What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

I have purchased four LiPo batteries and find they do more then save weight, but that is a definite plus on a dirtbike which is what I put mine in. Additionally, they will maintain a state of charge longer than a regular lead battery when just sitting around, which is also a great reason to purchase one. On a negative note, they take a while to warm up in the cold and may need a few cycles of the starter to have enough juice to work due to this. The cycling of the starter warms up the battery, and it will release more cold cranking amps. I also find they last one or two years longer before going bad (my experience YMMV). They also cost a bunch more, which is the only real down side IMO.

By regular lead-acid battery do you mean the wet, unsealed type? Absorbed glass mat (AGM) are also lead acid in their chemistry but are regulated by a valve, so won't leak if fitted on their side as in the Tracer. AGM also offer significantly better performance over the wet type with more cold cranking amps(CCA). This allows designers to use smaller battery packs for large capacity bikes, saving weight. AGM batteries will also stay fully charged for long periods, certainly the typical 2-3 month winter lay off we have in the UK. A Hawker Odyssey AGM battery on my R1150GS and a Yuasa AGM on my Super Tenere are evidence of this durability. 
So, for a sports-touring motorcycle, I am still not convinced that the LiPo battery has enough of an advantage to justify the extra cost when replacing a broken battery and certainly not to replace a new one.

If one is riding a lightweight off road bike or a track bike then yes, maybe a few pounds weight loss is worth the extra cost.
I'm with the wessie guy on this one. I'm not worried about a few pounds. This is probably what i'll buy when the stock battery goes. $57, free shipping. link
AGM technology, fill it with acid only when you install it, then seal it for life. Always had good luck with ACDelco batteries. That or Yuasa.

31gtpwZgzqL.jpg

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
AC Delco (part of GM) batteries are pretty good unlike some of the electronics sourced to go into General Motors vehicles - my past employer used to make a circuit board to go into a Vauxhall/Opel car which was a very nasty design and the parts they shipped us to assemble were of the cheap & nasty variety. In Europe, the batteries are mostly rebadged Bosch uits. No idea where they source the US stock from, China probably.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

b12ty, thanks for the link to a good AGM battery. I run them in my truck off road for multiple reasons, and think the Yuasa will be pricey when I have to replace it.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

AC Delco (part of GM) batteries are pretty good unlike some of the electronics sourced to go into General Motors vehicles - my past employer used to make a circuit board to go into a Vauxhall/Opel car which was a very nasty design and the parts they shipped us to assemble were of the cheap & nasty variety. In Europe, the batteries are mostly rebadged Bosch uits. No idea where they source the US stock from, China probably.

Well I use AC Delco batteries in all my families vehicles. They never leak around the posts, so less corroded battery cables, and they last a long time. The last one in my truck ( 60 mo. warranty ) went 7 years, and it sat a lot also. 

I have yet to try them on my bikes, but will when the time comes. The Yuasa in my Suzuki Bandit is over 3 years old and going strong still. It also sits some cause I tend to ride my FJ-09 more, go figure!  thumbup111.gifridin.gif

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

I went for a ride for the first time after having the ECM flashed by Two Wheel Dynoworks and installing Yamaha heated grips. As soon as I took off riding through the neighborhood I could feel the ECM flash made a nice improvement with a bit less abrupt throttle snatching. Then I saw it was in A mode which I never used so even better. Changing to Standard, where I normally leave it, made it smoother yet. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being horrible throttle and 10 perfect I would say stock it was a 5 and now it's an 8 which is pretty good and quite acceptable to me. It would probably be even smoother yet if I hadn't had TWD leave the "close throttle fuel shut off" enabled in the interest of fuel economy and maintaining full engine braking (they normally disable it). The audible stutter from slight missing at low throttle is gone, this flash really cleaned that up nicely.
Heated grips are always nice in cool weather so I was glad to have them. A tip I learned on this forum was to wrap a couple layers of electrical tape around the left bar as insulation prior to sliding the grip on so it heats about the same as the throttle side which I did and both grips feel the same. The default settings for low, med, high, were 1, 5, 10. 5 was a bit too hot for riding today at maybe 50 degrees and 1 was barely noticeable so I reset them to 2, 4, 6 which seems just right for me.

• Premium Member
I went for a 230 mile ride through the mountains to break in my new custom Bill Mayers Seat. They are a local seat builder in Ventura, CA. ,  that also  does  mail order seats. I did the ride in option. It took 3 hours from ride in to ride out to build the seat to fit my butt and my riding style. It is a huge improvement over the Yamaha low seat. The height came out somewhere between the low and the standard seat. Cost for rider seat in vinyl was about $500. 

• Premium Member
Installed the new redesigned strainer cover (oil pan).  

Thanks to com3 for the how to, but I didn't find the other 685 bolts he mentions.  

Thanks to ulewz for the Link to mrcycles.com. They had the parts cheap and delivered to me in 5 days.  

Overtorqued drain plug is a bad memory now, life is good  :)

upgraded my 500 lb spring to 600 lb. Rear suspension done! 
Need to order a few more parts for the front now....

Doc, did you do this on a stock shock?  If so, part # Please!
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• Premium Member
Yesterday was a good day, I installed an M4 slip on exhaust.

[attachment id=635" thumbnail="1]

[attachment id=636" thumbnail="1]
Added some padding to the seat.

[attachment id=637" thumbnail="1]
Installed my ECU that's been flashed by 2wheeldynoworks. 

And finished in installing my AP900C cruise control from Brandondist.com.

[attachment id=638" thumbnail="1]

The benefits of the Shorai batteries are many. Googling will bring you the answers you seek.
I was unhappy with my Shorai.  Unless they have made some changes that make the battery work better, I won't buy another.  Due to the slow warm up and having to start the FJR two - three times to get the bike to start.  The first crank was very slow, the second not much better, the third would spin it so fast, of course it would start.  My problem was that it caused a situatiion that was wearing out the starter motor, starter motor gears and fly wheel gears.  After two years, the battery sits in my garage with a full charge because I don't want to prematurely wear out engine parts.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member

And finished in installing my AP900C cruise control from Brandondist. 

Some more cc pics.

[attachment id=639" thumbnail="1]
[attachment id=640" thumbnail="1]

She's done for now.

[attachment id=641" thumbnail="1]

How about a write up on the Cruise Control.  (to get us ready for when Cruisin gets our deal done).

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Some more cc pics.

She's done for now.

Which cruise control switch did you end up using?  The Super Tenere switch block, or the trail tech?