Tracer 9 GT New Recalls - July 2023 - Oxygen Sensor corrosion & ECU Reflash

On 9/6/2023 at 5:01 PM, skipperT said:

There’s only 2: the 3rd doesn’t apply anymore because it’s addressed by the newest flash file. The 4th (throttle tube inspect/replace) only applies to 21 models. 

Any dealership that sells a bike with an open recall is in breach of contract with Yamaha, so there’s a good chance it’ll be taken care of… problems usually arise because people in sales and finance are idiots whereas most people in service have a small clue as to what recalls are floating out there…

-S

On the O2 sensor recall how do I visually confirm this has been done? I found the full write up of M2023-007R and it states: 

"
Yamaha will notify owners by mail and instruct you to take your motorcycle to a dealer to have the oxygen sensor coupler terminals inspected and if any terminals are found corroded, the oxygen sensor and main wire harness assembly will be replaced with a main wire harness assembly of a different design; if the terminals are not found corroded, a CONNECTOR COVER will be installed over the existing oxygen sensor coupler"

Since this is a new bike there's not going to be any corrosion so where do I look for this cover? Can't find any pics of this related to the recall. I assume it's somewhere down here:Yamaha_Tracer9GT-PIR-Statics-JosephAgust

46 minutes ago, DHDad said:

On the O2 sensor recall how do I visually confirm this has been done? I found the full write up of M2023-007R and it states: 

"
Yamaha will notify owners by mail and instruct you to take your motorcycle to a dealer to have the oxygen sensor coupler terminals inspected and if any terminals are found corroded, the oxygen sensor and main wire harness assembly will be replaced with a main wire harness assembly of a different design; if the terminals are not found corroded, a CONNECTOR COVER will be installed over the existing oxygen sensor coupler"

Since this is a new bike there's not going to be any corrosion so where do I look for this cover? Can't find any pics of this related to the recall. I assume it's somewhere down here:Yamaha_Tracer9GT-PIR-Statics-JosephAgust

Can you send a pic of the O2 sensor on the other side of the bike? I have had the work done and will confirm if it looks likes mine.

Thanks for sharing the photo of the work done. Given that it appears to be just a rubber cover, I'll just use some electrical tape to remedy this.

My ECU was flashed for performance enhancements before the recalls and I don't want to lose any ride time. Plus it seems more hassle and work just to take it in for the ECU and O2 sensor recalls. 

Ok, for the record all of those pics are wrong. 

The recall installs a black plastic cover on the Oxygen sensor plug - but at the wiring harness side, which is then wrapped up and blended into the harness with tape. The cover prevents tons of water from running INTO the connector and then causing corrosion. It’s only protected at the top because the lower part of the connector (sensor side) still needs to be open to allow moisture to run out if it gets in.  

The connector is located under the fairing panel. Follow the sensor lead up under the panel and then you would find it.
I’ll try to get a photo tomorrow. 

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 3

5 minutes ago, skipperT said:

Ok, for the record all of those pics are wrong. 

The recall installs a black plastic cover on the Oxygen sensor plug - but at the wiring harness side, which is then wrapped up and blended into the harness with tape. The cover prevents tons of water from running INTO the connector and then causing corrosion. It’s only protected at the top because the lower part of the connector (sensor side) still needs to be open to allow moisture to run out if it gets in.  

The connector is located under the fairing panel. Follow the sensor lead up under the panel and then you would find it.
I’ll try to get a photo tomorrow. 

-Skip

Thanks Skip

I wondered about that as the sensor at the exhaust looks the same for those who have had the work done and those who haven't.

Makes sense...thanks for the clarity!

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had both recalls done yesterday Malcolm Smith in Riverside CA. I’ve put about a hundred miles on the bike since then, and must say I like the new firmware. The bike seems to run better in most every way. No more irritating surge during decel. And it has also gotten rid of the exhaust pop I was getting between some shifts. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, KrustyKush said:

I had both recalls done yesterday Malcolm Smith in Riverside CA. I’ve put about a hundred miles on the bike since then, and must say I like the new firmware. The bike seems to run better in most every way. No more irritating surge during decel. And it has also gotten rid of the exhaust pop I was getting between some shifts. 

I'm glad that you mentioned after the flash your bike rides better because I thought I was going crazy. I got mine back this past week and have put roughly 150mi on it and it rides worse. Noticeable surge on decel, and I had one startup where the engine stalled when I opened the throttle to start moving... which is what this current recall is supposed to fix.

It's so bad that I'm sure the dealer flashed the wrong file into my ECU, definitely taking it back.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, jthayer09 said:

I'm glad that you mentioned after the flash your bike rides better because I thought I was going crazy. I got mine back this past week and have put roughly 150mi on it and it rides worse. Noticeable surge on decel, and I had one startup where the engine stalled when I opened the throttle to start moving... which is what this current recall is supposed to fix.

It's so bad that I'm sure the dealer flashed the wrong file into my ECU, definitely taking it back.

Yes, take it back.  I had both recall fixes and the bike runs great.  I did have to get used to the lurching when you hit the clutch friction zone but after a few times you get the hang of it and it's smooth as silk.