How do you answer, "What do you ride?"

• Premium Member
I'm trying to figure out an answer to the question I've gotten a number of times - "What do you ride?"

The FJ-09 is my first motorcycle and I'm completely new to the "motorcycle world" so to speak.  It seems like when I try to explain what I've got all I get is a blank stare.  It usually goes like this...

Them: "What kind of bike do you ride?"
Me: "I have a Yamaha, FJ-09.  They call it a sport touring bike..."
<commence blank stare>
Me: "Like a cross between a sport bike and a touring bike..."
<continue stare>

I don't know if it's because of the proliferation of Harley's and/or "crotch rockets" (mainly Harley's where I live), but I get the impression that they get lost when I don't say, "I have a Harley" or "I have <insert super fast crotch rocket brand>".

So, I'm curious, do any of you get a similar response?  And, how do you answer when someone asks what kind of bike you have or what you ride?

• Premium Member
I'm trying to figure out an answer to the question I've gotten a number of times - "What do you ride?" 
The FJ-09 is my first motorcycle and I'm completely new to the "motorcycle world" so to speak.  It seems like when I try to explain what I've got all I get is a blank stare.  It usually goes like this...

<commence blank stare>
<continue stare>

I don't know if it's because of the proliferation of Harley's and/or "crotch rockets" (mainly Harley's where I live), but I get the impression that they get lost when I don't say, "I have a Harley" or "I have <insert super fast crotch rocket brand>".

So, I'm curious, do any of you get a similar response?  And, how do you answer when someone asks what kind of bike you have or what you ride?
I usually just get, "nice bike". I nod and say ya, I love it.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Them: "What kind of bike do you ride?" Me: "I have a Yamaha, FJ-09.  They call it a sport touring bike..."
<commence blank stare>
<continue stare>

Yea I get this very conversation a lot. Most people that ask have ZERO clue about motorcycles or our hobby, they're just being polite acknowledging our rides and then having no idea what we say, like we're speaking in tongues when we answer.  :P 
Around here it's the same mentality; A motorcycle is either a Harley or a "Crotch Rocket" (And BTW I completely effing DESPISE that term). Any metric cruiser, regardless of brand, is a Harley to the uneducated; Anything not a cruiser is a crotch rocket. The only exception was my KLR, it really messed with their heads when they attempted but failed to categorize it as one of the two. "Is that thing like a big dirt bike or sumpin'?"  :D Derp!
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

I don't know if it's because of the proliferation of Harley's and/or "crotch rockets" (mainly Harley's where I live), but I get the impression that they get lost when I don't say, "I have a Harley" or "I have ".

Here in NC if it isn't a 'real' Harley-Davidson, and its Japanese, its just a " Rice Burner." Personally f..ing hate that term. Why has it proliferated sooo long? 
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

<commence blank stare>
<continue stare>

I usually just get, "nice bike". I nod and say ya, I love it.
Lol, I get the same!

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
I mean, yah, it's kind of an adventure bike, minus the off-road capability. May be hard for folks to understand the point of this unless they've ridden a variety of bikes and seen the string and weak points of each.

• Premium Member
Cruisers are less common in Europe, making only a small proportion of bike sales. Large adventure bikes are the biggest sellers in the >1000cc category with the R1200GS way ahead in sales. Sports tourers have also sold well with bikes like the Triumph Sprint, Yamaha's TDM & Fazer series, the faired Suzuki SV650 & Bandits, various incarnations of the BMW RS series and many others.

Most motorcycle riders know about the MT09 (FZ09) as it has a lot of positive publicity in the press and they usually know there is a touring model too.

Non riders still gawp when you describe the bike. Like in the US, they hold onto the Easy Rider biker stereotype that was popular in the 1960s & 70s or know about Barry Sheene & Dr Rossi.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Cruisers are less common in Europe, making only a small proportion of bike sales. Large adventure bikes are the biggest sellers in the >1000cc category with the R1200GS way ahead in sales. Sports tourers have also sold well with bikes like the Triumph Sprint, Yamaha's TDM & Fazer series, the faired Suzuki SV650 & Bandits, various incarnations of the BMW RS series and many others.  
Most motorcycle riders know about the MT09 (FZ09) as it has a lot of positive publicity in the press and they usually know there is a touring model too.

Non riders still gawp when you describe the bike. Like in the US, they hold onto the Easy Rider biker stereotype that was popular in the 1960s & 70s or know about Barry Sheene & Dr Rossi.
I like to think of it as a Super Motard Touring Bike. The next closest model is the Ducati Hyperstrada, in terms of looks, ergonomics, etc. No one here in my corner of the US has heard of Barry Sheene and MotoGP doesn't compete well with NASCAR. Super Motard is also a foreign term here, with little comprehension of its meaning. 
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

I like to think of it as a Super Motard Touring Bike. The next closest model is the Ducati Hyperstrada, in terms of looks, ergonomics, etc. No one here in my corner of the US has heard of Barry Sheene and MotoGP doesn't compete well with NASCAR. Super Motard is also a foreign term here, with little comprehension of its meaning.
US dictionary:   
Motorcycle
[moh-ter-sahy-kuh l]

noun
1. Please see Harley Davidson

It's quite easy to see now why no one knows what this is.  We must come up with another word or abolish it.  But most importantly, it is unknown and therefore feared.

This question kills me. I'm immediately paralyzed by wondering how much they know about bikes, and whether they want actual information or just want me to say "a red one" or something. I usually say the actual model then dumb it down if I get blank stares.
//QED

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
This is your first bike?? Good for you. If this was my first bike I think I would be road kill by now. I would consider the FJ as a sport touring motorcycle. Be safe learning the ropes on this machine
Thanks @josh.  Ya, it's my first bike.  I know I didn't follow convention as most people say get a 250 or whatever for your first bike.  But, I figured, if I was careful, I would be fine.  So far, knock on wood, I have been.  I just didn't want to have to replace the bike in a year or two because I had out grown in. 

• Premium Member
This is your first bike?? Good for you. If this was my first bike I think I would be road kill by now. I would consider the FJ as a sport touring motorcycle. Be safe learning the ropes on this machine
Thanks @josh.  Ya, it's my first bike.  I know I didn't follow convention as most people say get a 250 or whatever for your first bike.  But, I figured, if I was careful, I would be fine.  So far, knock on wood, I have been.  I just didn't want to have to replace the bike in a year or two because I had out grown in.
I wouldn't have recommended the FJ as a first bike either, but at least it's not a straight sportbike.  There's enough torque to be easy to ride it at low RPMs and in STD mode you have to give it a pretty good twist to get it out of control.  Plus traction control and ABS.  This is a bike I could really see a responsible new rider being able to handle reasonably well, with enough safety electronics to help out if things go a little bit sideways. 
The thing that always scares me are the guys who go out and get a Gixxer as a first bike.  Sharp throttle response, sharp handling, and until recently little to no safety net electronics?  That was a recipe for destruction, and there certainly was a lot of that.

I think the funny thing is that in a few years you might be wanting that 250.  Those little bikes are a riot, immense fun to throw around.  I plan to get one for my daughter in a year or two.  And then, you know, borrow it. :-)

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Archived