What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
Today I went for my first real ride post-ECU flash (@2wheeldynoworks). (I'm not counting my ride home on Thursday.)

It performed just as expected, and as everyone else has said...

95% of the coughing/sputtering/throat-clearing lean-sounding stuff is gone.

The roads today were a bit moist, so I wasn't able to really wring it out, but the real differences come at part-throttle anyway, so this may have been good conditions after all to discern some of the differences.

I almost miss the sputteriness from before. It's so smooth now, with just the faintest sputter under very light partial throttle.

I realize that I was doing a fair amount of compensating before, giving it more gas than it needed sometimes to get past the sputter. I'll need to unlearn that. And the throttle response is now more immediate, so I'll need to undo some of the compensating I was doing before.

In summary, if the coughing/sputtering really bothers you, then this is your ticket. If you view the coughing as "character", and you don't "need" to get rid of the speed limiter, then keep the stock setup.

Haven't had a chance to drive aggressively, or (needless to say) to test the lack of speed limiter. I would imagine the greater smoothness will be very helpful when that time comes.

I can't say I've really noticed fuelling issues since I tweaked the CO levels. Is there a different Yamaha map between USA and UK does anyone know?
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Changing my first rear tire. I got 3671 miles on that first Dunlap D222. The first 1755 miles were put on by the previous owner. I got a free set of Dunlap tires by way of entering a contest on the podcast, "Talking Motorcycles with Barry Boone". I got Roadsmart II's.
The original front looks great. These tires may be a 2 rears tires to 1 front tire. I'll find out.
Friends don't let friends ride on Dunlops!  :D
Why would you say that?  If you don't mean it, use the winking smily face: ;)

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
Friends don't let friends ride on Dunlops!  :D
Of all the brands I've ever used, and I've used them all, Dunlops have been the worst. I tend to lean (pun intended) towards brands with 0 degree belt construction, providing a linear turn in vs. tires with a more triangular shape that fall into turns. But mostly, Dunlops don't hit the price/performance marker for me to buy them. I'd probably pick up a set of Q3s for a track day, but that's about it. 
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I concur, javascript:void(0)I was glad to get shot of the Dunlops and Stick the Avon's on.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Of all the brands I've ever used, and I've used them all, Dunlops have been the worst. I tend to lean (pun intended) towards brands with 0 degree belt construction, providing a linear turn in vs. tires with a more triangular shape that fall into turns. But mostly, Dunlops don't hit the price/performance marker for me to buy them. I'd probably pick up a set of Q3s for a track day, but that's about it. 
Could Dunlop sport-touring tires be any worse if they tried? If there are 10 S-T tires are the market, Dunlops would rank a comfortable 9th, only barely beating out Shinko. Yep, I've tried them too.
Keep Asheville weird!

• Premium Member
In the last three days I've installed the Custom LED Blaster-X tail light! Damn, I thought I would keep the stock turn signals... but after putting these on... no need! ?
8fc2a1269fafcc133ae54c86b1eb20f3.jpg
3fb0f68490aade943ccb8a731c929d05.jpg
Then as I posted in another thread here I REALLY like the FZ1 fuze block. So I installed one.
02984e2ac8e02d85a92a5b8a0e04710d.jpg
And wired in my Garmin 660 god after installing the Cosmo Moto Ram ball mount.
aba14e6be3ca70d34b56a5d15954a6fd.jpga3c81e3543e34bb473c828930d57a12b.jpg

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
Could Dunlop sport-touring tires be any worse if they tried? If there are 10 S-T tires are the market, Dunlops would rank a comfortable 9th, only barely beating out Shinko. Yep, I've tried them too.

Funny that our experiences are so different. I've ridden Metzeler, Bridgestone, and Dunlop. Michelins are more expensive than the other brands, which are all otherwise similar in price. Bridgestones were the worst in feel and actual handling - I would slide on the same roads in similar conditions compared to the other 2. The only Bridgestones I liked for grip were BT-010s that lasted about 2000 miles on a lightweight supermoto.

Metz compared to Dunlop might have had slightly better grip, no better "feel" and much worse life. Dunlops have lasted longer, had good feel, were usually slightly less expensive, and were easier to get from local shops.

• Premium Member
Installed & balanced a rear Michelin Pilot Road 2 on the FJ today  :) :
Very nice. I ran PR2's on my SV a few years ago, I loved them. Excellent grip rain or shine, and I got 8-9k miles+ out of the rears easily. Very well behaved tire with no unusual or unpredictable habits.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
Installed & balanced a rear Michelin Pilot Road 2 on the FJ today  :) :
Very nice. I ran PR2's on my SV a few years ago, I loved them. Excellent grip rain or shine, and I got 8-9k miles+ out of the rears easily. Very well behaved tire with no unusual or unpredictable habits.
Thanks, 
When I ordered PR2 for the FJ, it surprised me I could still find PR2s. Always liked them, ran a PR2 on the rear of a Aprilia Dorsoduro and Pilot Power on the front, nice combo with 1 hour ride to and from the twistys..  (rofl)

• Premium Member
Installed & balanced a rear Michelin Pilot Road 2 on the FJ today  :)
IMG_2169-M.jpg

IMG_2170-M.jpg

IMG_2173-M.jpg

Bill,
How many miles did you get out of your original tire?

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
Brick,

Since buying the FJ last month noticed the original drive chain/sprockets making extra noise compared to my other chain driven bikes.

The original rear tire had 3000 miles on it. Could have gotten additional miles on it, but also replaced the front/rear sprockets and chain yesterday. I'm going with 20 to 25MM chain sag on the new JT sprockets & DID chain.  Going with a Pilot Power on the front in a couple thousand miles.

IMG_2167-M.jpg

DID calls for 20 to 25MM chain sag unless OEM recommendation is different, I went with DID recommendation:

IMG_2168-M.jpg

The original front sprocket had phenolic collars on both sides of the steel sprocket:

IMG_2152-M.jpg

Not sure about this, but chain noise may have been coming from chain contact on the collars on the front sprocket:

IMG_2156-M.jpg

JT sprockets:

IMG_2158-M.jpg

IMG_2160-M.jpg

I'm glad to see this posting, I too thought the chain noise on the FJ is excessive.  I've had the bike to the dealer several times complaining about a noise that I describe as a ball bearing rolling around in a tin can.  Their solution was to tighten the chain just a bit.  I do not follow Yamaha's recommendation for chain adjustment.  After seeing your post and the picture provided I'm certain the stock front sprocket is generating the noise I described.  I see no concerns with this and will replace the sprockets when needed.  Thanks!
Brad
Selbyville, DE