parablob

[span]I just returned from a trip from Florida to the NC mountains and back. After all of those miles, the only thing I can complain about is the stock seat. Then again, I've complained about and replaced almost every seat on every motorcycle I've ever owned[/span].
I just got back from a 5,000 km ride. My only complaint is still that the compression damping is too firm, and not adjustable. But I knew that before I bought the bike, and I'll decide in a year or two if I'll upgrade the suspension. Meanwhile, I may change the fork oil to lighter weight - only need to change 1 leg! 
For me the low RPM throttle response is only noticeable when the engine is cold. But I'm comming off a 2009 Triumph Street Triple, which is definitely not perfect at low RPM.

I'm quite happy with my Seat Concepts upgrade, for me it was money well spent. On Tuesday I rode 880 km, all back roads except 30 km, over a 14 hour day with 2 meal breaks. Seat was fine.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

To be fair Cruizin and builderbob, calling someone a troll for voicing disappointment with the same shortcomings that have been voiced elsewhere on the site is a little harsh.  
To be fair parablob, I agree with a lot of what Cruizin said about going to a fan site and complaining.  You should expect some backlash.  That's typical internet behavior.  I agree there are short comings with the FJ-09 and you listed some of them, but I still love my bike.  I think you can work through the throttle response with some help from nels.  I know it sucks you have to do that.  If you don't live close, you have to take the bike apart yourself, mail it in which means you are without your bike for a few days or even a week and it costs money.  All that sucks, but in the end, it sounds like something that will fix most of your issues with the bike and that's a small price to pay for a first gen, first year bike to get the way you want it.

Just to be clear, I didn't call anyone a troll. I think that's a strong word, but it is heavily used on most internet forums. I certainly do not think the OP is a troll, and I wish that the bike was perfect for him, but then again Iv'e never owned a bike that was perfect out of the box.
I apologize if I wasn't clear. I never intended to make it sound like you called him a troll. Again, I'm sorry. You were posting about a reaction to someone assuming he was called a troll and how the mods should respond. Builderbob has already apologized. I'm stepping back and moving on. This whole issue is resolved in my mind. Again, I apologize to all for any misunderstanding on my part.

Just to be clear, I didn't call anyone a troll. I think that's a strong word, but it is heavily used on most internet forums. I certainly do not think the OP is a troll, and I wish that the bike was perfect for him, but then again Iv'e never owned a bike that was perfect out of the box.
I apologize if I wasn't clear. I never intended to make it sound like you called him a troll. Again, I'm sorry. You were posting about a reaction to someone assuming he was called a troll and how the mods should respond. Builderbob has already apologized. I'm stepping back and moving on. This whole issue is resolved in my mind. Again, I apologize to all for any misunderstanding on my part.

It's all good man.

Hi all been joined this forum  a few  weeks ago,  informative !  Been looking forward  to  getting  a new gray tracer for a while as my z1000sx  was due to be changed ,so read up on it took a test ride  and sorry that's where  I should have said no but I was blinded by the hype and a reasonable  test ride,but I noticed the problem  then  but was advisd it Will  improve , I am so disappointed with this bike I am contemplating  changing  it,the z1000sx is head and shoulders above this bike when it comes to the quality of the throttle  responds and Delivery of low speed power,the tracer is poor at low speed  chugging along. how Yamaha  allowed this to be put in to production is beyond  belief  no improvement with service or time  hate riding it in towns  and in traffic, other aspects of this bike are great I love the looks,the gadgets. and the quality of parts are good even the ride is fine but all that is worthless with the way the bikes fueling comes in at part throttle or just off cam, sorry for the downer but I am soooooo  disappointed 

Sometimes I think i'm the only one who thinks the stock throttle response is just fine. Soft in B mode for rain, abrupt in A mode for when you want all the pow NOW, and perfect medium in STD, which is what I use 99% of the time.

I think it has a lot to do with what you're used to. For instance, if you're coming off a slow revving V twin cruiser, whoa nelly! But if you're coming from a GSXR or R1 for example... meh?

