Strange noise coming from engine ! FJ-09 Cam Chain

Just a bit of an update. I took the bike into the dealer Cycle Works in Red Deer. Wouldn't you know it - the bike makes the noise when first started this morning, on the way to work, at work (recorded it). Then when I left work to run into the dealer it made the noise. Then as I was leaving our work area it made the noise. I was riding slowly in 1st, gave it a bit of gas (not much though) and then let off the throttle as I was approaching a stop sign. The noise became quite noticeable and then it stopped completely. The bike sounded so sweet. I got to the dealer and had it up to 120 km or so on Hwy 2 on the way. I played the video taken this morning to the salesman and the service manager. The clanking was very noticeable in the video and the dealer staff acknowledged this. We then went and started the bike and as I had told the staff the bike sounded fine. I went over my experience when the noise stopped when leaving work. The service manager said he had seen this before and indicated that likely the tensioner mechanism was just on the threshold of advancing and did so thus tightening things up with the result that the clanking went away.  
I was impressed with how they handled the situation and didn't blow me off or minimize my concerns. The young manager said to keep an eye on it and if it started up again they would replace it. The bike is still under warranty so I will leave it for now.

I think caution is needed to make sure one doesn't mistake some of the normal noise coming from the clutch. This clutch noise changes when the clutch lever is pulled in and released, while the clanking noise related to the cam chain tensioner stays the same regardless of whether the clutch is pulled in or out.

Maybe when the bike is off warranty and the CCT noise comes back I may then look at the ape manual CCT.
Another update.  I was into Cycle Works in Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, July 9, 2016 to pick up an oil filter and the service guy said they just got my parts in for the CCT upgrade.  Previously, when I had it in and it stopped making the noise as I was heading into Cycle Works, the service tech said to keep an eye on it.  Fortunately, I had several videos with the noise being quite evident.   Yamaha Canada and Red Deer Cycle works looked after this without me asking them to.  Took the bike in on Thursday, July 14, 2016 and they did the upgrade under the recall without any charge.  Seems to be quieter.  Check with your dealer on this.   
Kelly

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Installed the APE tensioner this weekend (don't want to wait for the TSB parts). Much bigger pain than I was expecting due to how hard it is to get to the rear bolt on the tensioner mounting bracket.

I'm a little nervous about whether I have it at a good setting though. I looked on the FZ-09 forums and looks like most guys there have 8-9 threads visible after the jam nut. Can anyone here who's installed it either take a picture or let me know how many threads on the adjuster screw you have exposed?

Mine's going in for it's 4000 mile service and the dealer - Coleman's in Falls Church VA - will replace the tensioner this Friday. I'll let you know how it works out on Saturday. Clutch basket rattle when it's warm is usually worse. But when it does rattle, it's loud.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

Since I was the one that started this thread last year is has grown some O_o
I just got my bike back yesterday with the bulletin completed on the cam chain... I kinda feel vindicated as I was one of the first to raise hell with Yamaha to begin with.
2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

• 1 month later...
So,

A few weeks out of warranty and four days before I plan to do about two thousand miles and take my only two-wheeled vacation this year I'm introduced to this spectacular piece of engineering with only 4K on my bike. I did my research, ordered the part and came to find I didn't research it well enough. I've got the replacement part in the mail, I've got the gasket in the mail for the tensioner. I didn't, however, think that I would be removing the side so I don't have a gasket there and it won't be here in time for the work.

If the local dealerships don't have it in stock, i'm going to be forced to try and re-use the gasket if I can or rely on RTV. . . or, and I realize this is a little cowboy, has anyone swapped this thing without removing the side case? Is it really that big of a concern to just swap it? I've read people's accounts on how loose the chain is without, but I'm reminded of the cautions that came along with working on the 4g63s back in the day where you pretty much had to try to make it skip a tooth.

