What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
I could care less when it comes to having to scroll through my menu to turn on the OEM grip heaters, versus pressing a button on my bars. This is just as easy, if not easier since there are no menus to scroll through, just a simple button to press.
The Oxford controls are slightly easier to use, but the difference is minimal. With the Yamaha grips you tap the menu button once to switch to grip heat control, then the menu cursor buttons are used to raise and lower the heat.

The Yamaha system allows only three heat levels, versus five for the Oxfords. I'd give the Oxfords the tip of the hat for that, although the Yamaha system allows you to customize each of the levels to your own preference which is nice in its own way.

If the Yamaha stuff has any real advantage I'd say that it is a cleaner looking installation. The throttle side wiring is encased inside a housing along with the throttle cables, and the clutch side doesn't have to have an extra controller stuck to the bars. In my book that's awfully slim differentiation for triple the cost. Unless the Oxford grip material is so soft that it wears out three times as quickly (not likely) it's hard to argue that they aren't a much (much!) better deal.

Not to mention saving $200 and having them now, instead of 6 months from now.
Now this is unvarnished truth.

I went OEM because I had the money and wanted to go with as much "stock" equipment as I could, but at the time I had no idea that the Yamaha grips were so much more expensive nor that it would take half a year to get them.  I was very close to canceling the order and going for the Oxfords just on account of the delivery delay.

Now let's both pray for a nice warm fall so we don't have to use them, right? :-)

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
031dd31f0272bf942031c2e48cf8b891.jpg 

Added a Madstad windscreen and a Corbin seat. Bike is way more comfortable now and no wind noise.
I've always liked Madstad windshields and have had them on a couple of past bikes, but I worried that the FJ's handguards might hit it at full lock.  Do they? 

I had to borrow the work van this weekend so I just got back from grabbing the bike from the shop. I wanted to try riding around with TCS off, switched it to A and headed back from SF. There's some nice open road a couple miles from home so I figured... why not see how easy it is to get the front wheel up? With TCS on you really have to give it the beans to power hop.

I rode away from the light, had it at 5000rpm in first, gave it a quick 1/3 throttle twist and instant 10 oclock wheelie

Hehehehehehee

• Premium Member
031dd31f0272bf942031c2e48cf8b891.jpg 

Added a Madstad windscreen and a Corbin seat. Bike is way more comfortable now and no wind noise.
I've always liked Madstad windshields and have had them on a couple of past bikes, but I worried that the FJ's handguards might hit it at full lock.  Do they?
Yes, they do at full lock. Ergo the KTM handguards which look great and work a treat! http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-original-factory-handguards Love my Corbin-Madstad-KTM mods! 

• Premium Member
I had to borrow the work van this weekend so I just got back from grabbing the bike from the shop. I wanted to try riding around with TCS off, switched it to A and headed back from SF. There's some nice open road a couple miles from home so I figured... why not see how easy it is to get the front wheel up? With TCS on you really have to give it the beans to power hop.  
I rode away from the light, had it at 5000rpm in first, gave it a quick 1/3 throttle twist and instant 10 oclock wheelie

Hehehehehehee
Did something similar in a long, empty parking lot.  I understand why the FZ without TC is a wheelie monster. 
Heck, I'm comfortable enough on the FJ that sometimes the front wheel comes up in 2nd by accident merging into traffic a little aggressively.

I put my new Ermax tall screen on today. I think I like it, it's much wider in person then in the pictures and it will only clear the handguards in the low position. It does deflect wind better off my torso and shoulders better then my stock screen/Xcreen combo but I get hit on the top of the face shield by the wind. The wind pressure is much more as well going over 70 (I could do triple digits in comfort with the old setup).

I'm gonna put the little Xcreen deflector on this one, it should get the wind over my helmet hopefully. The only thing that kind of bugs me is that in direct sunlight it's very brown... But I can probably get used to it.

It takes a little bit of grind work, but it's fairly easy, you need to take off 5mm to get them to fit, they are a bit wider.

I just got my S10 foot pegs today so I will installed them tomorrow. 5mm is enough for a perfect fit? Thank you very much!!

• Premium Member
While not exclusively for the FJ, but certainly will be utilized with the FJ, I ordered a new Go Pro Hero 4 Black today. Been eying them for a while and finally bit the bullet. I already have a Hero HD with WiFi backpack and remote, so I should be able to control and sync both cameras with the remote and do some multi-camera stuff. Cool toy.

I got my Scottoiler Esystem in today and got it installed. Kind of a pain getting it all put in there cleanly without having the tubes exposed and flopping around. I'll take a couple pics tomorrow when I get to work.

One weird thing that makes it a bit awkward is the power cable comes out the opposite side of the fill hole/breather so you have to mount it sideways when it's under the seat. It may take some fiddling since I spend a lot of time lane splitting and I want to make sure the chain is getting oiled reliably even when Im going under 25mph.

I added in the Bikemaster heated grips. Easy install, I just powered them on to heat and used some lube and glue. May have to re-glue the throttle side as its hard platic on hard plastic. Also there is about a half inch less grip. Easily accounted for on the non-throttle side. I'll need to get creative with some black heat shrink on the throttle side to clean up the look. Other than that they installed nice with the front accessory wire under the windshield. Also added another accessory outlet, added a pigtail for the trickle charger and started the wiring for the awesome $20 nlight (sp?) mod another forumite posted.

Sadly Im on the road for biz for a week and wont be able to finish the wiring and add the polymer skin panels till next weekend. If its real sunny may have to see how it handles as a naked bike!
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold