• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Tracer 900 GT?

keithu

There's still no sign of the release of the GT onto the Australian market. I have asked the Yamaha HQ here to add my name to any list of people who have been enquiring about it, which they have said they will do. I shall not be holding my breath, however! The latter part of the year is when the various State-based motorbike shows are held, so I'll be holding out for those too. 
If any Oz riders hear before I do, please communicate here!
UPDATED Aug 10th.   With faint hope I asked my local dealer if he had any updates - he didn't.   The earlier Tracers seem to have sold very poorly on the Australian market, so I guess that Yamaha may not even bother with the GT here.   Whatever - the Melbourne Bike Show is being run on November 23 to 25, and I plan to visit that in hope of at least seeing the GT in the flesh.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello, so today I made some kind of experiments with my breakes. I put small pieces of the titty into the crack of the brake discs. So to block her movement. I also looked at brake pads that also move in the clamps.
The results of the experiment are as follows:
1. the first drive, unfortunately, was knocking.
2. the second ride accelerated faster and I pressed the brake before the decelerating threshold. And you could not hear the tap smiley.png.

Hmm, there are two conclusions that it is the brake pads and discs that cause a knock that moves over the entire suspension.
It is also possible that when braking, the suspension bends and selects the clearances that cause a knock.

For my own peace, I accept the versions that it is a knock from the braking system.

There is no possibility of blocking and discs and blocks that would not move and make an experiment.

Does it do it after the rotors warm up and expand or only when cold? If only when cold it's the floating rotors that are the problem. 
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

• Supporting Member
My 19 Tracer GT has the knock in the brakes when the rotors are cold. So assume it's the rotor buttons, all my bikes have floating rotors and none of them make this noise.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,
since the thread about knocking is dying out I have a question. Maybe someone has some email to yamaha what the headquarters to interest the manufacturer in this problem. Unfortunately, for me, dealers do not have a clue what is knocking and shooting blindly.
Regards

• 2 weeks later...
i put the touring windscreen on and get a little clicking sound over bumps from the windshield base, i think. could that be it?

Yep. It’s my noise. I took the sheild off and no knock for me. It the rubber that meets the sheild.

• 2 weeks later...
The seat however is a weird design. When fully back on the seat it wants to vault me forward non-stop which is very uncomfortable. Does anyone else experience the same and would moving the seat into the higher setting resolve/mitigate the issue? I'm going to try it but was just wondering.
Same experience here, Dude.  The seat tilts me forward no matter what.  My seat is also raised to the High setting.  No difference between that and the Low setting...the tilt is still there and is still annoying and uncomfortable.  Feels like the rear area of the seat could be scalped away a bit to flatten it and eliminate the tilt.  This seat is not long for this life...
Just a thought...have you tried an Airhawk seat cushion?  You can slide it forward and have it negate the forward tilt.  And it is a lot cheaper than a new seat. 
The secret to an Airhawk being comfortable is to let out as much air as you think will work...then let out some more.  You want only the barest amount in there.

• Supporting Member
Thanks for the info, Daboo.  I've heard of the Airhawk but have never tried one.  Definitely another option in this little quest for a better seat.
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

I have no trouble with the seat at all.  I understand that it tilts forward a little, but certainly no big deal.  The seat is designed to have your crotch up against the fuel tank.  That's where you should be when riding the twisties.  I just got back from a 1200 mile ride on the Tracer.  We spent a little too much time on the slab due to time constraints.  Sometimes you have to slab it to get from point A to B in a short period of time.  I found the seat to be much better than I initially thought it to be.  After riding up against the tank for a while you can scoot your butt back in various positions.  I find myself putting a little more weight on the bars when on the rear of the seat.  I'd imagine if you tried to sit too upright on the rear of the seat, you could feel yourself sliding forward some.

During the trip, we did a couple of 500 mile days.  No problem with the stock seat at all.  Could someone design a better seat?  Of course, but it would please some people and disappoint others.  We're all different.  Sometimes it's your butt that needs broken in and not the seat.  LOL.  BTW, I'm 5' 10", 180 lbs, and a 30 inch inseam.

Ride more and worry less.

• Supporting Member
 No problem with the stock seat at all.  Could someone design a better seat?  Of course, but it would please some people and disappoint others.  We're all different.  Sometimes it's your butt that needs broken in and not the seat.  LOL.  BTW, I'm 5' 10", 180 lbs, and a 30 inch inseam. 
Ride more and worry less.
Your dims are almost identical to mine, Dude.   
Except for my can, the bike fits me extremely well.  That seat just isn't workin' for me.

Count yourself lucky, indeed.
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

Same experience here, Dude.  The seat tilts me forward no matter what.  My seat is also raised to the High setting.  No difference between that and the Low setting...the tilt is still there and is still annoying and uncomfortable.  Feels like the rear area of the seat could be scalped away a bit to flatten it and eliminate the tilt.  This seat is not long for this life...
Just a thought...have you tried an Airhawk seat cushion?  You can slide it forward and have it negate the forward tilt.  And it is a lot cheaper than a new seat. 
The secret to an Airhawk being comfortable is to let out as much air as you think will work...then let out some more.  You want only the barest amount in there.
I have tried my old Airhawk seat (size medium) and it enhances the "slide-into-tank" problem because it's more slippery than the seat surface.
Never had that problem on my other bikes (ZX9R, Super Duke 990, XSR900 etc)

Archived