• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Tracer 900 GT?

keithu

That seems plausible.  
It may be that an FJ10 GT is just wishful thinking on my part. From a business standpoint it seems like something that would cannibalize sales from the existing FJR1300 and FJ09, and perhaps even the Super Tenere.
The FJR is getting a little long in the tooth. It would make sense for Yamaha to discontinue the FJR and replace it with a hypothetical FJ10 using the same engine as the FZ10 but putting it in a touring package with a fairing, a big tank, larger bags and plusher seat. All the sport DNA of an R1 in a more luxurious touring package.

Screenshot_20170512-124055.png

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
It would make sense for Yamaha to discontinue the FJR and replace it with a hypothetical FJ10 using the same engine as the FZ10 but putting it in a touring package with a fairing, a big tank, larger bags and plusher seat. All the sport DNA of an R1 in a more luxurious touring package.
An FJR replacement would also need shaft drive. I know there are varying opinions about shaft drive, but many in the FJR's target market simply won't take it seriously if it has a chain.

Remember the GTS1000? Chain drive skewered its chances of drawing any customers away from BMW or the ST1100.

• Supporting Member
Remember the GTS1000? Chain drive skewered its chances of drawing any customers away from BMW or the ST1100.
Not only do I remember the GTS1000, I got to spend a full week riding one, courtesy of a good friend who was a regional Yamaha rep at the time.   It was an amazing bike for the era... way ahead of its time with the RADD swingarm front suspension, 'Omega' frame, ABS, fuel injected five-valve motor, a nifty glovebox storage built into the fuel tank/airbox cover, et cetera.   It was smooth, fast, and sophisticated.   
I would have owned one in a heartbeat if not for the roughly $13K price tag... that was a lot of coin in 1993. 

• Premium Member
It was an amazing bike for the era... way ahead of its time with the RADD swingarm front suspension, 'Omega' frame, ABS, fuel injected five-valve motor, a nifty glovebox storage built into the fuel tank/airbox cover, et cetera.   It was smooth, fast, and sophisticated. 
Unfortunately for Yamaha the R1100RS also came out that year. It also had a revolutionary new front suspension, EFI, ABS, etc. Sure it was a little less powerful, but the BMW also had shaft drive and still managed to weigh 40lbs less than the Yamaha. And this was back when we still thought BMWs were reliable. The GTS just wasn't a good value compared to the BMW for most sport tourer shoppers.

• 5 months later...
I have noticed something interesting, on the Yamaha America and the Canadian site that under the 2018's the FJ-09 does not even show up as one of the models so I was wondering if they(the GT hopefully) will show up after the EICMA show in Milan next month.......the plot thickens!

Cheers

• Premium Member
An FJR replacement would also need shaft drive. I know there are varying opinions about shaft drive, but many in the FJR's target market simply won't take it seriously if it has a chain. 
I've got a 1994 GTS1000 with about 104,000 miles on her. Still looking good and running great!! 
gts1000.jpg
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I've got a 1994 GTS1000 with about 104,000 miles on her. Still looking good and running great!! 
gts1000.jpg
Personally I'd be more than happy with belt drive on a GT version: probably a good deal less costly than shaft, and certainly a lot lighter, which would be important on a mid-capacity bike such as the FJ/ MT-09 Tracer.   My BMW F800 GT was belt-driven and it did the job admirably.   And IMHO the single-sided swing-arm was quite attractive, and may even have helped keep weight down further.   See pic below...    
But how serious is this chatter about a GT/ dedicated Tourer - or is it just wishful thinking?   Any pix yet, even if just concept drawings??

P1010050.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
Personally I'd be more than happy with belt drive on a GT version: probably a good deal less costly than shaft, and certainly a lot lighter, which would be important on a mid-capacity bike such as the FJ/ MT-09 Tracer.   My BMW F800 GT was belt-driven and it did the job admirably.    See pic below...    

P1010050.jpg

I have a 2009 HD XR1200 with a belt drive and it works just fine. I wheelie, ride hard and have put a bunch of miles on it 50,000+. And the original belt is just fine. After initial stretch just check it for missing teeth and cracks and move along. No cleaning or oiling.  
For the life of me I don't understand why they're not on a lot more bikes....

726017.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 2 weeks later...
Come on, you've got to admit it's pretty bad-ass! I can't wait to see one in person, and I hope they blend this bike into our forum so we can see what owners think of them. It's closer to an FJ-09 than anything else so it sort of belongs here, don't you think? Hopefully they'll have one at the shows coming up this winter. ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/10/27/yamaha-niken-3-wheeler-unveiled-details-scarce-leaning-multi-wheeler/ 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_twB4OBeboU

• Supporting Member
Come on, you've got to admit it's pretty bad-ass! I can't wait to see one in person, and I hope they blend this bike into our forum so we can see what owners think of them. It's closer to an FJ-09 than anything else so it sort of belongs here, don't you think? Hopefully they'll have one at the shows coming up this winter. ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/10/27/yamaha-niken-3-wheeler-unveiled-details-scarce-leaning-multi-wheeler/  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_twB4OBeboU
I would love to see it in person, but I LOVE innovation and companies that push the envelope, it makes the competition think outside of the box to play catch-up. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Not a GT but it uses the FJ-09 engine 
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/10/27/yamaha-niken-3-wheeler-unveiled-details-scarce-leaning-multi-wheeler/

Really hope this isn't what we have been waiting for

If you wish, call me a cranky old bugger - but I wish Yamaha had spent a fraction of the R&D this would have cost on a decent seat for the FJ/ MT-09!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
I just saw the live stream of Yamaha's announcements for new models and a Tracer 900 GT is confirmed! It gets everything most of us want, too. TFT Full color dash display, fully adjustable front suspension, heated grips, color matched factory luggage, cruise control and a quick shifter is all stock on the GT model. It's like Yamaha was listening to the community or something...

Archived