Recommendations on riding in Utah

betoney

• Supporting Member
I am planning our annual road trip, and this year we have decided on Utah as our destination.  A group of us start from the Seattle area and each year we pick a different destination.

What I am looking for is opinions or recommendations on "must ride" roads, everyone in our group enjoys spirited canyon or mountain riding, be it twisties or high speed sweepers.  The only route we have committed to so far is Hwy 12, - Bryce through Escalante to Torrey and continue on 24 to Hanksville.
BTW, we don't plan on riding any interstate except as a necessity to connect to "good roads".

We would also be grateful for any and all recommendations on hotels and restaurants around some of the scenic areas, as a lot of the twisty roads seem to be off the beaten path, possibly out of range of lodging.

Finally, we want to avoid the killer heat of Summer but don't want to encounter any roads that might be snowed in due to high elevation, what time of year is best?

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
I know you said no Interstates. But.....

A couple years ago I spent 3 weeks driving from LA. to Ft. Lauderdale Florida. We said the same thing. However we ended up on I-70 between Salinas UT and Grand Junction CO. The only Interstate on the trip. fwiw

I've driven all over America, mostly off the I's and that's one of the prettiest roads I've been on. Like driving through a Howard Hawks movie.

Not real challenging though.....

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

This is the itinerary for our Utah tour in 2015: 

Highlights:
Valley of Fire State park right outside of Vegas
Zion National Park
Bryce Canyon
Escalanate Grand Staircase
Short hike at Frog Hollow
Arches
Don't miss the Mokey Dugway
Monument Valley
Caves at Page Utah

Thursday, April 23
Las Vegas
Arrive at 10:20 am
Pick up Bikes at noon
6675 S Tenaya Way, Las Vegas, NV 89113
(702) 454-6269 Ride: 3:00 hours
150 miles
Via:
Valley of Fire State Park St. George, Utah Best Western Travel Inn
316 E Saint George Blvd
St. George, Utah
+14356733541
Friday, April 24
St. George, UT Ride to Zion National Park, 1:00 hours – 47 miles, scenic highway
Visit Zion National Park
Ride to Bryce Canyon National Park, 2:00 hours – 85 miles Bryce Canyon, Utah Best Western Plus Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel
30 North 100 East
Bryce Canyon, UT
+14358345700
Saturday, April 25
Torrey, UT Visit Bryce Canyon
Ride to Torrey UT:
2:30 hours – 115 miles
Scenic highway Torrey, Utah Austin's Chuckwagon Lodge
12 West Main Street
Torrey, UT
+14354253335
Sunday, April 26
Mexican Hat, UT Ride to Mexican Hat: 3:15 hours – 173 miles
Scenic highway
Visit Natural Bridges Nat’l Monument Mexican Hat, UT Hat Rock Inn
120 U.S. 163 Scenic, Mexican Hat, UT 84531
435-683-2221

Monday, April 27
Page, AZ Ride to Page:
3:00 hours – 154 miles
Scenic highway
Visit Monument Valley, Riverbend Page AZ Comfort Inn & Suites Page
890 Haul Road
Page, AZ
+19286456931
Tuesday, April 28
St. George, UT Ride to St. George
3:00 hours, 150 miles St. George, UT Inn On The Cliff
511 S. Airport Road
St. George, UT
+14352165864
Wednesday, April 29
Las Vegas, NV
6675 S Tenaya Way, Las Vegas, NV 89113
(702) 454-6269 Ride to Las Vegas
3:00 – 150 miles
Return bikes by noon
Taxi to airport Flight home: 2:40 pm
Nevada is in the Pacific time zone, so there is an hour difference with Mountain time (so, if you fly into Las Vegas and head into Utah, you will lose an hour; you get that hour back when you return from Utah to Las Vegas for the flight home). Arrive Phila at 10:20 pm

• Supporting Member
Thank You Guys!!! GREAT info. This definitely gives me resources to get started on a rough draft route plan!
We haven't nailed down a definite time of year yet, but I have always heard "avoid summertime", maybe mid to late June or after Labor Day?

South and east of I70 & I15 is nirvana. That entire area could be renamed Utah NP. 12, 14, 24, 95, 276 and Burr Trail Rd are must rides. As for some neat places to stay, Quail Park Lodge in Kanab for that 50's vibe, park your bike right at your door. Kiva Koffeehouse in Escalante, but they only have 2 rooms. Very unique experience there. The Torrey Schoolhouse is a unique B&B in Torrey. San Juan Inn in Mexican Hat. Buy a wet vest, and mesh gear and go have fun. In August you will run across many Europeans on vacation throughout the Big 5 and the Staircase. While warmer, it's less crowded.

• Premium Member
Also, since you're coming down from Washington: if you are on I-84 the side trip out to Promontory in northern Utah is worthwhile. The roads are nice and UT-83 takes you past the Orbital ATK manufacturing facility. They have an impressive display of rockets, including a full SRB from the Space Shuttle.

I am planning our annual road trip, and this year we have decided on Utah as our destination.  A group of us start from the Seattle area and each year we pick a different destination.  
What I am looking for is opinions or recommendations on "must ride" roads, everyone in our group enjoys spirited canyon or mountain riding, be it twisties or high speed sweepers.  The only route we have committed to so far is Hwy 12, - Bryce through Escalante to Torrey and continue on 24 to Hanksville.
BTW, we don't plan on riding any interstate except as a necessity to connect to "good roads".

We would also be grateful for any and all recommendations on hotels and restaurants around some of the scenic areas, as a lot of the twisty roads seem to be off the beaten path, possibly out of range of lodging.

Finally, we want to avoid the killer heat of Summer but don't want to encounter any roads that might be snowed in due to high elevation, what time of year is best?

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations.

You don't mention any place you want to go to, or how long.  Both may help in determining good advice.  How many miles do you ride per day?  What kind of motels do you normally stay in?  Do you end the day with a cold one or shower?  just kidding.  Have you given any thought to stagging at one or two locations and doing loop rides from the base? 
Here is an idea for a Utah ride:

5036698.jpg

5036699.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Supporting Member
You don't mention any place you want to go to, or how long.  Both may help in determining good advice.  How many miles do you ride per day?  What kind of motels do you normally stay in?  Do you end the day with a cold one or shower?  just kidding.  Have you given any thought to stagging at one or two locations and doing loop rides from the base?
Red 
Thank You for the route maps.  Last year we did stage outside Reno at a friends house and rode some great areas in N. Cali.  We usually try to keep the mileage at a little over 400 miles a day, but with so much to see in Utah, I'm sure that will be closer to 300.  And yes, the end of the day always ends with both a shower and a cold one.    ;)   The route you proposed getting to and from Utah looks very similar to what we are planning.

Archived