State Inspection and Farkles

Heli ATP

• Supporting Member

I made what I feel are safety improvements to my 2019 Yamaha Niken. While I recently had it in for a fork oil service at a Yamaha dealership, I asked for them to do the state inspection. Unknown to me motorcycle inspections can only be done during certain months in Pennsylvania. 

'The state of Pennsylvania requires an annual inspection of all motorcycles between the months of May and October. From November to April, no motorcycles are inspected anywhere in the state.'

When I picked up the bike the counter clerk brought to my attention some notes the mechanic had added to my receipt.

It read....

Unit will not pass inspection for following reasons. 

Brake light does not stay solid.

Fog Lights do not have seperate switch.

Mirror Turn Signals are not DOT approved.

I purchased a brake light modulator from TST Industries which I feel adds a huge safety factor but on looking at their site I found a note that said may not be DOT approved. Luckily it is plug and play so it can be unplugged for the inspection.

https://tstindustries.com/tst-brake-light-modulator-yamaha-oem-tail-lights.html

The stock mirrors on the Niken with integrated turn signals were attractive but not as effective as handle bar mounted ones, so I added a high quality pair with integrated turn signals and day running lights to Yamaha mounts on the bars. Again 'Mirror Turn Signals are not DOT approved'.

https://kiwavmotors.com/en/parts/controls/mirrors/road-naked/two-tone-led-neat-stem-mirrors-lucifer-black-universal-fit-detail

When I removed the stock mirrors I put fog lights in their place and wired them to the open plug behind the headlight. 'Fog lights do not have seperate switch' says the note for that one. So I will just add a switch, and may even purchase a Denali fog light kit with a switch as my fogs are a cheap set I installed to be always on so as to be seen by other drivers. 

So it's disappointing to find that my safety improvements wont pass the test. Have others had similar experiences?

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

So it's disappointing to find that my safety improvements wont pass the test. Have others had similar experiences?

47 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

So glad I don't live in a nanny state, sorry you have to deal with crap like that. :( 

Same as @Ride365 - No vehicle safety inspection necessary in Washington.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Ride365 said:

So glad I don't live in a nanny state, sorry you have to deal with crap like that. :( 

If only we collectively as a society could find a sweet spot between "unleash all kinds of dangerous sh*t on the highway" and "the safety lights don't have a switch."

I understand incentives and what it would take for voters to work closely with their representatives to get smart legislation passed, but wouldn't it be nice?

• Thumbsup 5

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 1moreroad said:

If only we collectively as a society could find a sweet spot between "unleash all kinds of dangerous sh*t on the highway" and "the safety lights don't have a switch."

I think my experience will make me do a little research with future mods to be sure they are legal.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

I fitted the Euro blinkers to my 2019 Tracer 900 as soon as i purchased it, and have had no issues getting it inspected.  

This year, the local Yamaha dealer did not pass it as they were not the DOT blinkers.

I pointed out they were Yamaha blinkers - he stated he realized that, still no dice.

Took it to the local garage that does bike inspections, he checked everything worked, tire wear and brake pad wear - the important stuff.  And passed the bike.

Virginia USA ....

• Thumbsup 2

8 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

<><><>

Fog Lights do not have seperate switch.

Yea that is interesting.. Because I never had an issue with this with my bikes. So I took a look though the PA inspection code (https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Services/Motorcyclists/Pages/Motorcycle-Inspection-and-Equipment-Regulations.aspx)

Sub chapter H for the motorcycle code. There are some bullet items in there about fog lamps, but nothing about being on a separate switch, but that the fog lamps need to shut off if the high beams are used. I know this is true of even with cars

6) Check the lamps and lenses and REJECT IF one or more of the following apply:
blah
blah
blah
borning stuff
blah
(ix) The fog lamps operate with the high beams of headlamps.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Eventhorizon said:

Yea that is interesting.. Because I never had an issue with this with my bikes. So I took a look though the PA inspection code (https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Services/Motorcyclists/Pages/Motorcycle-Inspection-and-Equipment-Regulations.aspx)

(ix) The fog lamps operate with the high beams of headlamps.

I don't even have fog lights they are small spot lights. I will be taking it to a different station for the inspection, A non dealer probably won't notice my mirrors are not stock. Sometimes I think the dealers are looking for angles to make money.

I adjusted my rear brake light modulator to blink 6 times and then stay on solid, till the brakes are re-applied. I read where someone passed with it that way, before it was on a continuous blink.

Front View.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

That honestly seems to be about where we are with the annual safety inspection in Texas.    It has to be generally safe & sound (lights work, tires not bald) but otherwise doesn’t seem to be too invasive and over-regulated.   Of course that may be more a matter of relaxed enforcement versus the letter of the law.  

@Heli ATP - Do you know how rigorous & strict the enforcement is in Pennsylvania?   I’m wondering if it will pass if you show up in good faith, even if your blinkers technically aren’t DOT approved?  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, texscottyd said:

@Heli ATP - Do you know how rigorous & strict the enforcement is in Pennsylvania?   I’m wondering if it will pass if you show up in good faith, even if your blinkers technically aren’t DOT approved?  

I purchased the 2019 Niken in March of 2022, and was of the mindset that it was inspected by the dealer who sold it to me when he registered it with zero miles on the clock. I didn't take it to be inspected till a couple of weeks ago when I found out it can only be inspecter from May to October in PA. I have been driving around with the blinking brake light (and no inspection) for over a year and haven't been stopped yet. I will see what happens next month when I go for inspection, somewhere other than a Yamaha dealer.

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Interesting aspect regarding the fog lights cannot remain on while high beams are on. When I took my bike in for inspection last year I  remember leaving the fog lights off prior to starting inspection. It passed with no issues. 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

This talk of safety inspections reminded me that, in 1964, even my little Sears (Piaggio) scooter had to pass an annual inspection. Brakes, horn, lights, etc. 1964 Texas.  Didn’t have to wear a helmet, though.

To test the brakes the tech observed me ride the scoot in the lot and do a lockup stop. 1964. 

• Premium Member

KK

You really are old.

Everybody talks about the land of the free and not Be required to wear a Helmet.

And this thread is about bike inspections.

I'd never much thought of such things, Except for. German TUV idiocy.

Based on what you probably hear about Illinois and Chicago in particular you may think that we live in a police state.

That there would be cameras everywhere like in London and the Vehicle inspection requirements would be draconian.

However, I've lived here for the last 40 some plus years and there's no inspections whatsoever including emissions for bikes and we can wear or not wear helmet.

That's the only positive about living here really ha ha ha ha

• Thumbsup 1

Any years ago we moved to Georgia.  Had to get my Fiat 850 inspected.  The blinker stalk had broken off recently and I had not had time to get it replaced (had a spare from parts car).  Took a Radio Shack three position switch and wired it to the blinkers and it passed!