how to wire-in front LEDS - help sought please...

Well! FrankQC is my new best internet buddy.   :D   You can tell from his avatar that he knows what he's doing.  Don't mess with the led circuits.  I always take my switched voltage from the tail light, but there are other sources.  Thanks for the good advice Frank!

Thanks for all the inputs on this, guys. I understood about 10% of what was written, but that's my fault, not yours. I was born ('39) about 40 years too early for all this electronological stuff to really sink in!
I might do what I've done before and found perfectly satisfactory (and easy to install), which is to go with the AdventureTech light-bar (to mount the LEDs) and their wiring harness, which incorporates an in-line fuse, switch, and relay.   Even I found that OK!   Looking at their website I see they are out-of-stock of the harness until some time in June - no biggie, as they say.
Or I may again use the shaped FJ-specific LEDs ex Korea/ E Bay that are fitted to the front of the knuckle-guards.   Used those before - they are both neat and effective and being mounted high up are readily seen.
Again, thanks.   Lots of super help to be found here! 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Did you buy this on-line, S/C - and if so how much in Aussie dollars please, incl postage?

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I have the C3 camera, bought directly from Innovv.
If I were to use a PDM I'd probably get the Innovv, $69 (I guess USD + shipping).

But i use the two cig lighters with two ebay "Tronsmart quickcharge 3" USB ports on each side, they power:
[ul type=disc][*]C3 dashcam switch
[*]phone/GPS[*]grip warmers[*]LiitoKala single 18650 charger/powerbank in tankbag.[/ul]
Driving Handguard lights are on the aux power source behind the nose.

Driving Daytime Running Lights lights are powered from the battery via fused SAE cable under the seat that doubles as tyre compressor power or could be used for a battery tender, with a relay, and a switch on the handlebars.

I had to re-terminate the portable compressor with SAE connectors to suit.

Jeesss ---- the first thing the guy said was he doesn't understand much about electricity.

https://fj-09.org/thread/986/accessory-fly-leads-instrument-cluster

Check out this thread, there are two leads available for lights behind the windshield. These leads turn on the extra lights when the engine starts. Each of these leads is protected by a 2.5 amp fuse, so you cannot add lights with higher amp rating. An amp is a measurement of amount of electricity.

You disconnect the connectors you see in the picture. Push a pin into the black plug to pull it out, there is a link to a company that provides new connectors to connect to your light wires, one hot, one ground. I seemed to get the wrong plastic connectors, but I was able to use the metal pins, solder to my wires and push the pins into the connectors you see in the picture, been working great. I just pointed the added lights down low enough to not have to turn them off when oncoming traffic is headed to me which is all I wanted or needed.  The extra lights hit the road sort of in between low and high beam.

If you are careful, you can strip the insulation off the wires to the new lights, and manually crimp the connector tabs with small needle nose pliers. Just order extra connectors and metal pins to practice a few times. No special crimping tool needed. I soldered mine, a little tricky because they are so small. But a bit off dielectric grease and shrink wrap insulation will be fine for a long time.

Another possibility is to run a separate wire with fuse off the battery, to a switch on the handle bar to the lights and ground. But then you will have to hit two switches to turn off high beams and extra lights.

I think there are other links how to tie your added lights to high beam switch, but I don't know for sure.

Thank you, xlxr, but your first sentence was a bit unnecessary if aimed at me! No point me or anybody else here claiming to be an expert, or even reasonably handy in any given field, if they're not!  But your post was useful overall...

Hey Wordsmith,
Karl wired my Rigid Industries LED spotties into the high beam, it took him some hours but the result is great.
All I have to do is flick on the high beam and all guns are blazing (saves me toggling with another switch).

I had a separate switch on my previous bike so the spotties would operate independently but found it more of a nuisance, cos then I'd forget to turn off the high beam as well...oops.

I have some FarRider friends that are reasonably electrically savvy that live in QLD if you need a hand I could ask a favour for you.

Good luck.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Hey Wordsmith, Karl wired my Rigid Industries LED spotties into the high beam, it took him some hours but the result is great.
All I have to do is flick on the high beam and all guns are blazing (saves me toggling with another switch).

I had a separate switch on my previous bike so the spotties would operate independently but found it more of a nuisance, cos then I'd forget to turn off the high beam as well...oops.

I have some FarRider friends that are reasonably electrically savvy that live in QLD if you need a hand I could ask a favour for you.

Good luck.

Thanks, kimmie (nice to catch-up again).   I'd like to have the LEDs ON all the time (to supplement to always-on half headlight), so a switch is not necessary, but I'll put one in if it seems desirable.   Like you - with a similar set-up in the past on other bikes I've sometimes forgotten to switch the LEDs on or off - [em]bummer![/em] Your offer to put me in touch with your savvy friends might be just the salvation I'm looking for: if so I'll PM you here.  

Hey Wordsmith, Karl wired my Rigid Industries LED spotties into the high beam, it took him some hours but the result is great.

Hi kimmie, Can you share with us how Karl did the electrical connection ? As I stated before, the High/Low beam switch signal on the handlebar is coming straight from an unprotected output on the ECU. If anything happens to that line (relay failure, short circuit, ...) the ECU will take the hit and fail (fact).

I'd be very interested in knowing how yours is wired up and for how long it has been holding on. Maybe he did find a better and safer way then I did ;)

Hi kimmie, Can you share with us how Karl did the electrical connection ? As I stated before, the High/Low beam switch signal on the handlebar is coming straight from an unprotected output on the ECU. If anything happens to that line (relay failure, short circuit, ...) the ECU will take the hit and fail (fact).

I'd be very interested in knowing how yours is wired up and for how long it has been holding on. Maybe he did find a better and safer way then I did ;)

I'm sure that there are a few of them wired up your way as well mate, that is exactly how I would have done it too... Maybe it was just a freak thing.. I won't be playing Guinea pig on it though!

• 2 weeks later...
FrankQC & Wordsmith - PM sent with aux light wiring details that Karl used. 

Bless you, kimmie!   I'm still awaiting delivery of my LEDs, and have spent some time figuring out the best/ easiest way to mount them, high and wide for preference!   Member here vduboy (Syd) has helped with details of his approach and I'm about ready to go once the stuff arrives.   Naturally I'll post a story and some pix when it's all up and running.   Again - thanks - and to Karl. 

FrankQC & Wordsmith - PM sent with aux light wiring details that Karl used. 

Bless you, kimmie!   I'm still awaiting delivery of my LEDs, and have spent some time figuring out the best/ easiest way to mount them, high and wide for preference!   Member here vduboy (Syd) has helped with details of his approach and I'm about ready to go once the stuff arrives.   Naturally I'll post a story and some pix when it's all up and running.   Again - thanks - and to Karl.
Oh shucks Wordy......it's nothing really...Glad to be of some help.

What goes around ya know.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)