. :)
I don't believe the the majority of the turbulence is coming from the lower sides of the screen; more from the top - I really wonder how much of a difference it would make to trim a little off the sides to accommodate the stock bike's design.
s e t h

I rode over & purchased a kit which I got for 20% off for cash & local pick up. Won't be able to tell you more as my FJ is still crated in New York. Won't pick it up till the end of April when I return to the frozen north after wintering in Florida. Didn't appear to be too difficult to switch between screens. You did notice that you have to remove the outer hand guard cover to fit the Madstad screen right?
Thanks. Hand guards are not a problem, I already removed them completely. I don't like the look of the Yamaha guards, and they are very wide. The first thing that attracted me to the Madstad screen is it's wider at the base.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

I also took the hand guards off so my DIY touring windscreen would work. z5TBMyy.jpgThis things works great. Note, it doesn't even need cut outs like the Cal Si suggests is needed to stop buffeting. I get no buffeting. I think that enough air slides under the screen off the nose and equalizes the air pressure on the back side.  I will use for another month then replace with the stock for the summer and I will put the hand guards back on. In the real cold, I use muffs for the hands, as shown in the pic.  The bike looks good w/o the guards too.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

"Just stumbled upon this site and wanted to pass it along...

www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FJ-09prod.html"

This is a great site. Ordered a large clear one a few days ago.  8-)  The stock windscreen was just not getting it as evidenced by all the bugs on my face shield.

2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

I just came into work today running the new ERMAX high screen. Big improvement over the stock screen and no helmet wind force. Ran on screen adjustment middle (2). You can't use the very top of the screen adjustment as the hand guards will touch the side of the screen in the highest position. Could remove the hand guards to eliminate the problem and probably will once temps are a steady 70 degrees and above. Nice screen for a good price.

Tried drilling once on an older windscreen (HondaLine fairing) and it started to develop cracks between holes.  An inverted Lazy W pattern instead of a series of straight lines ought to fix this.  Drill, then countersink to relieve stress and it should work.  After the mod, which was about an inch over the fairing, centered, and shaped like a 7"x3" rectangle with a series of 1/8" holes, I could smoke a cigarette while riding behind the screen.  It got cracks in between the centermost drill holes. Wind load at the top of the screen from sustained high speed riding probably contributed to the plexiglas fatiguing. 
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.