What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

...Those things that people talk about, whining noise, howling air intake, clanky transmission, sure, but I love it all. I like to hear my bike doing its thing and this bike does it thing very well.
I too love this bike for all the rough edges, and a mischievous temperament. Keeps me alert  8-| . Congrats! Dump the oil will ya.
and replace it with what?  Also, mischievous temperament, great word choices because it is definitely that.  

Got my Two Brothers Black Series exhaust installed today. It's very loud, but sounds absolutely fantastic under WOT. And it looks downright sexy (Since running 100 miles on it, the header has a nice golden hue to it now). For longer multi-day trips, I am going to install a baffle, there's no way I'll survive otherwise. 

Here's the goodness:sGosBxCh.jpgwEroVleh.jpgxCOFLagh.jpg

Got my Two Brothers Black Series exhaust installed today. It's very loud, but sounds absolutely fantastic under WOT. And it looks downright sexy (Since running 100 miles on it, the header has a nice golden hue to it now). For longer multi-day trips, I am going to install a baffle, there's no way I'll survive otherwise.  

Dang that's beautiful. Did you sell a kidney for it?

'15 FJ-09 - Candy Red. Mods: Cruizin cruise control, Givi D2122S WS & crash bars. Rivco anti-vibration highway pegs. Yamaha rear rack & softbags. RAM mount X grip at handlebar bolts. Shorty levers. Tail assembly shortened. FZ6 rubber pegs.
'05 Honda CRF450r
'77 Honda CB550f Super Sport

Dang that's beautiful. Did you sell a kidney for it?

Nope! haha. Found it from an online retailer for $860 shipped.

Nope! haha. Found it from an online retailer for $860 shipped.

Got a link?
'15 FJ-09 - Candy Red. Mods: Cruizin cruise control, Givi D2122S WS & crash bars. Rivco anti-vibration highway pegs. Yamaha rear rack & softbags. RAM mount X grip at handlebar bolts. Shorty levers. Tail assembly shortened. FZ6 rubber pegs.
'05 Honda CRF450r

Got a link?
Those who ask, shall receive! 

Here Ya Go!

Much appreciated!
'05 Honda CRF450r

Guest dmizer
I am looking for an out of the box solution to communicate with my passenger. We wear full face helmets, and don't need anything fancy like a builtin FM receiver and such. Any ideas or advise?
If you're looking for something with great quality, good reliability, with low investment, I highly suggest looking at the older Sena SMH-5 units. The battery life isn't perfect, but it's good enough for most rides. The range isn't great, but it's more than adequate for pilot to pillion. The feature set isn't as fleshed out as some of the higher end models, but the cost is quite nice at less than 270 CAD (without the FM radio tuner) for a twin pack. They're small, the updated speakers are powerful enough to be heard at highway speeds (if you're using ear plugs). The higher end Sena units like the 10S linked earlier are compatible, so if you decide to upgrade your unit later, you're passenger can still use the SMH5 with no issues.

Edit to add -> If you look around, you'll probably be able to find a dual pack for less than 200 CAD. They're less than that on Revzilla: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-smh5-bluetooth-headset-dual-pack

Wasn’t too satisfied with the way the Skene rear LEDs appeared to be a bit lop-sided after mounting them on the two small accompanying brackets – though the LEDs themselves work perfectly.

So made up a one-piece bracket out of scrap 1.5mm aluminium sheet – it’s heavily embossed on both sides which stiffens it somewhat so I am sure it will suffice to hold the ¾ of an ounce/ 19 grams weight of the two LEDs.

Cut out a cardboard template first, then made the bracket, finally giving it a quick spray of satin black auto paint. This new bracket is also a little better in that it carries the LEDs a bit further back and sites them immediately under the rear lights.

I’m normally a very fussy fellow, just short of OCD, but as a sheet-metal worker I’d make a fine astronaut, so I’m happy with this, given its hidden location.

