FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

By looking through the comments and reviews from fellow riders here. Can see that the cal sci touring screen does a better job in deflecting the wind, reduce noise, buffeting and turbulence. Any more cal sci screen user able to give more reviews on the riding experience? Anyway I am 5"8 and hopefully someone my height will be able to give reviews before I actually place an order for that screen. Currently Puig has published some images of the coming screen for fj09 on their website. Looks kinda good with the option to add on a adjustable visor.

Here's my 2c worth. Best position stock windshield for me is fully down, I bought a new SHARK EVO 3 and wind noise is to my view loud.... I was blaming windshield. So my SHARK helmet jaw section broke off so I used my Nolan N43... Wow.. Same windshield position the noise level dropped to half . To bad can't get refund on my SHARK Modular helmet.

Installed the CalSci shorty windscreen. I'm 5'6" wearing a Shoei rf1000 or Rf1100. It works about 'OK' for me in one position only. Not a vast improvement over stock. More saddle time may change my opinion. I wear earplugs. The stock was just too noisy in any position.
I installed a MRA with spoiler on my 2009 Versys. It was such a pleasurable and dramatic improvement over stock on the bike. I never expected such calm at highway speeds from such a simple set-up even when passing multiple 18 wheelers.
I will be disappointed if at some point I don't find a shield that works as well for the FJ09. Change bike disappointed? I can't say right now. But this could be the FJ09 Achilles heel!?

Question that I don't think has been answered yet... do you think we're talking aerodynamics or material flex here? If the stock screen were to stay perfectly still, would we still be getting the same amount of turbulence? I'm no aeronautical engineer, but I wonder if any screen that was significantly stiffer (whether by thicker material or extended bracing, or some combination thereof) would tend to be less likely to give off a dirty airflow? All that flapping around has to be a big part of the cause, no?
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

More time with the Shorty CalSci. A big Meh. Bobble head effect. I'm 5'6". I'll have to switch between OEM and the shorty to see which works better. I did however change to using foam earplugs and the Moldex Meteor earplugs #6630 NRR28 work great for me. I was using silicone re-useable before and should have gone disposable sooner.

More time with the CalSci. A big Meh. Bobble head effect. I'm 5'6". I'll have to switch between OEM and the shorty to see which works better. I did however change to using foam earplugs and the Moldex Meteor earplugs #6630 NRR28 work great for me. I was using silicone re-useable before and should have gone disposable sooner.
Which Calsci screen?  The tall touring?

Guest rszk
Weirdest thing, I have lots of noise with my Shoei Neotec so I've resorted to ear plugs on my Ermax touring shield, tried my AGV Evo DS helmet and it's quieter...I'm hoping someone comes up with a solution soon.

I just came from an FJR1300 and love the FJ09. I had a calsci medium and extra large for the FJ so I bought a large for my 09. I like the screen. Looks are so so but it works worlds better than stock for my 5-9 frame. It deflects back a lot at speeds over 80 though which is really strange. At 100 mph I would say it deflects back at the top nearly 2 inches!
I have not had time to try to resolve this. I believe it is all in the mounting system.
I get no buffeting to speak of and I run it all the way up. I may lower it with the warm weather though. Hope this helps someone.

More time with the CalSci. A big Meh. Bobble head effect. I'm 5'6". I'll have to switch between OEM and the shorty to see which works better. I did however change to using foam earplugs and the Moldex Meteor earplugs #6630 NRR28 work great for me. I was using silicone re-useable before and should have gone disposable sooner.
Which Calsci screen?  The tall touring?
The Shorty. 

I'm 6'1, and have the seat set to high position, no problem with bobble heading, but the noise is pretty loud with the screen in both high and low settings. Anyone with similar settings / height found good alternatives to the stock screen?

I know a few have posted adding additional holes to stock screen for higher or lower adjustment. Could someone who has done this provide pics or description of how to do this without damaging the stock screen...?

Thanks!

Just got a new FJ-09 and tried the windscreen at its highest and lowest, but there was a lot of buffeting in both positions. I took off the screen and the noise is gone, and am now just looking for the smallest screen possible that is curved and makes the front look more like other sportbikes.

I read this whole thread and the best looking ones to me are the CalSci dark shorty, but it requires taking off the hand guards which I want to keep for now, and I really like the look of this MRA screen but it isn't available yet - http://www.bs-motoparts.com/en/wind-protection/double-bubble-screen-mra-yamaha-mt-09-tracer-2015-clear-i674-56989-0.htm

Can anyone recommend the smallest screen possible that might offer minimal protection, but finishes off the front end with a nice curved sporty look?

Just got a new FJ-09 and tried the windscreen at its highest and lowest, but there was a lot of buffeting in both positions. I took off the screen and the noise is gone, and am now just looking for the smallest screen possible that is curved and makes the front look more like other sportbikes.  
I read this whole thread and the best looking ones to me are the CalSci dark shorty, but it requires taking off the hand guards which I want to keep for now, and I really like the look of this MRA screen but it isn't available yet - http://www.bs-motoparts.com/en/wind-protection/double-bubble-screen-mra-yamaha-mt-09-tracer-2015-clear-i674-56989-0.htm

Can anyone recommend the smallest screen possible that might offer minimal protection, but finishes off the front end with a nice curved sporty look?
The hand guards do not interfere with the CalSci shorty windshield. I have one. If you want to buy my week old shorty send me a message. It looks good but doesn't work for me.