Strange noise coming from engine ! FJ-09 Cam Chain

It would be interesting to see who makes Yamalube for Yamaha.

But I can be sure it's not any better than Mobil 1.
Or any other quality synthetic out there.

My guess is it's produced and packed by one of the large oil companies, but that's just common sense. (Just like Yamaha does not make it's own oil filters, gaskets, bolts, pistons, rods and most of the bike. )

Subcontractors make all that stuff from what Yamaha designs, or specifies when they bid for the work. Probably 80% of the bike is made by other suppliers, and Yamaha assembles the bike from those parts and the ones they do make.

Cool thing is suppliers like Brembo do brakes, Asin transmission parts, LUK and others all supply parts to the industry. They buy their bearings off the shelf like the rest of the industry. Some are custom made for the application, but others are "sourced" from existing stock to keep prices down. (And the parts lists can show what parts are used across various lines/companies etc.)

The CCT in question, was not built by Yamaha, but designed for this bike/engine.

And it's a failed/flawed design from the start.
Yamaha and the supplier have revised it now FOUR TIMES. And it's still a design that will ultimately fail with use.
Flowing more oil is a band aid fix. Not a solution to the problem.

My opinion, and that's all it is... A bike with valves that you have to shim as they wear, should have no issue with a CCT that is manual, set it and forget it for tens of thousands of miles, and when you adjust the valves, you check the tension on the cam chain and adjust as needed.

But that would be too simple, too cheap and too darn effective.

All hail the "Rube Goldberg" design that Yamaha keeps attempting to perfect.

There is a reason that Hydrogen air ships went out of style... Too dangerous for the comfort and luxury they offered to the patrons of the day.

Same is true of this latest crop of "ratcheting" and self adjusting CCT's.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporting Member
Is this part a long wait item? My dealer tells me its been a week and no parts. And that he can't stock them. That a VIN must accompany the order.
My dealer ordered mine when I purchased the bike and I was told then that it was on back order direct from Japan.  It took about 3 months to arrive in my case. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Just got mine done - ordered it over the winter and brought it in last week to get the improved clutch cable and all fluids, including brake fluid, swapped over at 2+ year point. 7100+ miles. Intend to do a 2500+ in the summer - now that I think the clutch cable won't break on a whim. Engine no longer sounds like a threshing machine - but still has some clutch basket rattle...
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

What's funny is Yamaha has the clutch cable in their parts bin that solves the issue.

It's the one for the R1.

No bend at the bars. Slightly longer.
No more broken cable, and it's smoother in use.

And the clutch arm from the retro Yamaha that uses the CP3 engine? It's slightly longer, so your clutch pull effort is slightly less.

Then again, the new FJ has the slipper clutch that has much less effort needed from the start.

• 5 months later...
Is there any kind of recall for this? I'm getting slightly concerned overall about some of these known issues.

I Just started hearing what I think is the cam chain noise noise. I'm coming up on 1000 miles, but haven't even had my 2015 fj09 bike for a month.

Also, I was just in the fz09 forum looking at that shift shaft recall. According to the list of affected vins per one if their letter, my 2015 fj09 should be one of them. But my vin is not showing any recalls on the nhtsa.gov site...

Since I'm coming up on 1000 miles, is it a good time to make some inquiries and get my first service done?

Safety is #1 priority. What's best course if action?

Also, sometimes the bike doesn't wanna go into first. But I remember this being common to just about every cycle I've owned (xr400, f4i, r6, 250 xcw). Is thos just a problem common to all cycle trannies? Or should I be concerned about it on my new fj?

Help is much appreciated.