For me coming off a Bandit 1200, the throttle response feels pretty much the same... Perhaps when and if cruise control is offered in a ECU update, i'll get mine flashed. But for now, i'm happy with my FJ motor. wub.png

YMMV

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member

[span]I just returned from a trip from Florida to the NC mountains and back. After all of those miles, the only thing I can complain about is the stock seat. Then again, I've complained about and replaced almost every seat on every motorcycle I've ever owned[/span].
I just got back from a 5,000 km ride. My only complaint is still that the compression damping is too firm, and not adjustable. But I knew that before I bought the bike, and I'll decide in a year or two if I'll upgrade the suspension. Meanwhile, I may change the fork oil to lighter weight - only need to change 1 leg! 
For me the low RPM throttle response is only noticeable when the engine is cold. But I'm comming off a 2009 Triumph Street Triple, which is definitely not perfect at low RPM.

I'm quite happy with my Seat Concepts upgrade, for me it was money well spent. On Tuesday I rode 880 km, all back rodes except 30 km, over a 14 hour day with 2 meal breaks. Seat was fine.
I might have to give Seat Concepts a shot.  I had one on my K L R and there's one on my KTM now.  I've had better luck with Sargent, but they don't have a seat for our bikes yet. Yes, I'll agree that the fork compression dampening is a bit harsh.  Somewhere in my upgrade plans they're going to David at Fast Bike Industries for a re-do.  It will have to wait though; cruise control is next.

• Premium Member
I just did the Seat Concepts upgrade last week.  I've not been able to ride it much since, but enough to have a general idea of the change in feel.

The front of the seat is much more rounded, more comfortable.  No edges on my thighs anymore.  That's good.

Where the seat transitions to flat, though, I get an edge right at the edges of my butt cheeks.  I'm not sure if that's something I'll get used to or not, maybe it's just that the seat feels different, but I noticed that right away.

I went with all carbon because I wanted it to be slippery to aid in transitions between feet at a stop.  It's definitely more slippery :-).  It's been awhile since I rode a bike without a somewhat tacky seat and I forgot what it's like to slide back under acceleration.

Better than stock?  Yea, I think so, especially in terms of the firmer foam.  But I might have to go in there again and round off those edges.  We'll see as I get more seat time.

Congratulations on the trip, deerSlayer.  I'm jealous.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
I think it has a lot to do with what you're used to. For instance, if you're coming off a slow revving V twin cruiser, whoa nelly! But if you're coming from a GSXR or R1 for example... meh?

I've owned and ridden mostly I-4 sportbikes and sport-touring machines over the last 26 years and it's not the power delivery that bothers me. What I don't like is that in A or STD mode I find it very difficult to smoothly transition between off and part throttle, a very common action while riding around town and in traffic. Any vehicle should give a smooth transition there.

That said, it could be that some FJs are worse than others. I need to check for free play in my throttle. My wife's Mitsubishi Lancer used to develop the same problem as the throttle cable stretched, but it was easily remedied with a quick adjustment.

• Premium Member
I would recommend that a first post for anybody include a little about yourself, your riding style/area, and riding history, etc. Then, in the second post, blast away. It does always seem speciousness when a first post is nothing but a negative review. JMO
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
I've owned and ridden mostly I-4 sportbikes and sport-touring machines over the last 26 years and it's not the power delivery that bothers me. What I don't like is that in A or STD mode I find it very difficult to smoothly transition between off and part throttle, a very common action while riding around town and in traffic. Any vehicle should give a smooth transition there. 
That said, it could be that some FJs are worse than others. I need to check for free play in my throttle. My wife's Mitsubishi Lancer used to develop the same problem as the throttle cable stretched, but it was easily remedied with a quick adjustment.
I just got my ECU flashed by Nels and I must say, all of those poor throttling characteristics are now GONE. I've also taken out the throttle free play as detailed in the YouTube video. It's an amazing transformation, really. It now throttles from idle to redline like a rheostat! I ride a lot in the NC mountains and throttling smoothly out of a tight turn took some practice, and I'd gotten good at it. But now....it's a none issue. 
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Archived