What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
[span style=font-size:12pt]Cue on-line purchase of a pair of rubber-topped foot-pegs, slated as being for the FZ6 but also fitting straight on the Tracer.[/span] 
Well made and solid-looking, and a steal at only $16 post-free from Hong Kong on E-Bay Motors, they arrived within fourteen days of ordering.
Inspired by your post yesterday I, too shopped online and found these lovely replacement pegs (albeit eight US dollars cheaper due to my fortunate proximity to the source) and they are already shipped to me for replacement. 
The vibes are only part of the reasoning I have to purchase these; I wear a size 10.5 / 45 Euro 4E wide boot, and with feet nearly as wide as they are long, they just don't fit comfortably secured on the narrower OEM pegs. The new pegs will give me a more secure feel when hammering through the corners. No longer will the outside ball of my feet be precariously teetering on the edge of my pegs.

The fact that they are a direct bolt-on replacement with zero modification required is simply bonus. :)
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
Just passed the one year mark, so I bled the brakes, cleaned the rotors, and decided to install EBC Double-H sintered pads up front. Zip-tied the front lever overnight. After bed-in, the initial bite is improved; better (firmer) feel at lever, so I'm happy with the results. Still considering the R6 master cylinder upgrade, but it can wait.

A set of four [strong]slimline amber LED indicators (turn signals)[/strong] arrived only six days after ordering from Hong Kong.

Ulewz’ useful installation tips and pix from late 2015 were studied [em](look in the ‘how-to’ Thread),[/em] and the necessary – as I found out - set of eight (8) spacers (two per indicator) were then ordered. At USD$33 they cost more than the USD$17 post-free LEDs! Spacers came from the USA and took 14 days to arrive.

Installing the new indicators was a bit tricky, especially getting the OE units off the front of the bike, which required a bit of head-scratching fairing panel disassembly. Feel free to PM me if in trouble here, though Ulewz covers it pretty well, at least for the rather more tricky front lights.

The main thing is to think about the next step as you proceed, as the wires need to be threaded through the front reassembled fairing panels (the holes are offset), and other things need doing in correct sequence – such as re-attaching the tiny spring-clips that help join the inner and outer fairing panels, or putting a short length of heat-shrink tube onto each wire before soldering – I didn’t, the first time!

The rear ones puzzled me a bit until I peered underneath the bracket that secures them and found that I could release the OE rubber stems from there. After that it was plain sailing and a little light soldering following the same general procedures as with the front signals. Soldering wasn’t strictly necessary with these particular lights as they had nice, easy-to-use crimp-on terminals on each wire, but I soldered anyway.

They look neat, and are less bulbous than the OE pumpkins, more in keeping perhaps with the angular lines of the bike generally. I take an earlier point that they present less 'mass' of light, but they are significantly bright and attention-grabbing, and recommended.

[em]Wordsmith – ’39 model – Brisbane, Queensland, Australia[/em]
[strong]http://i.imgur.com/utXTu25.jpg[/strong][strong]http://i.imgur.com/3M9LqrJ.jpg[/strong][strong]
[/strong]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Just did this mod yesterday, I found pegs on E-bay for about $8 ( a PAIR ), so cheap I thought it was for 1 peg.  I have 2 pair now.  Good quality, took a short ride and my size 12 boots feel much better than on the short little pegs that came with the bike.

Will be doing OEM Heated grips, adjusting the suspension,  and designing a shorty windshield this weekend.  Still waiting on the Givi monokey racks.  

Another day, another package in the mail, another job.   The OE rider’s foot-pegs on the Tracer resemble a medieval weapon of war (or torture), being heavily and aggressively studded on the top surface. OK for those who feel a need to stand up on the pegs: I don’t, and as my left ankle is a bit ‘lazy’ that lhs peg does tend to catch a little on my boot when moving it around to change gear.

Cue on-line purchase of a pair of rubber-topped foot-pegs, slated as being for the FZ6 but also fitting straight on the Tracer.

The new pegs are about twice the width and exactly an inch longer than OE, so the screw-in ‘hero-knobs’ are correspondingly shorter.

[em]Wordsmith (’39 model) – Brisbane, Queensland, Australia[/em]

• Premium Member
Ugh, don't even get me started on the Givi Monokey racks. I ordered a set back in February and they're FINALLY supposed to come in this coming Tuesday. I've had the cases sitting in my living room for almost 2 months with no way to attach them!

Anyways, this weekend I am installing the CC module and the yellow LED modules on the handguards! I'm pretty excited to test out my new fancy temperature controlled soldering iron too...

