Tracer 9 GT New Recalls - July 2023 - Oxygen Sensor corrosion & ECU Reflash

• Supporting Member

Rode to the dealer this morning to have the tech look at the bike to see what was going on. He plugged in my ECU to have a look, and his explanation makes sense and I'm sorted out now.

According to the tech:

When a dealer flashes the ECU with an Yamaha updated map it replaces the old fuel map. Which I think we all know and makes sense. However, what I didn't consider and what was explained to me is that it also resets any adaptations/learning the ECU has done through the narrow band O2 sensor.

In my case I have a full Akrapovic system, so by doing the Yamaha recall I got flashed a fuel map which is designed for stock exhaust, and then had any prior ECU fueling adaptations/learning wiped. So my bike obviously ran like crap compared to someone with a stock exhaust who would have a proper base fuel map to start with after the recall ECU flash.

According to the tech the solution is to let the bike heat cycle at various ambient temperatures so the ECU can build a proper fuel map off of the O2 sensor, then turn it off. He also stated to tell everyone I know as he believes this is applicable to not only Yamaha, but any Euro 5 bike and newer.

Sure enough, we let the bike idle until the fans started spinning then waited another minute and turned off the bike. We talked some more and had me sign the recall paperwork. He advised to do another heat cycle either at night or in the morning so the ECU can learn some more when the ambient temp is cooler and drier; combined with some more variable riding ECU should figure it out, verbatim he said "just play with it". When I rode home the idle seemed proper with no hesitation on launch and the deceleration hiccups are mostly gone. Completely different bike than what I rode an hour earlier to the shop.

Of course he also stated an ECU tune specifically for the exhaust is the end goal and the best solution; I gotta find some downtime and send mine off to Vcyclenut.

Funnily enough, the tech also brought up the undesirable clutch behavior that has been mentioned by a few in this forum. He says he's found that the 2021+ CP3 bikes should ignore the manual spec for measuring at the lever end with 5mm-10mm of free-play. He stated to measure at the clutch perch for free-play of 3mm, or two sandwiched US pennies. We made this adjustment at the shop and it definitely feels better to me.

• Thumbsup 7
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 7:20 PM, Smokamoto said:

Heard nothing about these in Kalifornia after having my ‘21 reflashed & new throttle tube last year.
Gawd I really dislike speedmonkey techs working on my bikes (I’m an ex-motorbike wrench & know what goes on, plus recent mistakes found). Oh well gotta do it if it comes here.

here in bay area, i got both recalls on my 22

On 9/30/2023 at 3:02 PM, jthayer09 said:

When a dealer flashes the ECU with an Yamaha updated map it replaces the old fuel map. Which I think we all know and makes sense. However, what I didn't consider and what was explained to me is that it also resets any adaptations/learning the ECU has done through the narrow band O2 sensor.

In my case I have a full Akrapovic system, so by doing the Yamaha recall I got flashed a fuel map which is designed for stock exhaust, and then had any prior ECU fueling adaptations/learning wiped. So my bike obviously ran like crap compared to someone with a stock exhaust who would have a proper base fuel map to start with after the recall ECU flash.

According to the tech the solution is to let the bike heat cycle at various ambient temperatures so the ECU can build a proper fuel map off of the O2 sensor, then turn it off. He also stated to tell everyone I know as he believes this is applicable to not only Yamaha, but any Euro 5 bike and newer.

Sure enough, we let the bike idle until the fans started spinning then waited another minute and turned off the bike. We talked some more and had me sign the recall paperwork. He advised to do another heat cycle either at night or in the morning so the ECU can learn some more when the ambient temp is cooler and drier; combined with some more variable riding ECU should figure it out, verbatim he said "just play with it". When I rode home the idle seemed proper with no hesitation on launch and the deceleration hiccups are mostly gone. Completely different bike than what I rode an hour earlier to the shop.

This sounds like my 2013 Subaru.. If I have to remove the battery for what ever reason next time I go to start it up, it will run like crap for a couple of days, hundred miles, before it figures out and re learns everything. Its a manual and a couple of times when slowing down for a stop light and put it in neutral the engine will just straight up die, not even fight it. I know its getting better when it fights it, and eventually wins 🙂

• Thumbsup 1

On 9/23/2023 at 7:37 PM, slownsteady said:

Funny I was so excited to get my "new" 2022 Tracer GT a month ago only to find out there are TWO recalls that need to be done. Why didn't the dealer handle these recalls prior to the sale? Or disclose them?

They potentially DID handle them before the sale of the mcy, but often sales sans finanace people are forgetful of these details. 
call them and ask. 
-Skip

On 9/11/2023 at 8:03 AM, rlambke19 said:

Thanks Skip

I wondered about that as the sensor at the exhaust looks the same for those who have had the work done and those who haven't.

Makes sense...thanks for the clarity!

You’re welcome. Sorry for the delay in replying. 
-S

1 hour ago, robzilla said:

Thanks for sharing your photos! Looks like a relatively easy DIY fix of electrical tape to ensure no corrosion or water ingress. 

I'd add some dielectric grease in there as well. 

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, Ride365 said:

I'd add some dielectric grease in there as well. 

I wouldn’t fill the connector, no. That will cause more harm than do good. Remember that any moisture needs to exit the lower connector, otherwise Yamaha would have enclosed the entire thing. 
if anything, some Wurth electrical contact protectant or something called Deoxit sprayed on the terminal connectors and call it done. 
-S

• Thumbsup 1

On 10/6/2023 at 6:20 AM, skipperT said:

They potentially DID handle them before the sale of the mcy, but often sales sans finanace people are forgetful of these details. 
call them and ask. 
-Skip

Thanks but neither were done. Purchased from a Yamaha dealer in Northern California. Disappointing to say the least

• Sad 1

My Tracer 9 GT has been at the dealer for 3 weeks. They told me the ECU failed and the have ordered a new one.

Anyone else have this happen? My Tracer was running fine, confused how the ECU could fail.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, lather said:

My Tracer 9 GT has been at the dealer for 3 weeks. They told me the ECU failed and the have ordered a new one.

Anyone else have this happen? My Tracer was running fine, confused how the ECU could fail.

I'm guessing something funky happened when they were updating it.

Does sound odd though.

Hopefully you get it back soon!

1 hour ago, lather said:

Disconnection while flashing could do it.

• Thumbsup 1

10 hours ago, lather said:

Oh that really bites, could be a coincidence-hopefully-but they’ll fix it that’s the good part. It’s just too bad for the delay.

I need to make an appointment for my latest recalls, pray they go smoothly. Think I’ll remove the bodywork to expose the O2 sensor connector for the Tech, as a former tech I wish they would just let me do it. Gotta use them for the reflash tho…

• Thumbsup 2