Is there any kind of recall for this? I'm getting slightly concerned overall about some of these known issues. I was just in the fz09 forum looking at that shift shaft recall. According to the list of affected vins per one if their letter, my 2015 fj09 should be one of them. But my vin is not showing any recalls on the nhtsa.gov site. The bike was just sold to me as new though. I'm coming up on 1000 miles, is it a good time to make these inquiries and get my first service done? 
Safety is my #1 priority,

its not a recall but rather a technical service alert...your gonna have to bring your bike in to a dealership for them to determine if your CCT neededs to be replaced or not... the clutch basket also makes a rattle sounds in N but goes away when clutch is pulled in... you may be hearing more noises if your still on that same oil the bike came with from the factory since the oil is probably junk by now if its still the same oil from the factory...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Is there any kind of recall for this? I'm getting slightly concerned overall about some of these known issues. I was just in the fz09 forum looking at that shift shaft recall. According to the list of affected vins per one if their letter, my 2015 fj09 should be one of them. But my vin is not showing any recalls on the nhtsa.gov site. The bike was just sold to me as new though. I'm coming up on 1000 miles, is it a good time to make these inquiries and get my first service done? 
Safety is my #1 priority,

its not a recall but rather a technical service alert...your gonna have to bring your bike in to a dealership for them to determine if your CCT neededs to be replaced or not... the clutch basket also makes a rattle sounds in N but goes away when clutch is pulled in...

Thanks for a quick reply. I'll have to test with the clutch lever in tomorrow. Definitely coming from the front right side of the motor though.

I guess a technical service alert is better than a recall...im just concerned that the Yamaha letter said don't ride at all. My fj is currently my only form of transportation and I'll really be sol if it has major downtime.

its not a recall but rather a technical service alert...your gonna have to bring your bike in to a dealership for them to determine if your CCT neededs to be replaced or not... the clutch basket also makes a rattle sounds in N but goes away when clutch is pulled in...
Thanks for a quick reply. I'll have to test with the clutch lever in tomorrow. Definitely coming from the front right side of the motor though.

I guess a technical service alert is better than a recall...im just concerned that the Yamaha letter said don't ride at all. My fj is currently my only form of transportation and I'll really be sol if it has major downtime.

some dealership are like that...my dealership is still waiting for me to drop the bike off for the handlebar recall after almost 5k miles this summer, the parts are just collecting dust they say ?... my CCT does make a little noise but it still functional after all the aggressive riding I do... I just make it a habit to check to make sure the handlebars bolts are still tight once a week till I bring my bike in...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Legally, they have to do that. You assume the risk of riding it before it’s fixed.

But here’s the thing: the only difference now is that you KNOW this info.
I don’t know of anyone that had one break. Be firm with the shifter, but don’t kick it.

Regarding the CCT: I highly doubt you are in danger with a bike that only has <1k miles. This engine has some noise characteristics. Stop by the dealer, I’m sure they’ll take a second to listen to it and ease your mind.

This is a wonderful bike with a couple minor things that the early models need some simple things changed. There’s really only 2 recalls and 2 Bulletins on this bike.

Stress not.
Oh and btw, mine has 25k miles. I think our mileage winner on the forum, Redfj09er has already pushed past 50k with no issues.

-Skip

Legally, they have to do that. You assume the risk of riding it before it’s fixed.  
But here’s the thing: the only difference now is that you KNOW this info.
I don’t know of anyone that had one break. Be firm with the shifter, but don’t kick it.

Regarding the CCT: I highly doubt you are in danger with a bike that only has <1k miles. This engine has some noise characteristics. Stop by the dealer, I’m sure they’ll take a second to listen to it and ease your mind.

This is a wonderful bike with a couple minor things that the early models need some simple things changed. There’s really only 2 recalls and 2 Bulletins on this bike.

Stress not.
Oh and btw, mine has 25k miles. I think our mileage winner on the forum, Redfj09er has already pushed past 50k with no issues.

-Skip

Glad to hear all that, thanks for the info, much appreciated. The noise is definitely not the clutch and is rpm dependent. Sounds just like the videos and whats been described here, right location too. :/

I'll try to get it to the dealer, hopefully things have slowed down with the approach of fall and they can get me in on short notice. It's an hour away so I can't just pop in...

I'm aware of the handlebar recall, what's the other one? And what's the other service bulletin aside from the shift shaft?

Archived