Tracer 9 GT New Recalls - July 2023 - Oxygen Sensor corrosion & ECU Reflash

According to my dealer, there is a stop sell order on the new Tracers in the US due to a pending recall.  The US gov't has not yet issued a recall so things are in limbo in the US.  He also said that Canada is ahead of the curve asthe new recall has been issued there.

• 1 month later...

I received my safety recall letter yesterday-- letter only specifies the ECU reflash. Wonder if other US owners are getting these now and doing the recall? 

I'm not sure I'll take mine in since I had my ECU flashed for performance enhancements. I can always get my ECU reflashed by Vcyclenut but seems more hassle and time to just satisfy the recall.

I got both recall letters yesterday.  Of course, I just had my bike in for service last month and asked about the recall but just got quizzical looks and a shrug. Cmon, you can’t keep up with your own product?   I’m sure it’s because they are waiting for the official word from Yamaha, so that they get paid.

• Sad 2

Got my two recall letters also, this makes 4 recalls…I had mentioned to the service manager at my dealer about losing engine braking in lower gears after the first reflash and I got the “never heard of that” answer. Well here it is now how about that? And I know, can’t fix anything until the letter(s) come out lol.

• Sad 1

On 9/2/2023 at 11:34 AM, robzilla said:

I received my safety recall letter yesterday-- letter only specifies the ECU reflash. Wonder if other US owners are getting these now and doing the recall? 

I'm not sure I'll take mine in since I had my ECU flashed for performance enhancements. I can always get my ECU reflashed by Vcyclenut but seems more hassle and time to just satisfy the recall.

Unless you're worried about warranty, I would leave the Vcyclenut flash in place and ignore the recall.

• Thumbsup 1

On 9/3/2023 at 11:52 AM, Korak said:

I got both recall letters yesterday.  Of course, I just had my bike in for service last month and asked about the recall but just got quizzical looks and a shrug. Cmon, you can’t keep up with your own product?   I’m sure it’s because they are waiting for the official word from Yamaha, so that they get paid.

To be fair, my dealer here in Canada often only finds out when the public do...for both new product launches and updates like this. Often times, I am telling him stuff he has only just found out about himself or hasn't heard yet!

That's a Yamaha Corporate thing.

On 9/3/2023 at 12:12 PM, Smokamoto said:

Got my two recall letters also, this makes 4 recalls…I had mentioned to the service manager at my dealer about losing engine braking in lower gears after the first reflash and I got the “never heard of that” answer. Well here it is now how about that? And I know, can’t fix anything until the letter(s) come out lol.

After getting the latest reflash, I would say that the engine braking is back!

• Thumbsup 1

9 hours ago, rlambke19 said:

TBH, I didn't ask - assumed that there was no corrosion found. Looks the same to me. 

If corrosion is found during the inspection, then a new wiring harness has to be approved by Yamaha and ordered for each bike. 

Almost all bikes will probably just get the cover and some tape. wiring harness replacements will be rare. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

7 hours ago, skipperT said:

If corrosion is found during the inspection, then a new wiring harness has to be approved by Yamaha and ordered for each bike. 

Almost all bikes will probably just get the cover and some tape. wiring harness replacements will be rare. 

-Skip

Agreed.

Although, there were enough complaints/reports of it that it justified a recall/service bulletin.

Personally, I appreciate that Yamaha recognizes and remediates issues. Some see it as a lack of quality,, but let's be real - every vehicle manufacturer has issues - some (like VW) like to hide them for as long as possible and let their customers foot the bill. 

Picking up my new 2022 Tracer 9 GT next week, what are the 4 recall numbers mentioned above? Want to verify they're all addressed before taking ownership

NVM, did a recall lookup by VIN here: Yamaha Dealer recalls

Looks like there are 2 not completed for the bike:

M2023-006R    ECU Programming Error

M2023-007R    O2 Sensor Connector Corrosion

Edited by DHDad

3 hours ago, DHDad said:

Picking up my new 2022 Tracer 9 GT next week, what are the 4 recall numbers mentioned above? Want to verify they're all addressed before taking ownership

NVM, did a recall lookup by VIN here: Yamaha Dealer recalls

Looks like there are 2 not completed for the bike:

M2023-006R    ECU Programming Error

M2023-007R    O2 Sensor Connector Corrosion

There’s only 2: the 3rd doesn’t apply anymore because it’s addressed by the newest flash file. The 4th (throttle tube inspect/replace) only applies to 21 models. 

Any dealership that sells a bike with an open recall is in breach of contract with Yamaha, so there’s a good chance it’ll be taken care of… problems usually arise because people in sales and finance are idiots whereas most people in service have a small clue as to what recalls are floating out there…

-S

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 1