Strange noise coming from engine ! FJ-09 Cam Chain

Its not my imagination had 3 other people hear the noise plain as day.  Sounds like a clatter or something metal hitting something metal it does not sound normal at all. Drove under 40 mph for a mile came back and still heard the noise. Bike has 467 miles ............................cam chain tensioner?Heres two vids [video src=http://youtu.be/3QA0DC9M8Zc] [video src=http://youtu.be/S9TAVBSQQlA]

2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Sounds like cam chain tentioner or exhaust leak. Good luck. Definitely a warranty issue.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
The noise went away after romping on it a bit it got really warmed up. But it never made that noise before. and it happened 3 times today
Check the oil level. Definitely sounds like the cam chain tentioner. I would wind up the spring using a very small thin screwdriver and quickly release it to reset it (pull the screwdriver out smartly). Hope that works. Oh, remove the small screw in the center to access the winding of the cct spring.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

After doing extensive research I've came to the conclusion that it is indeed the Cam chain tensioner. Called the local Yamaha shop and they were less than accommodating. So I called Yamaha customer service and had them call the dealership on my behalf. I now have an appointment next Wednesday.This noise is really driving me bat @$% crazy. 
Hopefully you guys bikes will have no issues.
2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

The noise went away after romping on it a bit it got really warmed up. But it never made that noise before. and it happened 3 times today
So did the noise go away "after romping on it" or did it return again?

Thinking that if it no longer is making the noise, could it have been that the cam chain tensioner just needed to advance to put the proper tension on the chain?  (Just a thought.)

Yep it would quit and then start right back up when bike cooled a bit. It is getting worse (louder) so I'm going to park the bike until I drop it off at dealership next week. I'm not very happy .... Doing more research it seems that Yamaha is currently on [strong][em]revision #3[/em][/strong] of the Cam Chain Tensioner....... :(
2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

Yep it would quit and then start right back up when bike cooled a bit. It is getting worse (louder) so I'm going to park the bike until I drop it off at dealership next week. I'm not very happy .... Doing more research it seems that Yamaha is currently on [strong][em]revision #3[/em][/strong] of the Cam Chain Tensioner....... :(

My FZ-09 has that same sound, and I am about to get update #3 cct. I'm sick of t an was hoping that it would be corrected on the FJ-09. All bikes have their quirks, but this one is so annoying.

A lot of FZ-09 riders say "To hell with it!" and simply install an APE CCT unit instead.  

Easy to do and never look back. 
Seems odd that Yamaha can't get this issue resolved.   

They had cct issues with the FJR early on, made a revision and it's seems to no longer be an issue. 

With the FJR, it was quite a few miles before the symptoms became noticeable, like 20-30k miles, not in only 500 or 1,000 miles.

My FZ-09 has that same sound, and I am about to get update #3 cct. I'm sick of t an was hoping that it would be corrected on the FJ-09. All bikes have their quirks, but this one is so annoying.
Yep, I totally get that. But coming from a brand where I was holding my breath hoping that the final drive didn't fail or the clutch slave cylinder didn't leak, contaminating the dry clutch resulting in thousands of dollars in damage....this is a minor repair. And Yamaha isn't the only brand having problems getting the hydraulically adjusted CCT right.

On my DRZ-400 I removed the cct and installed a manual cct and just adjust it once in a while. I may do the same on this platform.

• Premium Member
Yep, I totally get that. But coming from a brand where I was holding my breath hoping that the final drive didn't fail or the clutch slave cylinder didn't leak, contaminating the dry clutch resulting in thousands of dollars in damage....this is a minor repair. And Yamaha isn't the only brand having problems getting the hydraulically adjusted CCT right.
On my DRZ-400 I removed the cct and installed a manual cct and just adjust it once in a while. I may do the same on this platform.
Me too, but so far mine is quiet. Put a manual CCT on my CRF250X. Adjust it once per year or when it gets noisy.  
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Just dropped the bike off at dealership.... Dude was already acting like there wasn't a problem before a tech has even looked at it.....fingers crossed they fix it.
That seems to be a common practice at most shops, "wasn't a problem" or "we've never seen or heard of that before".

Hopefully the technician is more intelligent than the dude!

My dealer told me it works on oil pressure. The oil needs to warm up to operating temperature(thereby increasing pressure) for the tensioner to perform properly. I suspect this is what's going on with your bike. The noise is only an annoyance. Mechanically there is no danger of damage to your bike. This is what I'm hearing from the guru's.

Having said that....it's still an annoyance.

My dealer told me it works on oil pressure. The oil needs to warm up to operating temperature(thereby increasing pressure) for the tensioner to perform properly. I suspect this is what's going on with your bike. The noise is only an annoyance. Mechanically there is no danger of damage to your bike. This is what I'm hearing from the guru's. 
Having said that....it's still an annoyance.
Mine recently started doing this as well, and I'm at 800kms. First service is at 1000kms, so I wonder if this is partially brought on by the oil being dirty, filled with metal shavings, and just being ready to be changed. I figured it was nuisance more than issue, so my plan was to see how it is after the first service and if clean oil takes the sound away.  

Archived