FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

I'm 6' and the screen is loud at ALL positions. Only way to get clean air is as JimF said, stand on the pegs. I had a Givi Airflow on my previous bike and it was fantastic. I noticed on Givi's Italian site that they are coming out with a model 2122DT for the Tracer. http://www.givi.it/my-motorcycle#YAMAHA,MT-09_Tracer_(15) Can't wait to see what they come up with.

I took a long backroad ride today, and I found the exact same thing to be true (at least below 60 or so). With earplugs, the clean air was silent, but I had to stand to get there. Same height as bubba, too. Had me thinking a shorty shield would be great. But part of why I bought this bike was for some wind protection; instead, I use earplugs all the time because of the noise. I really want to find a good solution.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

• Premium Member
It's a good idea to wear earplugs on most rides, unless quite short. Even on an apparently quiet bike, over time the noise levels will damage your hearing.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

It's a good idea to wear earplugs on most rides, unless quite short. Even on an apparently quiet bike, over time the noise levels will damage your hearing.
Huh? 
Yeah, got it the second time around.  :D
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

I had an adjustable visor thingy left over from my previous VStrom and since I'm resigned to the fact the stock screen is poo I took a drill to it and attached the visor.  Looks shiet but not too shabbyy function-wise.

I experimented with various settings and in the end settled for the stock screen at the highest position and the visor set to the middle position.  My head is mostly turbulent free, seems to be dependant on the wind direction.

photo%2B%2866%29.JPG

• Premium Member
I had an adjustable visor thingy left over from my previous VStrom and since I'm resigned to the fact the stock screen is poo I took a drill to it and attached the visor.  Looks shiet but not too shabbyy function-wise. 
I experimented with various settings and in the end settled for the stock screen at the highest position and the visor set to the middle position.  My head is mostly turbulent free, seems to be dependant on the wind direction.

photo%2B%2866%29.JPG
That actually doesn't look too bad. Almost looks like it is made for it. Just grind down the edges to follow the stock windscreen lines and you will be  good.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

FWIW, I tinted the stock screen the other day and it looks a lot better, if not quieter :)
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

I was able to get out yesterday with my new ermax touring windscreen. I am not at all impressed. I am 5'8" and got buffing at the high setting with alot of noise. Middle setting not much buffing but still noisey. Low better but still not impressed. I also bought the short ermax sport screen and tried it out on a short run. I like it much better but will see how it does on the freeway.

How tall are you and what is your impression about the shorty Ermax?  

FWIW, I tinted the stock screen the other day and it looks a lot better, if not quieter :)
Im quite happy with the stock screen but would like it tinted, all the tinted after market screens are either bigger or smaller,ive been looking for a same size tinted screen and had considered getting it tinted, so any info about how you did would be appreciated

well, got to ride the new scoot.. tried windshield up and down positions... the up position really created noise vs the down position. I have three full face helmets and big difference between the two - the best ( less noise) was the Shark Evo 3 vs my HD modular helmet which i think is a HJC. Oh Yeah... the Nolan N43 was just little noisier than the Shark helmet..i think the windshield should be a little wider and possibly a small recurve at the top to push the wind a little higher... I ducted into the windshield ( like Race position) and all the wind and noise disappeared. ( of course it did - shielded from the wind)...
so what is the ideal windshield ? i don't know... i will try to ride with no shield next ride.. weather sucks for the next week here... cold and rain. a wider and slightly taller windshield i think is ideal but then the looks just don't grab me.... just my 2cents feedback.. I am curious to what FredG short shield is like regarding wind noise. to bad can't try the bigger shield from the dealer and if don't like it can give back... its an expensive 300$ experiment i don't want to try yet !!

I was able to get out yesterday with my new ermax touring windscreen. I am not at all impressed. I am 5'8" and got buffing at the high setting with alot of noise. Middle setting not much buffing but still noisey. Low better but still not impressed. I also bought the short ermax sport screen and tried it out on a short run. I like it much better but will see how it does on the freeway.

How tall are you and what is your impression about the shorty Ermax?

I am 5'8" am I like it much better then the tall one but I havent got ride that much with the shorty because I am still waiting for the recall to be done on the bike.
The tall one just buffed to much for my liking.

Im quite happy with the stock screen but would like it tinted, all the tinted after market screens are either bigger or smaller,ive been looking for a same size tinted screen and had considered getting it tinted, so any info about how you did would be appreciated
There's a local (to me) shop that does tinting and wraps and graphics... we tried it out on mine. If it works well (so far so good after 3 days and 300 miles), we're going to offer it out here to those who might want it. We used a tinted laminate, which allowed us to contour the material to the indentations where the mounting screws go. So far, so good. Looks great. I'll keep you posted.
s e t h