What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
Took my daughter on a 80 mile ride.
She was a little uncomfortable on the Corbin seat. I think she's just not used to riding as I like my Corbin since I had it re-foamed to softer. Bike runs fantastic! Even with two up (around 375 lbs.total). The more I ride the FJ09 the more I'm happy with my choice.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Took my daughter on a 80 mile ride. She was a little uncomfortable on the Corbin seat. I think she's just not used to riding as I like my Corbin since I had it re-foamed to softer. Bike runs fantastic! Even with two up (around 375 lbs.total). The more I ride the FJ09 the more I'm happy with my choice.
Maybe it needs to break in a bit too. Depending on how much she weighs, that could take a while. Though at 375 lb total, I suspect she may weigh enough to break it in over a few hundred miles. 

• Premium Member
Took my daughter on a 80 mile ride. She was a little uncomfortable on the Corbin seat. I think she's just not used to riding as I like my Corbin since I had it re-foamed to softer. Bike runs fantastic! Even with two up (around 375 lbs.total). The more I ride the FJ09 the more I'm happy with my choice.
Maybe it needs to break in a bit too. Depending on how much she weighs, that could take a while. Though at 375 lb total, I suspect she may weigh enough to break it in over a few hundred miles.
Ha! Ha! That's 375 lbs between both of us and most of that is me. My daughter is a petite young lady... :-)

• Premium Member
Ha! Ha! That's 375 lbs between both of us and most of that is me. My daughter is a petite young lady... :-)
Good thing you clarified, if she ever saw that post, you would be toast!

I installed the lowered seat. Being 5'8", I can now comfortably reach the ground and back out of tight spots. It also corners better since I'm sitting about an inch lower. But, it's like sitting on a rock. I'll have to take her out on a long ride to see if it's bearable.
After couple of weeks, whats your verdict about the lowered seat? Also, did you used Yamahas OEM one or something else?

Being a similar height low rider like you, I have been thinking the lower seat. Not so keen about lowering the whole bike..

Fist post to the forum. Greetings from Finland 8-)

I installed the lowered seat. Being 5'8", I can now comfortably reach the ground and back out of tight spots. It also corners better since I'm sitting about an inch lower. But, it's like sitting on a rock. I'll have to take her out on a long ride to see if it's bearable.
After couple of weeks, whats your verdict about the lowered seat? Also, did you used Yamahas OEM one or something else? 
Being a similar height low rider like you, I have been thinking the lower seat. Not so keen about lowering the whole bike..

Fist post to the forum. Greetings from Finland 8-)

I too am 5'8" and have a 28.5" inseam. I moved from riding sport bikes into an FJ and found it high. I rode with the OEM seat on high for a while, was not too crazy about the reach, then switched to the low setting, and still wasn't crazy about the reach.  I then got used to it. I realized the way I placed my foot on the ground had changed to a bit of a wider stand and there may be a bit of a lean on the bike, not much. I eventually installed a Bagster seat but I'm not sure that actually changed the reach.

I am very comfortable now.

Performed the 600 mile oil change, went ahead and swapped out the '15 oil pan for the revised one. Went very smoothly.
"I live at the end of a 1-way dead end street"

15' Yamaha FJ-09 Matte Grey - Current
04' BMW M3 AW/BLK 6MT Slicktop - Current (Daily)
89' Mazda Rx7 Black/LS1 6MT - Current (Track car)

Added a camera, the Innovv C3.
It acts like a dashcam, a new file every 3 minutes and looping once it fills the card.

The 90 degrees lens is on a cable and the main unit is under the pillion seat.
I am running it from a USB on the front lighter socket, with an inline USB switch (to reduce potential self incrimination).
It's mounted on the SW-Motech bars, which are mounted on the engine, so it's getting the engine vibes.

The colour balance is too blue, I can correct that with the software.

P_20160819_174235_zpsy3tx7lsd.jpgP_20160820_153103_zpsz0yeczq6.jpg

Here's a test video, filmed in the awful mid winter conditions here on the Sunshine Coast !
[video src=https://youtu.be/uQ7B-YHOiOg?t=66]

• Premium Member
Put my new windscreen on and replaced the stupid ass plastic screws. Who the hell thought THAT was a good idea?!?! 
h7Kr8v0.jpg

U7vNQs9.jpg

aeDimP5.jpg

7PMGBfS.jpg

Nobody seems to trust them plastic screws very much but their actually nylon and their pretty strong. Their designed to shear off in the unfornate event that a rider has a collision or high sides over the bars and through the shield. The factory brackets that hold the shields are usually made of die cast or some other light weight material that will easily collapse as well. Luckily I haven't done it but I've read some story's of guys banging up their rib cages on plastic shield impacts and I do know what that feels like.
BLB

I crashed it. After 22 years of crash-free riding, I had my first off-the-bike experience yesterday while riding with an R6 and a (2) R1's. Yamaha built a strong bike in the FJ-09. I was leading the ride, and I came up on a much slower rider (Harley poser) in a corner, and had to either hit him or go off-roading. I chose the latter. I ended up getting air twice. I got slowed down to around 35 mph before I laid her down. Those ugly hand guards that I had considered removing totally did their job. Neither the clutch lever, brake reservoir, cables, nor my hand suffered any damage. The suspension all seems undamaged (I rode another 115 miles after the crash.) The Rox risers didn't move a bit. After cleaning her up, I found no permanent damage besides some scratches on the hand guard and mirror, all of which could be replaced cheaply. What did I learn? Get some frame sliders. If I had gone down on pavement, or if there had been gravel where I dropper her, the engine and transmission covers would have been smoked (see the mud on said covers.) Also, always wear your gear. The heat index here was 93, but I'd have a screwed up arm if I hadn't been wearing a jacket. 
Im glad your Alpine Star Boots and pants saved your legs and feet. 22 years and you ride like a squid bro. AS a harley rider you make me laugh, as an FJ owner you make me embarrassed. Im sure your new ebay add selling your FJ would be "2015 Fj-09, mature rider, never dropped, looking to trade up for a harley."

Put my new windscreen on and replaced the stupid ass plastic screws. Who the hell thought THAT was a good idea?!?! 
h7Kr8v0.jpg

U7vNQs9.jpg

aeDimP5.jpg

7PMGBfS.jpg

They are plastic so they will shear off in a accident rather than have a nice bit of sharp plastic at neck and face height.
Sorry just seen the other post saying just this...

• Premium Member
h7Kr8v0.jpg

U7vNQs9.jpg

aeDimP5.jpg

7PMGBfS.jpg
Nobody seems to trust them plastic screws very much but their actually nylon and their pretty strong. Their designed to shear off in the unfornate event that a rider has a collision or high sides over the bars and through the shield. The factory brackets that hold the shields are usually made of die cast or some other light weight material that will easily collapse as well. Luckily I haven't done it but I've read some story's of guys banging up their rib cages on plastic shield impacts and I do know what that feels like.

Speaking of brackets... this shield didn't come with any.  Guess I'll be getting "creative" this weekend.  Screen eliminates ~90%  of the helmet buzz I was experiencing, but it flops around way too much for my liking.

• Premium Member
Having fun playing with my Sena 20s. Sounds great and adds a new dimension to my riding. Went for a ride this morning and ran into a buddy of mine on his way to work on his DR650. Followed him to his job, chatted a bit and then rode some more listening to tunes and enjoying the experience. Life is good...