How old are you?

In my late fifties, and riding since I was 12. Owned bikes since I was 16. Paid cash for all of them other than sponsor-provided rides. Did ice racing, hill climbing, speedway and a few other mostly dirt-based motor sports as a kid. Rode for a couple of bicycle racing teams/Coors Classic in the 80's with the coach on back. Lots of fun. If I rode a sport bike, I'd have to be taken off of it with a crane, so love the posture on the FJ09!  

NOTE:  Yamahas have been in the family for years.  My Pops and his bike, a black Yamaha Venture, are in the movie "American Flyers" when Bill from Specialized adjusts the brakes on a moving bicycle from the back of the bike.  That's riding.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
My Pops and his bike, a black Yamaha Venture, are in the movie "American Flyers" when Bill from Specialized adjusts the brakes on a moving bicycle from the back of the bike.  That's riding.
Cool. That movie ignited my passion for bicycling way back when. Went on to do several triathlons as a result.  Still keep a decent road bike around. 

I'm 68 as well. First Yamaha was a YDS-3 I bought way back in 1966. I always wanted a DT-1 but never managed to get one. I'm still in love with my 106k-mile 2002 FZ-1, but the FJ-09 might be the best motorcycle I've ever owned for my current style of riding. 
- Joe
I got you by a year.  I rode scooters when I was 12-13, no brand name just home made.  Broke my first collar bone on that one.  First bike was a 68 Yamaha DT-1, I rode in Colorado while working there after Vietnam.  Smoked many a joint on that one down by the river. Later in life, after the kids were at least 18, I got a Yamaha Virago 1100, then a BMW F650st, BMW R1100R, FJR1300abs (still have), FZ-09, and now the FJ. 
First real bike: (68 like this)
BS11-DeFordDT1B-M5.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

With some luck, I'll reach 77 years in January. I bought a red FJ-09 in July and I can't stop smiling!  I downsized from a Honda ST1300 as it was really getting difficult maneuvering it in parking lots and other fairly stationary situations.  The FJ is a perfect bike for me now.  I put 2400 miles on it just tooling around the mountains of New Hampshire.  It's touring ready with Yamaha bags, Givi 46L Top Case, Corbin heated saddle, heated grips, Garmin Zumo, CalSci medium windshield. Can't wait for next Spring![/font]

• 2 weeks later...
wow, lots of experience here ;)

Im 46 and I started riding in 2006. AT 36 I bought my FZ6 and have been oogling bikes ever since. Many things fall by the way side as I get older but the riding stays great. I love seeing all the people riding into the 70's and beyond. Means I have decades to look forward to :)

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I am 60
"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing.
Rush in and die, dogs — I was a man before I was a king!" -- from t poem "The Road of Kings" by Robt. E. Howard

Archived