FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

if its possible photos in the lowest position??thanks a lot
It should be just about 2 inches lower than top position... Will u really see difference ? I'd say probably feel it more than see it....my 2cents. 

mjsracing, this is excellent info, I'm about to get the large calsci screen too... do you look through the screen or over it? would you be able to post a pic of you or a similar sized rider on the bike, so we can see where your eye level is compared to the screen? :)

Hi all,

I am thinking of putting together an online tool that will map screen performance (wind, noise, quality) against torso height and riding style.  Essentially, the goal is to move from anecdotes to a consensus driven way to choose a screen.  Any thoughts on how this should work?

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Hi all, 

I am thinking of putting together an online tool that will map screen performance (wind, noise, quality) against torso height and riding style.  Essentially, the goal is to move from anecdotes to a consensus driven way to choose a screen.  Any thoughts on how this should work?
In theory this sounds like an excellent idea, since so many here - and if I may say, on many other biking Forums too - find stock screens unsatisfactory. But I'd submit, without wishing to sound dismissive, that there are so many variables that it may be like trying to herd a group of cats!
In addition to torso height and riding style you'd need to account for (among many other factors) details such as helmet type/ brand/ model: are earplugs being worn: does the rider have any hearing issues that might skew results: what is the typical riding environment: and so on and so on.   At the end of the day it may well end up still being very subjective, what with us all being different!   I'm lucky enough to live and ride in a very benign climate and personally find the stock screen, set on high, perfectly OK, but in the past have spent heaps on screens for other bikes in that elusive Holy Grail quest...
I could see this becoming a very interesting but pretty complex PhD project for someone with access to a wind-tunnel!
Nevertheless, it will be an interesting exercise for you - I look forward to the results...
L of S 

Hmm, we would need anyone with an aftermarket wind screen to post it's model and size, their height, how the noise level compares with the stock FJ-09 screen, if higher or lower position was better, air flow, quality of wind protection, etc.

Could also keep the info in an online spreadsheet with google docs or something similar, google docs is free - https://www.google.com/intl/en/sheets/about/

• Premium Member
No, @jordo27 I don't think anyone has tried the Givi screen yet - I didn't know it was in the wild yet, but had seen it on the catalogue. However, this Italian vendor who seems to get Givi stock before anyone else is now listing it as available for 91 Euros plus delivery (7.5 euros to UK)
Link - not sure if they ship to Aus. Seems good value for 70 quid, if it works. 

We just need a guinea pig to do a test for us...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Just got a new FJ-09 and tried the windscreen at its highest and lowest, but there was a lot of buffeting in both positions. I took off the screen and the noise is gone, and am now just looking for the smallest screen possible that is curved and makes the front look more like other sportbikes.  
I read this whole thread and the best looking ones to me are the CalSci dark shorty, but it requires taking off the hand guards which I want to keep for now, and I really like the look of this MRA screen but it isn't available yet - http://www.bs-motoparts.com/en/wind-protection/double-bubble-screen-mra-yamaha-mt-09-tracer-2015-clear-i674-56989-0.htm

Can anyone recommend the smallest screen possible that might offer minimal protection, but finishes off the front end with a nice curved sporty look?
Just noticed that that MRA "double bubble" screen is now in stock. Looks too low for touring with.

No, @jordo27 I don't think anyone has tried the Givi screen yet - I didn't know it was in the wild yet, but had seen it on the catalogue. However, this Italian vendor who seems to get Givi stock before anyone else is now listing it as available for 91 Euros plus delivery (7.5 euros to UK) Link - not sure if they ship to Aus. Seems good value for 70 quid, if it works. 

Hey Wessie, don't worry I will be following up this week with my motorcycle accessory superstore this week and let everyone know availability and any feedback they have had 

Hi Everyone, in looking at the Givi website they have a specific windscreen for the FJ09 (MT09 as it's known in Aust) part no: 2122DT. From the photos I think it looks good and would be quite effective Being tiered and wide at the bottom - http://www.givi.it/my-motorcycle#YAMAHA,MT-09_Tracer_(15
has as anyone used this screen? Any feedback?

Nice Find! I took some screen caps and enlarged them for all to see

givi1.jpg
givi2.jpg

I want that one! Another good day on the bike yesterday hampered by the noise and the wind blast. Happy to be the Givi-pig, not sure if it is available on that site that Wessie posted? My Italian is sketchy...

• Premium Member
I want that one! Another good day on the bike yesterday hampered by the noise and the wind blast. Happy to be the Givi-pig, not sure if it is available on that site that Wessie posted? My Italian is sketchy...
click the English flag icon at the top you numpty!  
emails are sent in a version of English as well
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
No, @jordo27 I don't think anyone has tried the Givi screen yet - I didn't know it was in the wild yet, but had seen it on the catalogue. However, this Italian vendor who seems to get Givi stock before anyone else is now listing it as available for 91 Euros plus delivery (7.5 euros to UK) Link - not sure if they ship to Aus. Seems good value for 70 quid, if it works. 

Couldn't find the English flag, but the Union Flag works just as well...

• Premium Member
johan's pedantry aside,

the Italian mob have the Givi S180T spoiler recommended in another thread, just to give another choice and add more uncertainty about what works - £20 cheaper than in the UK, even when taking the delivery charge into account
link here