[em]Wordsmith – ’39 model – Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
http://i.imgur.com/ddHZVxN.jpg[/em][em]http://i.imgur.com/YS8aIzo.jpg
[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

[strong]Grip Puppies[/strong] (a registered brand name) are the easiest way to reduce handlebar vibration (not that I can detect any at all, at any speed) and overall comfort, as they increase the diameter of the rather skinny OE handgrips.

They are the first purchase I make with every new bike, but of late some lookalikes have emerged, some made of much thinner neoprene material than genuine Grip Puppies. These genuine Puppies are 5” (12.7cm) long and a perfect fit for the Tracer.

They are quickly fitted using a bit of soapy water to slide them onto the grips after unscrewing the end-mounted handguard supports. Actually, it’s not quite ‘slide them on’ as I’ve found from many installations that the best way is to apply the soapy water to both the Puppies and the rubber bike grips, then hold the puppies very firmly with a towel and twist them on, pushing inwards with a gradual to-and-fro rotation. This also dries out the Puppies from the firm pressure between them and the towel.

A drop of blue Loctite on the handguard screws when replacing them is the final job.

Always recommended. Mine came from the UK in twelve days as nowadays I cannot find the brand in local stores - $31.
A more important 'what did you do' today was the final (hopefully!) tweaking of the suspension: see current Thread titled [em]'DIY suspension adjustments'.
[/em]
[em]Wordsmith (’39 model)- Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
[/em]
[em]2015 Matte Grey MT-09 Tracer – now at 607km.
[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Another day, another package in the mail, another job.  
The OE rider’s foot-pegs on the Tracer resemble a medieval weapon of war (or torture), being heavily and aggressively studded on the top surface. OK for those who feel a need to stand up on the pegs: I don’t, and as my left ankle is a bit ‘lazy’ that lhs peg does tend to catch a little on my boot when moving it around to change gear.

Cue on-line purchase of a pair of rubber-topped foot-pegs, slated as being for the FZ6 but also fitting straight on the Tracer.

Installation was quite straightforward but a bit fiddly as many of these jobs are, the trickiest part being to keep the return spring centred while inserting the quite tight-fitting hinge-pin.   The lhs peg’s hinge-pin has a rivetted head which needed to be drilled out -  a moment's work.   The rhs is much more straightforward as the hinge-pin there is secured with a split-pin. Not sure why they couldn’t have both been secured the same way!   I'm also not sure about the fact that the new hinge-pins are secured with a spring circlip each: I couldn't imagine a more lethal thing happening than a foot-peg dropping off at almost any velocity!   I'll keep a very close eye on these...

The new pegs are about twice the width and exactly an inch longer than OE, so the screw-in ‘hero-knobs’ are correspondingly shorter.

I have never felt any serious vibration through the pegs – if any – but these will be an improvement over the OE’s in allowing me unimpeded foot movement across the foot-peg.

Well made and solid-looking, and a steal at only $16 post-free from Hong Kong on E-Bay Motors, they arrived within fourteen days of ordering.
Tomorrow - installing new turn signal LEDs - a job that seems to require almost completely disassembling the body panels!   

[em]Wordsmith (’39 model) – Brisbane, Queensland, Australia[/em]
http://i.imgur.com/DeTwkbU.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/LdahcSJ.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/T8OMtfJ.jpg

> * Yamaha factory soft bags - already installed[img]
* Yamaha factory heated grips
* Yamaha factory 'rally style' footpads
* Radiator guard
* 12 volt USB outlet
* Grip Puppies
* Led mirror indicators
* Red LED reflector to replace the stock reflector in the rear - already installed - (wired with the parking lights and and brake lights so also glows brighter when I hit the brakes).

More pictures to follow.

I am also thinking of doing the stock exhaust mod, black ceramic coating the exhaust, flashing the ECU and installing a quick shifter.

IMG_3792_zpswb3iycjo.jpg

IMG_3793_zpshhic5l3h.jpg