FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

Deerslayer, is the rare accessory the rear wheel stand? :-S  Ordered a CalSci "L" a coupla days ago.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

Deerslayer, is the rare accessory the rear wheel stand? :-S  Ordered a CalSci "L" a coupla days ago.
Yes. It came with a Honda NS400R. That question is over 2 months old (Jan 20 post!)

I may cut down the CalSci shorty/low even lower, not sure yet.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
WORKING WITH RIFLE : USED MY BIKE AS A PRODO TYPE ! REALLY COMFORTABLE THEIR TOURING WINDSCREEN. SHOULD BE ON THE MARKET ASAP! GOING TO PICKUP THE FINAL SCREEN TODAY!!
Nice, please post up a separate review with pictures when you get it. super_zpsd4x7by7h.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Thank God for Ermax.  The stock screen is insanely noisy.  On high position it was deafening for me, on low it was only crazy loud.  I could get clean air by standing on the pegs or tucking right down inside the screen, but nothing like a normal riding position worked.

I'm still playing with the Ermax screen.  On low I still get a bit of noise although I suspect a tall rider would find it just right.  I think it might be best on high for me, maybe push the airstream over the helmet entirely.  I'll be trying that out on the way back from lunch.

Can't argue with the ease of switching screens.  I think it took longer to get the Ermax out of its packaging than to switch.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Yes. It came with a Honda NS400R. That question is over 2 months old (Jan 20 post!) 

I feel validated as a biker - I told my wife it was for a Honda 400!  Great little bikes. Lot's of people turned them into cafe racers...
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

I feel validated as a biker - I told my wife it was for a Honda 400!  Great little bikes. Lot's of people turned them into cafe racers...
I believe you're thinking of a different Honda 400. 
The NS400R is a mid 80's V-3 two stroke race replica:
http://classic-motorbikes.net/wp/honda-ns400r/

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

deerSlayer: Nope. I was certain it was from the race bike! It was the two stroke. Bettencourt's Honda in West Bridgewater (MA) had one. We used to have a small specialty shop nearby in Bridgewater and did a Suzuki 2 stroke triple and a 350 Jawa 2 stroke to race specs - 180 intake, 200 exhaust and 135 transfer in the late 70's. Lots of work with a die grinder. Had to replace the chain and sprockets with a larger set as the 350 broke 108 links of the stock chain in a 1/4 mile run. It was fed with a 40mm Mikuni on a split intake using a reed valve. Bettencourt Machine Corp also ran a 3 cylinder Laverda 1000 to 3rd place at Daytona. Back then you could put plates on just about anything. A TZ 250 and HD 750 side valve come to mind.

deerSlayer: Nope. I was certain it was from the race bike! It was the two stroke. Bettencourt's
And they turned it into a cafe racer? Sacrilege!   O_o  To each their own I guess...

The only mods the previous owner (a friend) did was replace the battery with a capacitor (kick start only bike anyway), and install Jolly Moto exhaust.

Current owner (also a friend) is doing a complete rebuild, and installed modern wheels (17" front, and wider rear.)

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

deerSlayer, They put a headlight, license and tail lights on it to get plates on it.  I really wanted to take it out on a track. 

My CalSci windshield will get here next Monday. If it wasn't raining democrats and republicans here, I'd be out on a ride!  Because I'm tallish, 75", the stock windshield sends all matter of gunk right onto my faceshield.

• Premium Member
I'm still playing with the Ermax screen.  On low I still get a bit of noise although I suspect a tall rider would find it just right.  I think it might be best on high for me, maybe push the airstream over the helmet entirely.  I'll be trying that out on the way back from lunch.
And I did.  Medium position was pretty good up until supra-legal speeds, and not too bad even up there.  More rumbly than the helmet in clean air, but similar noise level.  For reference I'm 5'4" although with a L torso (just very short legs).  If I were just a little shorter I'd be entirely behind the windscreen. 
I couldn't try the high position because the Ermax interferes with the handguards in that position.  That's ok, I think that would be too close to my line of sight anyway.

I'm thinking I'll pick up a shorty screen for more airflow when it's hot.  Switching is certainly easy and they're not expensive.

I'm not convinced that the adjuster knobs for the screen are very well done.  They seem to come loose of their own accord, and it's not like I've done a lot of miles yet.  I might just replace them with regular bolts, I am not likely to do much messing with screen height after I'm dialed in anyway.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
I think Wessie recommended replacement with allen head bolts with nyloc nuts...
I did. It's still in situ on the one side. The OE one on the brake side is still present, but this has a plastic washer that was not on the other side. 
Other solutions include using blue loctite or adding a soft rubber or pvc crush washer which will absorb vibration and mean the knob is not abutted onto the hard plastic of the fascia. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I just came into work today running the new ERMAX high screen. Big improvement over the stock screen and no helmet wind force. Ran on screen adjustment middle (2). You can't use the very top of the screen adjustment as the hand guards will touch the side of the screen in the highest position. Could remove the hand guards to eliminate the problem and probably will once temps are a steady 70 degrees and above. Nice screen for a good price.
that screen looks nice.  I pick up the new bike on Saturday.  Then I get a chance to evaluate. 
I am pretty picky about screens myself.