Tracer 900 GT?

keithu

• Premium Member
http://www.motorcycle.com/features/yamaha-tracer-gt-trardemark-filed-europe.html

The article laughably suggests that maybe this GT will be "a more comfortable version of the FJ-09 to compete with the BMW F800GT."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the FJ/Tracer already competition for the F800GT? Sure, the Yamaha offers a very similar size and feature set, considerably more power, and a lower price. But the BMW has... umm... a blue and white roundel.

I'm sure this new Tracer GT will be based on the FZ/MT-10. Give the FZ-10 a bit of a fairing, 75 miles more fuel range, and decent luggage and it'd be direct competition for the Super Duke GT and S1000XR. I think I could be tempted to trade in my FJ for such a beast.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.motorcycle.com/features/yamaha-tracer-gt-trardemark-filed-europe.html 
The article laughably suggests that maybe this GT will be "a more comfortable version of the FJ-09 to compete with the BMW F800GT."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the FJ/Tracer already competition for the F800GT? Sure, the Yamaha offers a very similar size and feature set, considerably more power, and a lower price. But the BMW has... umm... a blue and white roundel.

I'm sure this new Tracer GT will be based on the FZ/MT-10. Give the FZ-10 a bit of a fairing, 75 miles more fuel range, and decent luggage and it'd be direct competition for the Super Duke GT and S1000XR. I think I could be tempted to trade in my FJ for such a beast.

For the sound alone I'd trade it in for a fj-10 with a aftermarket can.
'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

OK, now it seems plausible. The other day I dropped into the dealer to arrange to have the bar risers replaced under the recall and a Yamaha rep was there and mentioned to me a touring model of the FJ to be released next year with a plusher/roomier seat, touring screen, saddlebags, side covers painted to match the bike colour AND cruise control available as an option, when I asked him if the fuel tank would increase in volume he stated that as far as he was aware this was not an issue, guess he doesn't do much touring. Would imagine the price jump to be substantial.

I am guessing that the part he forgot to mention was that the GT will probably only be available in Europe

Cheers

OK, now it seems plausible. The other day I dropped into the dealer to arrange to have the bar risers replaced under the recall and a Yamaha rep was there and mentioned to me a touring model of the FJ to be released next year with a plusher/roomier seat, touring screen, saddlebags, side covers painted to match the bike colour AND cruise control available as an option, when I asked him if the fuel tank would increase in volume he stated that as far as he was aware this was not an issue, guess he doesn't do much touring. Would imagine the price jump to be substantial. 
I am guessing that the part he forgot to mention was that the GT will probably only be available in Europe

Cheers

Did he say what model name it would have in the US? I bet it comes with Cruise Control..

Cheers

Did he say what model name it would have in the US? I bet it comes with Cruise Control..No he did not mention it and I had not seen the article at that point and didn't bother to ask. But I have to give kudos to the guy because the dealer put me at the bottom of the notification list for when the risers become available because I didn't purchase the bike from them so he stepped in and said that wasn't acceptable and made them move me up the list to the #11 position which I was very grateful for. 
Cheers

GT Tracer = Super Tenere? ...I forsee a CP3 motor in the Super Tenere since the line up is missing a bike between the 500cc to 1100cc range in the Super Teneres it seems...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Not so sure if a GT model comes that it would be the MT/FZ10-powered bike, but what Yamaha should have come out with already-a FJ09/MT09 Tracer set up with the heated grips, CRUISE, and the hard saddlebags.

Time will tell.

• Premium Member
GT Tracer = Super Tenere? ...I forsee a CP3 motor in the Super Tenere since the line up is missing a bike between the 500cc to 1100cc range in the Super Teneres it seems...
Look up the Yamaha T7. They showed a concept last year, it'll almost certainly be a production model for 2018. It's an adventure bike based on the FZ-07 motor.

I doubt anything called "GT" will be an adventure bike. GT = Grand Tourer and usually refers to a fast, street-oriented sport tourer.

But the BMW has... umm... a blue and white roundel. 

Why 'laughably'?   And the BMW F800 GT has belt-drive, about which opinions will vary, but surely worth considering in a GT/ touring context. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
Why 'laughably'?   And the BMW F800 GT has belt-drive, about which opinions will vary, but surely worth considering in a GT/ touring context.
Well for starters the BMW is down 23-25hp on the Yamaha, depending on which dyno chart you read. The two bikes weigh basically the same so I expect the riding experience to be quite different on the two.

The only points in the F800GT's favor are the belt drive and better fuel economy. These make it a better commuter, perhaps. But otherwise there's no comparison really.

An F800GT was among the bikes I test rode before I decided on the FJ-09. Among the half-dozen bikes I tried, it was easily the most boring.

Regarding Tracer GT - here's a new theory: Given that Yamaha seems to be trying to establish the "Tracer" name for their touring bikes (in Europe at least), what if the "Tracer GT" is really just rebranding of the FJR1300?

• Premium Member
Regarding Tracer GT - here's a new theory: Given that Yamaha seems to be trying to establish the "Tracer" name for their touring bikes (in Europe at least), what if the "Tracer GT" is really just rebranding of the FJR1300?
Or, the Tracer GT could be a replacement for the FJR since Yamaha would have no need for two 4 cylinder touring bikes.  Also, I noticed that the 2017 FJR1300A is not sold in the US.

However the 2017 FJR1300ES is still sold in US.

• Premium Member
what if the "Tracer GT" is really just rebranding of the FJR1300?
That seems plausible.

It may be that an FJ10 GT is just wishful thinking on my part. From a business standpoint it seems like something that would cannibalize sales from the existing FJR1300 and FJ09, and perhaps even the Super Tenere.

what if the "Tracer GT" is really just rebranding of the FJR1300?
That seems plausible.  
It may be that an FJ10 GT is just wishful thinking on my part. From a business standpoint it seems like something that would cannibalize sales from the existing FJR1300 and FJ09, and perhaps even the Super Tenere.

The FJR is getting a little long in the tooth. It would make sense for Yamaha to discontinue the FJR and replace it with a hypothetical FJ10 using the same engine as the FZ10 but putting it in a touring package with a fairing, a big tank, larger bags and plusher seat. All the sport DNA of an R1 in a more luxurious touring package.

That seems plausible.  
The FJR is getting a little long in the tooth. It would make sense for Yamaha to discontinue the FJR and replace it with a hypothetical FJ10 using the same engine as the FZ10 but putting it in a touring package with a fairing, a big tank, larger bags and plusher seat. All the sport DNA of an R1 in a more luxurious touring package.
If you go to Yamaha's website, they have a new category of bikes.. "Transcontinental Touring" and they are announcing something June 5th.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived