FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

• Premium Member
ULEWZ, It does look a little wonky, but the comfort is undeniable.
Looks like mine, which is adequate. If only that height was available when I bought mine. I get nervous at higher speeds with my medium screen, so I can just imagine what the tall screen is like at speed.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

ULEWZ, It does look a little wonky, but the comfort is undeniable.
Looks like mine, which is adequate. If only that height was available when I bought mine. I get nervous at higher speeds with my medium screen, so I can just imagine what the tall screen is like at speed.  

The tall was fine at 90+ mph today. Its easy to go that fast ,but really shouldn't be hanging around there too often or I will loose my license...

I've decided the standard screen isn't for me...  I thought I could live with a little wind noise when it was set at it's lowest level, but while on a long ride on Sunday I stood up on the pegs to stretch my legs for a few seconds and the quietness was amazing.  Clearly the screen is pushing more noise into my helmet than I realised.

If I have it on the high setting I get too much buffeting and still a fair bit of noise.

I'm looking at this one Ermax Sport Screen (35cm)

030283125.jpeg

I think it will be low enough to get rid of the noise and I like the look of it.  Has anyone got any experience of this screen?

FYI, I'm 5'10".

I've decided the standard screen isn't for me...  I thought I could live with a little wind noise when it was set at it's lowest level, but while on a long ride on Sunday I stood up on the pegs to stretch my legs for a few seconds and the quietness was amazing.  Clearly the screen is pushing more noise into my helmet than I realised. 
If I have it on the high setting I get too much buffeting and still a fair bit of noise.

030283125.jpeg

I think it will be low enough to get rid of the noise and I like the look of it.  Has anyone got any experience of this screen?

FYI, I'm 5'10".

I don't own a FJ yet ... but have been through noisy screens and buffeting on several previous bikes. My current Triumph 1050 Tiger has been near impossible to get quiet. Best solution I found is what you're doing ... a very low sports screen. Not so great if you commute in very cold temps (I don't). Does look a bit ODD on my Tiger ... but your one looks great to me. Hope it's quiet enough. BTW, I went through 4 different systems on the Tiger trying to find something that would work. Nothing did expect a very low sports screen .... or running NO SHIELD at all ... which is quietest solution I found. Cheers!

030283125.jpeg

FYI, I'm 5'10".

I don't own a FJ yet ... but have been through noisy screens and buffeting on several previous bikes. My current Triumph 1050 Tiger has been near impossible to get quiet. Best solution I found is what you're doing ... a very low sports screen. Not so great if you commute in very cold temps (I don't). Does look a bit ODD on my Tiger ... but your one looks great to me. Hope it's quiet enough. BTW, I went through 4 different systems on the Tiger trying to find something that would work. Nothing did expect a very low sports screen .... or running NO SHIELD at all ... which is quietest solution I found. Cheers!

I may try running a "No shield" solution for a while and see how it goes...  I've spent the last 7 years riding a bike with no wind protection so it won't be a problem to me. 
I agree though this shield looks good!!

• Premium Member

030283125.jpeg

FYI, I'm 5'10".

I bought both the Ermax touring and sport screens.  I'm 5'4" with a 28" inseam, which puts my torso in the L to XL range.  Your helmet is probably a couple of inches higher than mine and I think that is enough to put you in the sweet spot for at least the sport screen. 
On low, the sport screen is the quietest of the two for me in most usage.  Despite the fact that the airstream is hitting me mid-shoulder, however, I still get some rumbles in the helmet.  If I were a couple of inches taller or the screen were a couple of inches lower the helmet would be in completely clear air, so I bet it would be perfect for you.  The only caveat I have with the sport screen is that despite being pretty quiet in normal conditions at a variety of speeds it was quite noisy with strong crosswinds whereas the touring screen wasn't.  I'm pretty sure if I get something like a laminar lip the sport screen would be pretty near perfect, and I'll try that sometime in the coming months.

The touring screen works best for me at the mid position.  It's not high enough to keep the airstream off the helmet (high position might be, but the cutouts for the handguards don't work if it's in high position so I won't use it) and can get pretty rumbly by 80mph but it's still a lot quieter than stock.  At backroads speeds it works pretty well, and in colder weather it's really nice to have the extra coverage.  I'm not sure if a taller rider would be able to adjust that screen to avoid the rumbles any more than I can.  I don't think I could use a laminar lip with the touring screen, it would be in my line of sight.

I can't help but recommend the Ermax screens.  They're inexpensive (so I bought both so I can switch them seasonally) and both are big upgrades from stock even if you're like me and cannot get completely clean air.

If there's any one thing to be aware of it's that the Ermax screens don't ship with mounting hardware and the Yamaha bolts are literally made of plastic.  I destroyed one despite being careful.  I sourced new stainless bolts from a local hardware store, plus grommets, for about $4.  If you do that before you destroy one of the bolts you'll probably be happier. :-)
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I actually have the "Short legs, long torso" issue as well, so it may bump my head up slightly higher. Seems like this one could be the screen for me... Pay day today as well!! Nice!! :)

And thanks for the bolts tip!!  Could come in handy!!

This is from my inquiry into MRA windshields for the 09. I had their screen on my Versys and the adj spoiler was the bomb!

Hello David,

Thanks for your Email. Unfortunately, we have no windshields for this bike
available and no plans for producing windshields for this bike. Sorry.

Best regards

Nicole Schmieder
- MRA-Team -

This is from my inquiry into MRA windshields for the 09. I had their screen on my Versys and the adj spoiler was the bomb! 

Hello David,

Thanks for your Email. Unfortunately, we have no windshields for this bike
available and no plans for producing windshields for this bike. Sorry.

Best regards

Nicole Schmieder
- MRA-Team -

This site
has double bubble MRA screens for MT-09 Tracer listed with pictures, but "currently not available". Maybe the MT-09 Tracer/FJ-09 dual name causes confusion.

• Premium Member
Maybe the MT-09 Tracer/FJ-09 dual name causes confusion.

It certainly does. Just had this with the UK franchisee for a US product being mentioned in another section of this forum. I'm now waiting for them to come back to me now they know the MT09 family has the same DNA as the FZ09 & FJ09 and can make enquiries with the parent company.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Just pulled the trigger on the Shorty CalSci. I'm 5'6" with a 30.5" inseam. I'll let you know how it works out. The turbulence on top of my helmet from any position on the OEM screen about drives me mad!
It may work very well for you. I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam, and would like my CalSci shorty to be about 1" lower to be in clean air. Seems like your torso is 1.5" shorter than mine so... let me know how it works out! 8-) (before I try cutting down my screen.) 
<edit> I got that bass ackwards! If your torso is shorter, you'll likely get more turbulence than I do.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
Is this part 2PP-F83J0-00-00 which is listed on the Yamaha Europe site as an accessory a new Yamaha High screen? I think it has changed and there is no longer mention of having to remove the hand guards. I seem to recall that the first (ugly) itineration was rather flat where this looks to have been curved? Or is it just my imagination?

Edited: Never mind, it is still the same thing.

Hi, im 5'11" and i would like a bigger windshield to protect a bit more from the wind at high speed. I was looking at the ermax touring... tell me if it's a good choice or you have any other recommendations.

thanks!!