What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
It probably will not arise during a test-ride, but given the adverse comments here about chain-slack (or lack of) on earlier models it will be interesting to see what the newer model (or its Owner Manual) reveals in this regard..
I would think that given the hoopla around this ''improved' platform, if things aren't apparent on a 20 minute ride (gadgets and the seat aside).... it won't be worth the swap, if that is the intent....  IMO.
I agree with you, aside from the different shaped seat and narrower handlebars, most of the new models "improvements" are going to be creature comforts (cruise control, heated grips etc.) not something you would necessarily feel on a test ride.  While the shock is supposed to have remote preload and the forks have compression adjustment, does that mean that they improved the spring rate or internal damping?  
I really hope the Tracer/Tracer GT is a sales grand-slam and other manufacturers see what a "stock" bike can offer.  Congratulations to Yamaha for producing a feature packed bike instead of offering everything as an additional accessory.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
First decent ride of the season. 110 miles in sunny, but 6 celcius conditions. Still some snow in the road edges in Wales. Heated grips are probably the best farkle I’ve added.
I agree.  The heated grips are worth their weight in gold.  I also use a Tourmaster Heated Vest. I took a ride up to a ski resort last week where it was 2 degrees Celsius.  Toasty warm.  Did I mention it has a heated collar?  8-)

• Premium Member
I'm almost finished installing my sexy new Nitron shock. Had to reference back to betoney's posts in the thread I saved. Easy-peasy lemon squeezy!
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Supporting Member
I'm almost finished installing my sexy new Nitron shock. Had to reference back to betoney's posts in the thread I saved. Easy-peasy lemon squeezy!
Once you get the new suspension installed and dialed in, you're going to fall in love all over again with your bike! 

• Premium Member
Oh, I'm aware, had the same thing with my '07 SV-650. Really transformed the bike into an entirely different machine.

I've got it installed now, I texted pattonme for his 2 cents regarding some very slight play on the lower mount clevis, I have about 2mm side-to-side play there between the clevis and the shock mount that has me scratching my head... Anyone else have this? I didn't notice this when I yanked the OEM shock off, but then again I wasn't paying that much attention to this during disassembly.

qnRrgU5LA-w8TbyHqrzVp0Bo4BCakkCt6dQ9WmgaxyR_To4ushIyRFxx6SbHHe0WPcXm5OuYYhUScaFOpSKl1pSTg8SXf-M_pPiDxAIhzjSz_G_ks5lSVyQpd66iWgdjnqpouZFLSA=w2400

• Premium Member
I think it's all good. Matt said 1-2mm is not unusual, there is no other play in any direction other than the side-to-side. Also, once I put weight on the rear suspension and loaded the shock, I couldn't move it at all. I may have been overthinking it a bit. I can see how it would be bad to have it too snug and binding, it would negatively hinder the swingarm movement and pivot point.

As a means of recording commuting close calls here in crazy Southern California, I mounted a Mobius camera to the front of my bike. Right now I have it plugged into the 12V Utility socket but one of these days I will rewire it to one of the open connectors in front of the odometer.

It is considered a permanent installation.  The Mobius has loop recording so it just keeps recording new files over old files.  Camera powers up when bike powers up and shuts down when bike powers down.

I wanted it to be small so as not to draw attention to itself. It is virtually impossible to notice it without it being pointed out and having to bend down to have a looks see. I put a lexan cover on the front to protect the real lens.   Small sheet of lexan can be purchased at Home Depot,  I wipe off the lexan whenever I think about it.   The camera and the case were both purchased on ebay.

Mobius_1.jpg

Mobius_2.jpg

Mobius_3.jpg

Mobius_4.jpg

Mobius_5.jpg

Mobius_6.jpg

Mobius_7.jpg

Mobius_8.jpg

Mobius_9.jpg

Just upgraded brake pads to EBC HH and found them to be a big improvement over the stock pads. The rear brakes are transformed from useless to perfect and the front brakes are stronger. I can now stop the bike with two fingers without having to squeeze hard. This is a low cost upgrade that will add to the enjoyment and safety of your ride.

• Premium Member
Yesterday, I rode the Skyway, the dragon, and the southern end of foothills parkway. There was fog so thick I cut off a piece and had a bite. Snow and ice. Rain and lightning. I was all alone on these great roads... except for a guy in a Porsche for a couple of minuets. It. Was. Fantastic.
Today I'm going to clean her up and lube the chain. She got rode hard and put up wet and that's the way I like it.

Let’s go Brandon

As a means of recording commuting close calls here in crazy Southern California, I mounted a Mobius camera to the front of my bike. Right now I have it plugged into the 12V Utility socket but one of these days I will rewire it to one of the open connectors in front of the odometer. 

It is considered a permanent installation.  The Mobius has loop recording so it just keeps recording new files over old files.  Camera powers up when bike powers up and shuts down when bike powers down.

I wanted it to be small so as not to draw attention to itself. It is virtually impossible to notice it without it being pointed out and having to bend down to have a looks see. I put a lexan cover on the front to protect the real lens.   Small sheet of lexan can be purchased at Home Depot,  I wipe off the lexan whenever I think about it.   The camera and the case were both purchased on ebay.

Mobius_1.jpg

Mobius_2.jpg

Mobius_3.jpg

Mobius_4.jpg

Mobius_5.jpg

Mobius_6.jpg

Mobius_7.jpg

Mobius_8.jpg

Mobius_9.jpg

If the nylon cloth doesn't work for reducing vibration, I've read of some good results in reducing vibration in mirrors using Sorbothane foam. 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042U78H2/ref=asc_df_B0042U78H25416103/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B0042U78H2&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193154321880&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12800397080349298856&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9006822&hvtargid=aud-441392016954:pla-309744481826

I think it's all good. Matt said 1-2mm is not unusual, there is no other play in any direction other than the side-to-side. Also, once I put weight on the rear suspension and loaded the shock, I couldn't move it at all. I may have been overthinking it a bit. I can see how it would be bad to have it too snug and binding, it would negatively hinder the swingarm movement and pivot point.
I too just installed new shock (Ohlin's) and had the same amount of play.