FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

To some of the comments of the Ermax windscreen interfering in either the low or high position, Ive found that raising or lowering the forks in the triple tree a bit will allow for all 3 postions, assuming the handguards are in the correct postions.

ha! that sure is a barn door... is it the yamaha touring screen for the FJ-09, or what brand? how's the wind noise with it?

Also for anyone interested in seeing the tall ermax screen on the bike I'm pretty sure this guy has it, go about 19 seconds in to the video for the best view...

hi @thruster8999

I'm 5'10" and having issues with the stock shield too.  I noticed that you were going to test out the Ermax short screen.  This is the screen that I'm interested in (although tough to source locally here in Oz).

Interested to hear your thoughts after having some more time testing the short screen?

hi @thruster8999 
I'm 5'10" and having issues with the stock shield too.  I noticed that you were going to test out the Ermax short screen.  This is the screen that I'm interested in (although tough to source locally here in Oz).

Interested to hear your thoughts after having some more time testing the short screen?

I found that the shorty didnt work all that well. I really like the look but still get alot of noise in all postions. The lowest setting is the best but still noisey.

I'm thinking of trying out the Ermax high screen as I like the looks of it. I'm only 5'6". but plan on taking a long trip (3000 miles) so some quiet riding would be a nice change. I don't get a ton of noise, but if i lower my head just an inch or 2 with the stock screen, it's substantially quieter. I'm thinking a slightly taller windscreen would do. Does anyone know how much taller the Ermax is over stock?

@thruster8999 what a shame as I was hoping that there would be a clear way forward to this issue.  The noise isn't killing me but it's just annoying that it is there.  Might take the screen off all together and see how it looks/works.

Thanks for the update and hope you find a solution you can share with us!

Guest rszk
Here is a side by side shot of my OEM vs. Ermax Touring shield. We are basically the same height. The wind still hits me on the upper third of my helmet and I still get quite a bit of noise, but it is better than stock.
1BDABE31-9FA2-46B1-8BE7-C8092CDB6856_zpsvlgjnj66.jpg

I hope this helps.

I think your clutch needs some adjustment.  Mine is exactly the opposite of what you describe.  My clutch engages very late in the pull (relative to some other bikes) and stays engaged as expected.

I just installed the large calsci touring screen. I'm 187 cm also.

In the highest position, there is a lot of still air and greatly reduced wind noise. If i duck down below the screen, pretty much no noise.
In the lowest position, i get a bit more flow on my helmet but it remains quiet.

Much improved over the stock in eiher position. No bufeting. and very much quieter.

Only down side may be that it is too still now and a bit warmer as a result. Yesterday was 91F (33C) here. I'm going to cut my stock sceen very low to minic no screen.

IMG_4617.jpg

IMG_4616.jpg
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

mjsracing can you show me more photos from a distance on the highest position or maybe if its possible all position to see how big and tall is the windshield???i'm about to order thats why.....and i live in greece......!!better to see all the bike from different angles.thanks for your help...anyway my friend.!!!!

mjsracing can you show me more photos from a distance on the highest position or maybe if its possible all position to see how big and tall is the windshield???i'm about to order thats why.....and i live in greece......!!better to see all the bike from different angles.thanks for your help...anyway my friend.!!!!
Of course! More photos in a few minutes. I have a bit of carpool duty, then I'll post some up. 
IMG_4621.jpg

IMG_4622.jpg

IMG_4623.jpg

IMG_4620.jpg

This CalSci screen is the winner for me! Quiet enough for no earplugs. REALLY calm (still) air on my body. Not much air on my helmet. In rain or temperatures below 30C, this is what I plant to ride with.  In the really hot, I plan to ride with my stock screen, sawed off at the top of the instruments, for a lot of airflow.

Like I said we are the same height. I have relatively short legs 30in (76cm) so a long torso. This is a very nice windscreen for me.

and the photos are with the windshield in top position.right?
Yes.  
All recent photos in the highest position.

Tested in the lowest position a couple of times, but highest is much quieter and little cooling airflow difference for me.