Mounted a puig wind deflector on my Givi screen, Yamaha OEM soft bags came in the mail today, purchased the mounting kit for them today. Love the size of them as they're not too big and look great on the bike, I'll keep them on all the time.
'15 FJ-09 - Candy Red. Mods: Cruizin cruise control, Givi D2122S WS & crash bars. Rivco anti-vibration highway pegs. Yamaha rear rack & softbags. RAM mount X grip at handlebar bolts. Shorty levers. Tail assembly shortened. FZ6 rubber pegs.
'05 Honda CRF450r
'77 Honda CB550f Super Sport

The quest for optimum visibility on the road continued with today’s installation of a pair of [strong]10W 2” CREE front conspicuity LED lights.   [/strong]Aka hi-viz spot lights.

I’ve had these fitted to other bikes, and as with the rear Skene LEDs recently installed I find some extra peace of mind when riding along with these glowing like Chernobyl through the Ukraine mist.

Mark you, nothing guarantees avoidance of a SMIDSY. Riding my Cree-equipped BMW R1200R Roadster recently along a wide and straight multi-lane freeway I became aware that a light truck pulling a trailer was slowly drifting across from the left into my lane. I gave a short ‘beep’ of my somewhat attention-grabbing Stebel mini-Mack horn, at which the truck driver stuck his head out of the window, eyes and mouth wide open as if he was looking at a yellow submarine!

Clearly he hadn’t looked into his mirrors, as he could hardly have missed the solar-flare bright front LEDs that the bike carries!

Back to today’s installation on the Tracer, which initially was far from simple.

I bought AdventureTech’s mounting bracket (they call it a light-bar) and wiring harness, which comes complete with all wires, connectors, built-in fuse and relay, and switch (though I prefer to have my LEDs wired so that they are always on when the ignition is on).

It was a bit of a nightmare to install the bracket, space in front of the steering-head to get in fingers, spanners, whatever, to secure bolts, washers, and nuts being very, [em]very[/em] tight. The backs of my hands are black and blue!

But I got there, and have to say that the bracket is sturdy and nicely-made. It carries the lights below and on each side of the main headlights, but not quite forming a triangle of lights, which I have often read is the ideal for maximum visibility to other drivers.

Future installers are advised to elongate upwards the two mounting holes on the bracket so that the unit can be bolted-on a tad lower than standard. I found, on first install, that it was just touching part of the adjacent bodywork, and was concerned that the very tight fit might over time cause some issues there from vibration, panel flex, and so on [em](see pic with yellow arrow).[/em] So I removed the bracket, filed out longer vertical slots in the two mounting holes, and reassembled it, using shorter bolts to ease the process this time – [em]aaarrrggghhhhhhh!
[/em]
Now there’s a gap of a few millimetres between the front tip of the body fairing and the extreme outer end of the bracket.

With the bracket secured I did a ‘dummy’ fit of one of the Crees, and decided that they could and should be more visible, a little higher and more outboard, to create more of the triangle effect. I may make the necessary changes later, but that pesky bracket is staying put!   I'll also put neat acorn nuts onto the threads, as appropriate, to just dress them up a little. 

Monday - let the wiring begin!   More later...

[em]Wordsmith (’39 model) - Brisbane, Queensland, Australia[/em]
[em]http://i.imgur.com/8NMWx4I.jpg[/em][em]
[/em][em]http://i.imgur.com/9EMllvc.jpg
[/em]http://i.imgur.com/pVpOZs9.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
I fitted Andreani forks and a Nitron R1 shock. OK, well I didn't do that but the lovely people at the garage are doing that as I laze around in bed (it's a Saturday morning!) while they are also doing the 12 month service. I'm hoping to pick-up a completely different bike just before lunch. I've also ordered some SW Motech 28mm bar risers and Adventure-Tech's mirror extenders that I will fit during the week as it seems like a much more manageable job.

Guest bruinfj09guy
Picked up a Carbtune from a poster on another forum. I may re-do by throttle body sync to see if I am correct in doubting the accuracy of my other dial-type gauges. I may also switch screens again, as that has become a bit of a "thing" for me lately. :)

• Premium Member
Picked up a Carbtune from a poster on another forum. I may re-do by throttle body sync to see if I am correct in doubting the accuracy of my other dial-type gauges. I may also switch screens again, as that has become a bit of a "thing" for me lately. :)
The Carbtune is a quality tool, but I doubt you will get any closer than a dial type. I have been using a quad dial type for years with good results, just not as easy to work with. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Installed my cruise control today from Brandon Distributing....perfect! 

IMG_0873.JPG
I'd been thinking about this mount position even before I received the unit. I love it there and it's a SOLID mount. I chose that position because I won't be using it that often and I didn't want it "under thumb". It still looks well integrated and OEM. As you can see, the LED install went perfectly. If you look closely, you'll see that it's actually mounted "upside-down" with the "set" button on the bottom and resume on top. I did that for two reasons.
1. Set on the bottom and resume on the top is how it's oriented in my car!
2. This allows me to hide the wire directly into the other wires underneath! 

Just got back from the "setup ride". It was a bit abrupt when setting the speed so I had to adjust the "Init Speed". That took only 5 minutes and now it's PERFECTLY smooth when setting the speed. Love this product!
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000