• Premium Member
So,  
A few weeks out of warranty and four days before I plan to do about two thousand miles and take my only two-wheeled vacation this year I'm introduced to this spectacular piece of engineering with only 4K on my bike. I did my research, ordered the part and came to find I didn't research it well enough. I've got the replacement part in the mail, I've got the gasket in the mail for the tensioner. I didn't, however, think that I would be removing the side so I don't have a gasket there and it won't be here in time for the work.

If the local dealerships don't have it in stock, i'm going to be forced to try and re-use the gasket if I can or rely on RTV. . . or, and I realize this is a little cowboy, has anyone swapped this thing without removing the side case? Is it really that big of a concern to just swap it? I've read people's accounts on how loose the chain is without, but I'm reminded of the cautions that came along with working on the 4g63s back in the day where you pretty much had to try to make it skip a tooth.
Mine, and most I've read about, had the side case come off cleanly. No new gasket needed. YMMV. Are you replacing with the OEM replacement or APE? APE comes with the CCT gasket.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I bought the OEM replacement(v4), however I'm realizing at this point it's a bit more involved and being that Yamaha is on their fourth revision of this I also didn't order all the parts I needed.

I have zero confidence in Yamaha to fix this issue at this point. While I'd ordered the OEM replacement, It seems there's one solution here that works going forward and is proven where OEM solutions aren't. While I've ordered some of the OEM parts, the more I read, the less faith I've got in Yamaha's ability to resolve this on their own.

To think, I was giving my neighbor with a Ducati a hard time about reliability the other day.

Brian- you don't need to remove the side, or RH crankcase cover to replace the tensioner.

Yamaha DOES recommend that you replace one of the valve cover bolts, with one that allows more oil to reach the tensioner.

That is something I would be sure to get.

Skip

My local dealer replaced mine a few weeks ago after taking my word for it that the CCT was actually noisy. Not a single sound since it was replaced. One thing you don't mention in your post is if yours is noisy. If yours is noisy, why would you buy the parts? Why not let them fix it for free? I know you said you're a few weeks out of warranty, but this isn't a warranty issue. I don't believe the TSB specifies that the bike is still within the warranty period.

• Premium Member
My local dealer replaced mine a few weeks ago after taking my word for it that the CCT was actually noisy. Not a single sound since it was replaced. One thing you don't mention in your post is if yours is noisy. If yours is noisy, why would you buy the parts? Why not let them fix it for free? I know you said you're a few weeks out of warranty, but this isn't a warranty issue. I don't believe the TSB specifies that the bike is still within the warranty period.
It's not a warranty issue. Mine was replaced free after my warranty had expired.

Time was the big thing here and aside from dealer constraints, it was about the worst week for me to have something break.  
Couldn't get in Tues or Wed this week which put me up against the butt of my trip. Doing it on Thursday, at least I could rely on myself. Unfortunately I didn't do my homework well and wound up short on parts to implement the fix correctly. The cost of the parts and the time to fix it is still less hassle than getting it to and leaving it at a dealer to be diagnosed and fixed. Unfortunately, with that, I approached it as if I was doing the rev3 fix with rev4 parts and later realized it was different.  I might still be able to get the parts or an APE part before hand and wind up getting it buttoned up....but yeah, time. . . 

• 6 months later...
My 2015 fj-09 started making that same noise as I pulled into the garage last weekend.  I shut off the bike and came back out to video document it, and the noise was gone and hadn't come back since. I took it to the dealer today, gave them the VIN, and they said that per Yamaha, the cam chain tensioner had already been changed before I bought the bike. 
No idea why the noise went away, but the service guy said that Yamalube helps keep noises down and that I should use that next oil change. It's cheaper than Mobil 1, so maybe...  4000+ miles and the bike's been perfect, but I wish I knew why the chain rattle noise came and went away, but maybe it's nothing to worry about. I got the warranty until 2021, so I guess I'll just ride. 

Thanks for your suggestions. I may consider different oil, I've always liked Mobil 1, but there's been no unusual noises except for that one time. The tensioner may have been intermittently sticking, so if it gives me trouble again, I'll just get the APE tensioner and not worry about it. 

Archived